Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,006 total)
  • Well scotland didnt get independance, thread
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

The person who brought up the alleged imminent “brain drain” is a committed Yes supporter.

Correction That person WAS a committed Yes supporter. They now no longer give a shit about Scotland, because their vision of Scotland doesn’t exist. Personally I hope the Tories ruin Scotland. The No voters made their bed, they can lie in it. It wont effect me as I wont be here.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Scotland has not changed over the past week from the wonderful place it has always been. Since when have yS stopped giving a shit. They simply lost and have been struggling to accept that. It seems they give a lot of shit and on an on-going daily basis.

Why would you want any party to ruin Scotland? And the Tories have little say after all.

Did you miss the “nah, nah, ni nah, nah” out? Seems like you must have been planning your exit well before the referendum. Scorched earth policy?

molgrips
    Free Member

Will be getting paid around 150% more for doing the same job. Living costs will be comparable.

I thought Yessers didn’t care about money?

Me and my family will be getting private healthcare as a benefit of my job.

What’s the cover like? Cos in the USA at least, private healthcare only covers so much.

In my experience, people who emigrate cos of some complaint about the UK either realise that the problem with their life wasn’t the country in which they live and/or spend the rest of their lives banging on about how great their new country is and how shit their old one was, almost as if they have to keep reaffirming their point.

They now no longer give a shit about Scotland, because their vision of Scotland doesn’t exist.

Wow, talk about fair weather friend.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bearGrease

Will be getting paid around 150% more for doing the same job.

private healthcare as a benefit of my job

Just wait for the school fees.

Hold on I thought the script was that us No voters were money grabbing scum, obsessed with only their own gain?

Personally I hope the Tories ruin Scotland. The No voters made their bed, they can lie in it.

So your true feelings for Scotland are revealed. I’d say you’ve also won the gold medal for flouncing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally I hope the Tories ruin Scotland.

By making it more like Australia? 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Will be getting paid around 150% more for doing the same job. Living costs will be comparable.

@wan I think you’ve been mislead on living costs. I see you are planning to rent rather than buy a house (much more expensive than Scotland) and you have to factor in things like pension savings.

Enjoy it, its a great country, just a b***dy long way from anywhere

As for the broader brain drain discussion I am sure there are those who are disgruntled and may up-sticks but the situation would have been far worse with a Yes vote.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Since when have yS stopped giving a shit. They simply lost and have been struggling to accept that.

not really, people still give a shit. And accept it. 50,000 people joining parties would allude to that. That’s a lot more tanglable than a pretty referendum scare story.

molgrips
    Free Member

I hope they don’t stop giving a shit.

gordimhor

Scotland has not changed over the past week

Scotland has changed a large number of it’s people are coming to / trying to come to terms with fundamental questions about their own identity. They are also trying to answer a question about national identity. do Scots exist? If you think people can go through something like that without changing and thereby changing the place they live in you have a very different understanding of people from mine.

While I do not share Wanmankylungs opinion I can understand the deep well of grief and bitter disappointment from which it comes.I believe there is a pressing need for reconciliation in Scotland In my opinion a number of no voters want a better and fairer Scotland, and are expecting Westminster to deliver change as promised and on time. Yes supporters,and the pro independence parties should work together with those moderate no voters within the union context. This does not mean people have to change their opinions, just that Scots have to work together.

seosamh77
    Free Member

They won’t, the yessers, I hate that name, are far from broken.

Some still think well get Indy in the short term mind. But I think most think it’s inevitable long term.

Personally I don’t know if it’s inevitable. What needs to happen short term though is that the Scottish parliament needs to change. We need to work towards getting the Westminster parties out of holyrood and creating a different opposition than is currently there.

I suppose the inevitability depends on what happens elsewhere. If it’s ‘business as usual’ well I dont think that bodes well.

Also, understanding Scotland as 55% no. Instead 45%+ a significant amount of no voters that want change won’t help either. I was listening to the debates in the Scottish parliament yesterday. That message hasn’t got across to some.

molgrips
    Free Member

Federalism is inevitable in the long term, I reckon.

seosamh77
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member
    They are also trying to answer a question about national identity. do Scots exist?

see I disagree with this, for some, a lot aye. But its only half the picture. Change is the over riding theme.

Scottish identity is pretty solid.

bearGrease

a number ofmost no voters want a better and fairer ScotlandUK

Fixed it for you. S’OK don’t need to thank me.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Fixed it for you. S’OK don’t need to thank me.

Glad you can speak for all 2 million no voters. I’ll be sure to check with you next time I want to know something about an all encompassing mass of people of which you probably only know a few hundred.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Everyone wants a better fairer society, world peace and another bike or two. Where people differ is how to achieve those goals.

I think its very positive, the increase in SNP memberships. It shows increasing interest in mainstream politics.

bearGrease

I’ll be sure to check with you next time I want to know something about an all encompassing mass of people of which you probably only know a few hundred.

Be sure to check with Big Gordi too, a moment ago he was speaking for a number of the 2 million.

gordimhor

No need to check with me BearGrease as I didnt claim to speak for any no voters but merely expressed my opnion

In my opinion a number of no voters

but thanks anyway 🙂
    Edit Point taken that the vast majority of people want a better fairer society,I should have said that in my opinion a large number of people on both sides can reach agreement on how we can build a fairer society.

bearGrease

,I should have said that in my opinion a large number of people on both sides can reach agreement on how we can build a fairer society.

In my opinion 😉 that is a fair point and we can only hope that progress is made towards that goal.

One of my reasons for voting No was that I know there are regions in the UK outside of Scotland that face problems that are as grave as any of those faced by less fortunate residents of Scotland. They need our assistance too, we shouldn’t turn our back on them.

konabunny
    Free Member

They now no longer give a shit about Scotland, because their vision of Scotland doesn’t exist. Personally I hope the Tories ruin Scotland. The No voters made their bed, they can lie in it. It wont effect me as I wont be here.

Champ – you should take a few days off from the internet because you’re being a bit melodramatic.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bearGrease – Member
    ,I should have said that in my opinion a large number of people on both sides can reach agreement on how we can build a fairer society.

In my opinion that is a fair point and we can only hope that progress is made towards that goal.
    One of my reasons for voting No was that I know there are regions in the UK outside of Scotland that face problems that are as grave as any of those faced by less fortunate residents of Scotland. They need our assistance too, we shouldn’t turn our back on them.

They need a voice though, they won’t get it in westminster. imo, a northern parliament, or regional parliaments are a must.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Remind me to pop back with my snake oil and magic bean business. ConsultyKerching with all that government and no clue.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    molgrips – Member

Remind me to pop back with my snake oil and magic bean business. ConsultyKerching with all that government and no clue.

Just because it doesn’t work in australia doesn’t mean it can’t work elsewhere.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They need a voice though, they won’t get it in westminster. imo, a northern parliament, or regional parliaments are a must.

They will get a voice if they elect politicians that are committed to serve the interests of ordinary working people.

Regional assemblies/parliaments are an excellent idea, however unfortunately there won’t be much progress made if voters choose self-serving careerists to represent them.

The problem is that the electorate likes self-serving careerists, look how much more successful than other Labour politicians Tony Blair turned out to be.

Successful in winning elections and furthering his personal ambitions of course, not in serving the interests of ordinary working people.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

look at how much the current government spends on advisors and consultation, why would regional be any different. Shooting fish in a barrel while taking candy from a baby.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    They will get a voice if they elect politicians that are committed to serve the interests of ordinary working people.

Regional assemblies/parliaments are an excellent idea, however unfortunately there won’t be much progress made if voters choose self-serving careerists to represent them.

The problem is that the electorate likes self-serving careerists, look how much more successful than other Labour politicians Tony Blair turned to be.

Successful in winning elections and furthering his personal ambitions of course, not in serving the interests of ordinary working people.

How do you inject an interest in politics? And get people to take an interest in who their politicians actually are?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Most advanced democracies have some sort of devolved/federal structure. Of course the electorate are never satisfied, but neither are they in countries with centralised structures.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    look at how much the current government spends on advisors and consultation, why would regional be any different. Shooting fish in a barrel while taking candy from a baby.

While I would like to see it change somewhat, I have to say the scottish parliament has been very successful in it’s short lifespan.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Inject an interest? Education you have to expose people to it, engage them, not talk to them like soundbite idiots. I have an active interest in politics and hate the dumb down news. Even the youth station here in Oz has a semi serious news discussion every day with people who can communicate with young people.
    The biggest step would be to move from my dad voted X so I vote X. Don’t associate thatcher with all tories or blair with all labour. Policy by issue not by ideology. Coalition can work with a mixed agenda being the outcome.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How do you inject an interest in politics? And get people to take an interest in who their politicians actually are?

Sorry I need to get back to work 🙂

Start a thread on the subject ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Policy by issue not by ideology

Now this is a contentious point, I think…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, think you may be right, diverge the question away from this.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well as I’m here and another 15mins before my flight and the business lounge bar is free…

If you disagree with my position debate me don’t just oppose me, persuade me but accept that I’m persuading you. Our view points may be different but our views equally valid. Shake hands after and accept the result.

People need to be engaged and understand what the process is. In some ways the unelected house of Lords is a counterbalance to the self serving election seeking commons members. They can consider and question without fear of expulsion. This questioning is a good thing in some ways. In Oz the upper house is on 6 year terms to help avoid short termism.

bigjim

Heriot Watt paper was published in 2013. Why have the BBC chosen to publish the news release now? Surely it could have done it last week no?

I don’t know why people think it’s just the BBC, its a press release (ie HWU marketing) that has been picked up by many news channels, even the SNP!

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2014/sep/new-technology-underlines-bright-future-sector
    http://www.offshore-mag.com/articles/2014/09/heriot-watt-university-updates-north-sea-eor-studies.html
    http://news.stv.tv/north/293300-heriot-watt-university-new-technology-could-extend-north-sea-oil-life/
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/business/business-science-technology/new-technologies-could-add-decades-4316741
    http://www.energyvoice.com/2014/09/technology-boost-oil-reserves/
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/life-of-gas-and-oil-in-north-sea-could-be-extended.25414609

This tin foil hat conspiracy stuff is getting really daft.

What makes you think that they are looking for Utopia? Scotland and indeed the UK at present is shit. There are plenty places on the planet that are not as shit.

George you do know about Australian politics don’t you?! If you don’t like UK politics then you are really going to struggle with aussie politics.

A Russian friend was commenting on this whole referendum thing, she was amazed how unappreciative we are of how good a quality of life we have here, how free and well off we are yet people still complain and claim it is terrible. I’m inclined to agree with her!

seosamh77
    Free Member

bigjim – Member
    A Russian friend was commenting on this whole referendum thing, she was amazed how unappreciative we are of how good a quality of life we have here, how free and well off we are yet people still complain and claim it is terrible. I’m inclined to agree with her!

Well that’s an easy one, we have a good quality of life because we question every aspect of it, and continually do so.

When we stop doing that, it’ll regress. I utterly reject people that say you should be happy with your lot.

I don’t think we are unappreciative, we just know there’s always room for improvement.

Rockape63
    Free Member

When we stop doing that, it’ll regress. I utterly reject people that say you should be happy with your lot.

I don’t think we are unappreciative, we just know there’s always room for improvement.

Blimey…you really do accentuate the negatives don’t you? We can all find this to complain about, believe me, but you are living in a country with the most amazing scenery, coastline, golf courses, and open space, you are free,(assummed) healthy and young (ish) and have your life ahead of you.

You’re a long time dead….eternity is forever and you’re worrying about what exactly??

seosamh77
    Free Member

I don’t think looking to improve is negative? How do you work that out?

btw, i’m speaking from a UK perspective here.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I don’t think looking to improve is negative? How do you work that out?

The point is, we are always trying to improve our lot as a nation and compared with just 25yrs ago,(let alone 50yrs) things have changed hugely. But you have to be careful what you wish for sometimes….

seosamh77
    Free Member

Is that not what i just said?

why are you trying to argue?

duckman

The point is, we are always trying to improve our lot as a nation and compared with just 25yrs ago,(let alone 50yrs) things have changed hugely. But you have to be careful what you wish for sometimes….

Foodbanks would suggest that they are not changing for everybody though.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Is that not what i just said?

why are you trying to argue?

From what you are saying, its like trying to improve things is an original idea![/i]

I’m saying its not and that you can’t please all the people all the time. Sometimes you have to count your blessings.

PS. Lucky we have food banks for people that need them….they didn’t have them in past times when the need was there.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Well scotland didnt get independance, thread’ is closed to new replies.