Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,006 total)
  • Well scotland didnt get independance, thread
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have a bike ride starting at 9.30. Enjoy the smugness factor of the referendum result THM, these small pleasures are obviously important to you. I’m sure I’ll enjoy my bike ride 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how do we go forward with the movement from here

First sort out the basics like currency etc.
    Sort out the Europe Question
    Separate SNP party policies from what is being proposed
    Don’t accuse everyone who voices an opinion against you as scaremongering or lying (especially if they are actually right)

bearGrease

Junky, margin is a different thing from swing required. The referendum rules were that the Yes side needed 50%+1% to win so that would mean a swing of >6% to change the result which is a massive swing in any modern vote. As ever understanding the facts is important when making a decision.

Whatever way you cut it it was a resounding democratic vote to stay in the UK.

bearGrease

small pleasures

It’s raining in Scotland today but I’m smiling, we’re not in the midst of a Yes induced economic apocalypse and when I renew my children’s passports next week they will be British ones with all the status and privilege that that confers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

of >6% to change the result which is a massive swing in any modern vote.

Its not a massive swing in a general election never mind a binary choice.

As ever understanding the facts is important when making a decision.

Not sure what your point is there

Whatever way you cut it it was a resounding democratic vote to stay in the UK.

I think the number of areas coupled with the vote % means it is undeniably true that it is a clear vote for NO. IMHO it is not a massive majority in a binary choice. I would suggest 2/3 voting one way is around the margin of massive support
    Its a fairly mute point No won and , relatively, convincingly.
    Thankfully it is large enough to not lead to it being questioned as to legitimacy [ either way the vote had gone]

bearGrease

J, I don’t agree with your analysis but agree with your conclusion:

Its a fairly mute point No won and , relatively, convincingly.
    Thankfully it is large enough to not lead to it being questioned as to legitimacy

zigzag69
    Free Member

Well you have a long way to go. If it had been a constituency election for the UK parliament with 28/32 regions registering a vote against the nationalists it would have been a massive defeat for them. The country didn’t want it.

Fixed that for you. A pretty pointless analogy when talking about a referendum. Especially in a country that uses PR to vote for its parliament.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I spent £831 this morning on taking the first steps to a better life. Unfortunately that life will be away from Scotland. But hey ho, there are better places to live in the world than one governed by fear. It might not work out, but I’d rather regret something that I have done than something I haven’t.

bearGrease

zz, to serve it up another way for you 87.5% of the regions of Scotland voted No. Whatever way you view it, it’s a hammer blow for the Yes side considering they thought they would win.

Especially in a country that uses PR to vote for its parliament.

EDIT: I’m sure I recall having a first past the post vote for Scottish MPs in Westminster recently.

A second edit to add context & a third edit for grammar.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Perhaps we can have Salmond on loan to Wales to give Plaid a kick up the arse so we can avoid the likes of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29177799

Drac

I spent £831 this morning on taking the first steps to a better life.

Deposit on a 650B?

zigzag69
    Free Member

Thanks bg, you’ve summed up exactly what’s wrong with UK elections. 87.5% of the Scottish regions voted no. 55% of the Scottish voters voted no.

Which do you think is more representative?

onehundredthidiot

not correct to talk about regions/areas voting one way or another. the use of that was down to the infrastructure of vote counting.

chip
    Free Member

Deposit on a 650B?

Shame he won’t be using it to bring Scotland alive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter as the regions were just used to for administrative reasons. Though the map showing the No vote across the country was very telling.

ninfan
    Free Member

Thanks bg, you’ve summed up exactly what’s wrong with UK elections. 87.5% of the Scottish regions voted no. 55% of the Scottish voters voted no.

Hmm, you seem to be calling for electoral boundaries to be redrawn so that each seat carries a roughly equal population

Worth remembering that the Tories wanted to do this with parliamentary elections, and the other parties opposed it because of the advantage the current system gave them…

unknown
    Free Member

when I renew my children’s passports next week they will be British ones with all the status and privilege that that confers.

You are joking, right?

zigzag69
    Free Member

I’m not calling for anything. I was trying to point out a couple of things…

1. How the Scottish regions voted is of absolutely no relevance whatsoever in a national referendum.
    2. My broader point was that PR is more representative than first past the post regional voting (87.5% versus 55%).

molgrips
    Free Member

But hey ho, there are better places to live in the world than one governed by fear.

Honestly. Stop being so **** ridiculous. You have no idea what you ate talking about.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Worth remembering that the Tories wanted to do this with parliamentary elections, and the other parties opposed it because of the advantage the current system gave them…

I think you mean it is worth remembering the Tories wanted to do this because of the advantages it gave them

They voted against gerrymandering basically

RustySpanner

wanmankylung – Member

I spent £831 this morning on taking the first steps to a better life. Unfortunately that life will be away from Scotland.

That’s a shame.
    Why not stay and make a difference?

But hey ho, there are better places to live in the world than one governed by fear.

It’s not fear.
    It’s human nature.

It might not work out, but I’d rather regret something that I have done than something I haven’t.

I agree with you there though.
    🙂

And it’s a great opportunity missed.
    But things are pretty fluid at the moment – at least stick around for the ‘Glasgow Spring’ mass uprising next year.

ninfan
    Free Member

I think you mean it is worth remembering the Tories wanted to do this because of the advantages it gave them
    They voted against gerrymandering basically

No, as you well know the status quo gives an inbuilt advantage to the other parties, an equal share of the vote does not give an equal outcome in parliament – returning that to the neutral point whereby every vote caries the same value is not gerrymandering, its called fairness.

konabunny
    Free Member

And it wasn’t nationalist.

The clue is in the N of the name, SNP.

The N in SNP stands for national, not nationalist.

It’s a good thing you’re going to travel more because if you think Scotland is governed by fear, you must be naive or barking.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No, as you well know the status quo gives an inbuilt advantage to the other parties, an equal share of the vote does not give an equal outcome in parliament – returning that to the neutral point whereby every vote caries the same value is not gerrymandering, its called fairness.

Forgive me I had not realised they had proposed PR to replace FPTP and what they had done was make every vote count.
    In that case I support it

chip
    Free Member

How long before the bickering ends and it’s business as usual. Or is that just business as usual.

chip
    Free Member

I am referring to Scotland not stw 😀

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Gordon Brown’s playing a blinder this morning, live from Dalgety Bay on BBC News channel (130).
    He’s on the way back…

chambord
    Free Member

Here is a piece from Irvine Welsh on the Guardian.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The clue is in the N of the SNP

😆 you still don’t get it. Guess you never will.

BTW regarding others smugness. Enjoy. Just be aware that minus the over 65. The vote was actually 54% yes.

Interesting times ahead to see how the 45 manifests itself.

oldnpastit

Interesting times ahead to see how the 45 manifests itself.

Probably a lot will depend on whether the promised devolution is delivered and is successful, or if the main Westminster parties end up squabbling and produce nothing but hot air.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

chip – Member
    How long before the bickering ends and it’s business as usual.

Wednesday, next week.

chip
    Free Member

Wednesday, next week

Thank **** for that I thought the referendum may have created a rift among the Scottish people.

spw3

mikewsmith +1

bearGrease

you still don’t get it.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_National_Party:

The Scottish National Party (SNP; Scottish Gaelic: Pàrtaidh Nàiseanta na h-Alba, Scots: Scots Naitional Pairtie) is a Scottish nationalist[14][15] and social-democratic[16][17][14] political party in Scotland.

I get it. You’re being obtuse.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It has, but we will soon be back to blaming the English.

As the voting map showed, there are rifts, but then there is the day job to attend to. Could be Thursday on reflection. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Just be aware that minus the over 65. The vote was actually 54% yes.

If you discount the people that don’t agree with me, then everyone agrees with me! So I must be right!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Strip out 4 councils and …….

Who cares about the what ifs, the people have spoken. The result is known. Move on. It’s England, Wales and NI turn now!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I took his point to be next time there is a vote they will be dead and those left support Yes

athgray
    Free Member

I really hope this sparks prolonged debate on devolving powers to all part of the UK. Looking forward to being involved in the mix. If there is a will across the UK but Westminster drags its heels, we could have then have a movement on an epic scale.

imnotverygood

I took his point to be next time there is a vote they will be dead

To be replaced by more over 65 year olds.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Well scotland didnt get independance, thread’ is closed to new replies.