Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,006 total)
  • Well scotland didnt get independance, thread
  • project
    Free Member

Just pre empting what is going to be announced on friday morning, followed by salmond resiging and geting a good job in some scotch company.

so what now for a unified uk plc.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Monster Loonies had it right with “extend the channel tunnel to Jersey, mainland Britain becomes a tax haven”. Modern politicians are thinking of legacy and personal gain rather than doing good for their constituents…

No, wait… if Scotland leaves, Cameron will look really bad. That might be funny.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Can someone just give us an executive summary on why someone thought it was a good idea..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    badnewz
    Free Member

Why on earth did the No campaign choose Gordon Brown to give a speech the day before the vote?
    I think Salmond has a (small) chance; and if he loses, he will keep coming back.
    He is a very impressive politician and people underestimate him. Btw I’m agnostic Aye or Nay.

GrahamS

Why would Salmond resign? Even if he doesn’t get independence he still secured extra powers along the lines of the Devo Max option they originally wanted on the ballot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m thinking a huge UKIP presence and the English govt booting out the Gingers ..

DT78
    Free Member

I’m busy trying to work out what to call my consultancy firm which will be milking helping the scots with independence for several decades….hoping for the cash cow that is a yes…

Drac

Spolier alert!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I really thing the government want the Scots to go it alone, it wil be well cheaper for them. They just need to go through the motions to make it look like they want them to stay.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a bag of idiots burst on this thread, and they’re everywhere! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

This thread will be like when you debate road tax on twitter …dont be bringing facts or reason here

mactheknife

coolhandluke – Member
    I really thing the government want the Scots to go it alone, it wil be well cheaper for them. They just need to go through the motions to make it look like they want them to stay.

HAhHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good one 8)

Northwind

cloudnine – Member

Can someone just give us an executive summary on why someone thought it was a good idea..

I know! What idiocy, all we’ve achieved so far is a promise of much greater devolution from every Westminster party (despite being told we weren’t even allowed to ask for it 3 years ago) , the retention of the Barnett formula which they all said was on its way out the door… Oh and the general public re-engaging with politics on a scale not seen in the UK since universal suffrage. And we’ve not even had the vote yet. Makes you wonder why we bothered eh?

seven
    Free Member

project – Member – Quote
    Just pre empting what is going to be announced on friday morning, followed by salmond resiging and geting a good job in some scotch company.

If he quits he’ll probably get a job with some Ingerland company

wilburt
    Free Member

Imagine there’s no countries
    It isn’t hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think westminster played a blinder offering ‘devo max’, kills future votes dead, if this was a yes for devo max or nothing then we’d be having the same argument again in a few years, now it’s kicked into touch for at least a generation.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

Why should Scotland get extra powers if they lose?

AlasdairMc

I foresee a return for Gordon Brown to political leadership, and I’d hope it be in Scotland as there are no credible Labour MSPs (or Conservatives or Lib Dems for that matter)

jon1973
    Free Member

Imagine there’s no countries
    It isn’t hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace…

Man you been a naughty boy. You let your face grow long
    I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
    I am the walrus, goo goo goo joob

quite apt, I think you’ll agree

slowoldman

catschroedinger – Member

Good point. They should give some back. For being losers.

gavstorie
    Free Member

The only thing we will give you back is Gordon Brown.. You are welcome to him

chip
    Free Member

I am gutted, I wanted them to go.
    Up until this reforerendum I always loved them like a brother from another mother and did not think of them as foreign, just a bit more stabby with an abrasive accent.

But now I am building a genuine resentment of all things scottish (except west highland terriers, everyone loves a westie).
    To the point I would even support France fervently over Scotland in all competitions sporting.

My only consolation is the that all the wingeing yes campaigners did not get their way and will be crying into their porridge.

(If the yes vote actually wins the day my greatest sadness will be the loss of the union flag but will be exited about what we will do with all our spare cash now we don’t have to support them.)

Northwind

catschroedinger – Member

Because the extra powers are only being offered to try and win a No vote. It’s the price of keeping the union, essentially.

Course, if Scotland has extra powers that another region covets, they can try and get them too. If not, they’re choosing to have less power. This won’t stop anyone complaining of course- never has before.

anagallis_arvensis

Have you not been paying attention at the back? They essentially cant lose.

kjcc25
    Free Member

(If the yes vote actually wins the day my greatest sadness will be the loss of the union flag

Why should we not have the Union Flag?

The blue bits on it will be a constant reminder to the Scots what they gave up.

the-muffin-man

Cameron will look really bad. That might be funny.

I don’t think he’d care – it would virtually guarantee a Tory government for ever and a day.

And the blue but on the Union flag could represent Tory!

martinhutch

Should definitely keep the union flag. It’s my flag, represents my history. Plus it would cost a bloody fortune to change them all around.

Nobby

if Scotland leaves, Cameron will look really bad

Or be seen as the hero who got rid of the financial ball & chain and gave all the rich folk tax-cuts. 🙂

tenfoot

Perhaps we could lose the blue from the flag and get some green in there to represent Wales instead.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if they do vote yes, in years to come they could come back into some kind of federal situation or commonwealth…

footflaps

chip +1

codybrennan
    Free Member

So lets turn this around and say…Salmond has already won, and you just haven’t realised yet?

From a standing start, Scotland has a form of local representation unprecedented in the UK, that shames the ruling elite. And then to cap it all, during the last 2 weeks, we get an embarrassing volte face by the main parties on what would have been a key offering on the ballot paper.

On all the front pages!

He’s implacable, and despite my loathing for him, he delivers. No matter what happens on Friday, it doesn’t end then.

If you don’t get what this is about yet, its about having some form of democracy where you have a fair chance of getting what you voted for. Fair is the operative word.

GrahamS

I wonder if they do vote yes, in years to come they could come back into some kind of federal situation or commonwealth…

Federal EU most likely – which is the biggest reason cited amongst the Yes voters I know: they are pro-Europe and feel that rUK is becoming strongly anti-Europe.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mel Gibson.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I am still somewhat surprised that Cameron has made such an effort in the No campaign. If Scotland leaves it reduces the labour majority quite significantly and I would be surprised if we saw a non Tory government for a long time. The Scottish provide a decent balance that if removed puts Cameron and co. in a really strong position.

Labour won 41 seats in Scotland in the 2010 General election. Compared to 1 Conservative. That would be a big loss for supporters of Labour south of the border.

That’s the only reason I still hope for a No vote.

footflaps

The John Oliver report was very funny. Possibly this link might work.

and yes, it list Mel Gibson as a reason….

codybrennan
    Free Member

Before I go out and vote, can I add: apologies if you’re English and reading this, but can you just take your petulance at somehow being ‘snubbed’ out of this and grow up a bit?

Its nothing to do with where you grew up, its about spending most of your life watching a govt you didn’t elect do things you don’t approve of, and then seizing a chance to change things. It should speak volumes to you that most Scots accept that its going to be tough, but want to do this anyway.

Thats how much getting a real voice matters. We’re desperate for this, can’t you see?

And project- you spelled ‘independence’ wrongly.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

We’re desperate for this, can’t you see?

We don’t care.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

CB It’s unfortunate that it’s a government that I didn’t vote for either, and your people north of the border help to sway things in a more positive direction by your presence in the union. We’re politically more vulnerable to Tory PLC without you and that worries me. That’s why I don’t wish for you to leave.

I can see that you are desperate for it but I’m not sure how an independent Yorkshire campaign will go.

molgrips
    Free Member

And then to cap it all, during the last 2 weeks, we get an embarrassing volte face by the main parties

See – this is pure spin.

“We want X”
    “No”
    “We really want X”
    “Ok then”
    “Ah you spineless scum, embarassing u turn etc etc”

FFS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Well scotland didnt get independance, thread’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts