Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • well OT… petrol strimmer?
  • Leigh2612
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    a random question for the green fingered among you- I am after a petrol strimmer as my pump track is unaccesible to the lawnmower (someone didn’t flatten it out so well and it’s a bit of a sore point at home!) and it resembles a jungle.
    Any experience with any cheaper models? Im looking for anything that cuts and has an auto feed line that works and wont make me pull my hair out.
    Cheers!

Leigh

Stoner
    Free Member
    alaric

I was surprised at how little extra to get a Stihl instead of a “cheaper” brand – Cheap ones for £90, Stihl at £155. Factor in availability of parts and servicing…

I bought a Stihl and have been very pleased with it so far.

Only had it a few weeks, so not much more to say, it’s easy to start and cuts stuff!

br
    Free Member

‘fraid I went for a copy of the Honda, in fact most probably made in the same factory in China.

On Amazon search ‘TRUESHOPPING PROFESSIONAL PETROL GRASS STRIMMER BRUSHCUTTER POWERFUL HEAVY DUTY MODEL 2-STROKE 43CC’

I paid £100, and it works well.

Wanted the bars and harness, although the manual is pretty pants. Cleared 100yds of hedgerow that was 6ft deep in heavy undergrowth/nettles etc with 1 pint of fuel.

Stoner
    Free Member

2-STROKE

is not a Honda.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I shall investigate a stihl. I thought they were a fair bit more than that for some reason, must be looking in the wrong places!
    Thanks!

br
    Free Member

is not a Honda.

I did wonder having ridden probably one of the last 2-stroke Hondas many years ago (NS400), but it looks the absolute spit of yours – take a look on Amazon.

mefty
    Free Member

It is worth getting a decent one – Echo ones are very good and because they don’t have the cachet of Stihl tend to sell cheaper second hand although they are of similar quality.

matt_outandabout

I have 20yr old Stihl – £25 of a mate who does them up last year. Ace bit of kit, you can still get parts…! Hunt around for looked after second hand.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I just bought a Stihl FS-55, cost about £180 when I factor in the 20% George Osbourne Discount.

The Honda looked good, but the aftersales from the local Stihl dealer is far better than I could ever expect from anyone selling Honda.

When I went to pick it up, I took my dad (a tree surgeon) who had 2 chainsaws needing attention. We left half an hour later with both saws serviced, one of which needed a new carb. And that was a mid-1970s saw!

I’m confident that if anything ever goes wrong with the strimmer, they’ll sort it there and then.

I can only compare it to a Ryobi that I’ve used before, but it’s plenty powerful enough for getting through anything up to, and including, brambles; it starts first pull every time; it’s nice and light, and feels far more robust than the Ryobi.

I got mine from Dick Leigh near Clitheroe, Lancs. The only downside with Stihl is you’ll not get one mail order.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Picked up a mint FS-40 today for 100. Hopefully that will sort me out!

Cheers guys.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Got a new Honda from Ebay (shop selling off old stock). Works very well (also doubles as a brush saw and will cut hedges with the relevant attachment). The 4 stroke motor means I’m not smothered in 2 stroke fumes, which is nice…

alaric

I don’t get noticeably smothered in 2-stroke fumes from my Stihl…

timbur
    Free Member

The smell of burning 2 stroke….. Mmm.

Oh and they sound better.

Had some Honda 4 strokes at work and they were good but still bought a Stihl when I went self employed. Don’t regret it either.

Kombi kit is ace as well. Strimmer, pole saw and hedgecutter all in one package.

Tim

bigblackshed

+1 for Stihl.

I’ve also got a Stihl hedge cutter. Buy the best. Also I’ve got a contact at a garden machinery sales company. Parts as well. Let me know if you need anything and I’ll get a mate’s rate price. 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I bought a very cheap McCulloch strummer off EBay for less than £40 last year.

Apparently they’re not that good but for the money I paid I’m perfectly happy with it.

kayak23

after a petrol strimmer as my pump track is unaccesible to the lawnmower

photos of pump track? ….

Leigh2612
    Free Member

theres not much to see at the moment- its covered in weeds and grass which have grown like they are on steroids in the recent hot/ wet spell…! ITs 18x 37ft which is about a quarter of the garden, figure of 8 inside an oval if that helps….Its too tight and needs a redesign, or flattening!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘well OT… petrol strimmer?’ is closed to new replies.