Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Well man clinic?
  • shreck
    Free Member

Anyone been,is it worth it,and what age do you go im 34.just been thinking about these thing since my dad died in jan suddenly from pancreatitis he hardly drank didnt smoke and was really fit for 62,so just thinking a check might be a good thing every now and then.

lowey

Went for my 1st one on Wednesday.

General questions about lifestyle, blood pressure test, test your urine, blood test for cholesterol and sugar. Took 10 mins and well worth it I reckon.

The Nurse said go every 5 years, then increase it when you reach 50 to every 2 years.

samuri
    Free Member

I do them as part of my Bupa checkups. They noted my unexplained high blood pressure and sent me to my GP. On medication for it now which is good. To be honest it’s worth it just to watch the nurse tap their watch and listen to see if it’s still ticking when they take your pulse and it’s in the low 40’s.

andywhit
    Free Member

Did one a couple of yrs ago. Everything OK, doc advised doing them every few yrs rather than annually.

Jamie
    Free Member

*heads off to google*

samuri
    Free Member

oh, and at 34 it’s fine, just some quick tests and a bollock feel.
    Once you get to my age then you start having to take a poo in a box and bending over so the doc can have a quick rummage. 😉

GrahamS

oh, and at 34 it’s fine, just some quick tests and a bollock feel.

Sounds fun. What’s the etiquette: money up front or leave it in an envelope on the dresser?

project
    Free Member

Just go,as i reported on here a few weeks ago, i had 3 teeth out and made the big mistake or life saveing choice to phone NHS direct, to ask for an emergency dentist, when asked if i had any other symptoms i said yes, a pain in left side and shortness of breath, suddenly in the backgriound i hears bells, sirens and flashing lights going off, CHEST PAIN AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH, yes i say, do you want an ambulance, no says me just a dentist, so next day booked into see GP, who tells me im grossly over weight, 6 foot 3 and 16 stone, sends me for bloood tests, 5, next day, that night phone call from surgery come in tomorrow morning, very anaemic, 8.2 hg, so take iron tablets and ill refer you to see a consultant, 10 days latter see a consultant, who says he doesnt think ive got cancer, as it didnt show up on the blood tests,but most probably have a tumour, but have another 4 blood tests to be sure,and you can also have a camera up your bum, no chance says me, so booked in for a special virtual colonscopy in a CT scan, which was then altered to a barium enemma, see the picolax thread for details, even though it wasnt me on that,now just waiting for the results.
    Loosing weight and cycling more, so go for the check up.
    Oh and had he 3 teeth out, and was really painful after, much worse than the barium ennema.

For the barium ennema, youve got to starve, take two sachets of a strong laxative, watch the insides of your body be expelled under great force from your bum, then, nextt day, take all your clothes off, in a small cubicle, wear a nightie, two stange women youve never seen before, inject your arm with a drug, pull up your nightie, and shove a tube up your bum , then squirt a white fluid up there, then get you to turn over in various positions,with tube still inserted, while takeing multiple pictures of you with xray, they also pump air into you bowel to inflate it.

Then youre allowed to get dressed and they bring you some biscuits and a cup of tea.

The staff are really freindly and proffesional, a must have experience.

avdave2

What sort of biscuits?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Well man clinic?’ is closed to new replies.