Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Well know bike chain issues, what would you do?
  • badllama
    Free Member

Ok so I left my bike at a well known chain to have a front derailleur, shifter and additional chain ring adding 16th June they were due to start it 17th June.

Week 1 parts should be in Thursday that week, all parts apart from one turn up, told following Tuesday will be in

Week 2 no parts turn up on the Tuesday will be in on the Thursday
    no news rang up still waiting for part? Do I want to come and pick up bike? No I’ll leave it as when the part comes in I’ll only have to bring it back

Week 3 wrong part arrives will have to order other part be next week.Can I have bike back for weekend please sorry mate it’s on work stand in bits.

Week 4 rang Tuesday sorry no new parts in, they will be in this Thursday

So I’m thinking of just going down there tomorrow and kicking off want to see manager etc.. Is this unreasonable? 👿

creamegg
    Free Member

what would I do? I’d have bought the components from LBS / online and fitted myself. But yeah I wouldn’t be happy with that service

badllama
    Free Member

creamegg that was my original though, but being up to my eyes at work 12 – 14 hour days and not very experienced at bike maintenance though I’d leave it to the “professionals”

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Four weeks to do a hours work. You need to learn DIY my friend. Wiggle + YouTube is all that is required.

plyphon
    Free Member

Just politely ring them up and say you’re coming in to collect the bike on <give at least 2 days time (reasonable)> and you would expect the bike to be in the condition you dropped it off in. (IE: built)

No need to kick off, sometimes delays in the supply chain happen.

Admittedly they could of been a bit more communicative maybe but gotta give the benefit of the doubt (busy fixing punctures probably)

micky
    Free Member

That’s terribly slow. If the bike shop can’t get the correct parts quickly from one place they should try somewhere else. If I was the owner of the shop I would not charge you any labour as a good will gesture. Im a buyer for a company and I buy vehicle parts from abroad. If I order something from Europe it is generally on my desk in 24 hours or slightly less sometimes. I can get stuff from Japan in 2-3 days. It amazes me when I wait for a week to get a part from a bike retailer that is based in the UK and has the item in stock. I guess we are not that efficent yet and perhaps dont have such good transport links. Who knows. I would go and see the manager of the shop

brakes
    Free Member

sometimes delays in the supply chain happen

why do some bike shops only order bits on one day of the week? and if that sometimes gets postponed they have to wait another week before they can order again? seems a bit archaic to me.

tomhoward

why do some bike shops only order bits on one day of the week?

Saves postage.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Name & Shame!

Diabolical service 👿

stevied
    Free Member

I’d be fuming if it were my bike. Visit to the shop to ‘discuss’ your service with the manager then find another LBS that isn’t full of numpties..

plyphon
    Free Member

why do some bike shops only order bits on one day of the week? and if that sometimes gets postponed they have to wait another week before they can order again? seems a bit archaic to me.

B2B postage doesn’t work like consumer/end user,

Example we have a lower limit of £10 so even if you order a cable worth 50p it costs you £10 to get it next day.

This doesn’t happen often as normally orders start at £1k and upwards but in the occasion a customer of ours **** up and needs a part next day they end up paying out of the arse for shipping!

Sometimes suppliers won’t even ship an order if it’s not of certain value, one of our networking suppliers wont ship if it’s less than a £5k order as it has to come from Europe and it’s just not worth it for them.

And we don’t ship if there is less than £5 profit in an order as it costs more in manpower to process the order through the various departments. So if they just need to order one part there may only be £5 profit in it for the distributor so it’s just not worth it.

(I mean, no excuse, they should of gotten it ordered first time around – just giving an explanation 🙂 )

austen

I know that if the LBS next door can’t get parts in time they order them from one of the large mail order warehouses. The customer gets a great service and the shop still manages to make a (reduced) profit.

LBS’s surely have to trade on service when they can’t compete on price.

OP – go and find yourself a nice small friendly shop and I’m sure all of your future maintenance work will be a happier experience. Having to wait four weeks for a 30 minute job is really out of order, I’d be fuming to be without my bike given the weather we’ve been having.

nedrapier

1) If you’re medium cross: Go in and be polite-ish, but stroppy at them. Let them know how upset and disappointed you are. “You’ve let yourselves down, how would you feel if this was your bike for 4 weeks in weather like this?” etc. If the place is well-meaning but slack, it’s likely they’re doing jobs on a Loudest Shouter First priority scheme.

2) If you’re very cross and want to make a scene (and you’ve got options nearby if you need something else in the future), order the bits online, go in at a busy time, demand your bike back in a loud voice saying that their continuing inability to order and fit parts to a bicycle leaves you no option but to take the job off them and do it yourself, that you ordered and received the parts in a day straight. And ask them how seriously they expect to be taken as competition to online retail.

buck53

Don’t kick off, it’s not the fault of whichever sap it’s behind the counter when you rock up. Service has been poor, no doubt. I’d be asking for them to fit the next post up the range for no extra cost.

kimbers

4 weeks is taking the mickey

get the bike back get it done elsewhere

in the meantime tell evans/leisure lakes that theyve ruined the best months riding this year and that you will never use them again

badllama
    Free Member

Cheers guys I’m not going to kick off at the guy in front of me I’ll ask them to get the workshop/store manager if I’m in the mood to have ago the last time I phone the chap was not even the workshop manager but was passing messages on from him 🙄

I’ll see how it goes tomorrow in the mean time anyone recommend me a decent bike shop South Manchester way? Or decent localish to Manchester, I’m Sale – Salford based.

steviecapt
    Free Member

seriously, are you still thinking of taking your bike to another shop, half n hour on you tube or googling, it will show you how to fit the parts,or even park tool website, then you wont have to put up with lbs bs, and also next time you can do the work yourself, quicker and cheaper, i used to work 12-14hr shifts in engineering, i still wouldnt take my bike into a lbs to be fixed, the time its taken you to take your bike into lbs,then wait have the hastle ringing them, then post on here, you could of easily have fixed your bike, dont want to seem like im having a go, but it seems a better solution to me,better time management lol

orangeboy
    Free Member

As a small lbs my boss will often use large mail order company’s to get stuff quicker than we can from the trade wholesaler , keeps punter happy and coming back

robbieh
    Free Member

I just don,t understand those who can,t/won,t work on their own bike!!!!! It’s not difficult and I don,t ever accept the”have,nt got time” excuse. If you don,t know how, find out!

russjp
    Free Member

Orange boy, not only quicker than getting from UK supplier but some times cheaper.

badllama
    Free Member

robbieh the thing is when I’m not working my arse off I’d rather be riding the **** thing rather than pissing about with it FFS

I have the money why not pay someone more qualified/experienced than myself to do it I walk in pay money ride my bike simples OR not in this case it seems 🙄

I’m sure I could have, had ago at it but for the cost of an hours labour charge and the parts (which I would have had to buy anyway) why not get it done by a qualified person? The 2 hours it would have most likley taken myself (at least being my first time) I can be doing more enjoyable things, like riding my other bike 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Well know bike chain issues, what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.