• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Well I never knew this – and a lucky escape!
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

From facebook:

1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren’s parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.
    So Lauren remembered her parents’ advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone.
    This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked car with a flashing blue light behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.
    The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn’t and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.
    Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
    … One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.
    They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground……..t he man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
    I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.
    Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a ‘safe’ place.
    You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.
    Too bad the mobile phone companies don’t give you this little bit of wonderful information.
    So now it’s your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal).
    This is good information that I did not know!

martinhutch

Lauren should have learned the first time it happened.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp

Lauren was actually following behind a state police car shortly after she left Winchester and was going just over 65 mph since she was following behind him. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. My friend and her husband have 4 children (high school and college age) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a gas station, etc. So Lauren actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called #77 on her cell phone to tell the dispatcher that she would not pull over right away.
    Read more at http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp#eyGemeWCcpDiDJbW.99

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Somewhat more reputable article (maybe)

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q587.htm

sharkbait
    Free Member

Haha….. bollocks! Oh well, I’ll leave it on as it’s still good advice.

martinhutch

This should be instructive for lone females in cars, too… 🙂

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/boyfriend.asp

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve was pulled over by an unmarked car when I was about 19. Kept going until I was home (couple minutes driving) and let them come to me. I thought everyone knew this.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t believe the one about the petrol station either, someone gets in the car while you’re paying, blah, blah.

maxtorque

All of these “true” internet scare stories can be neatly bundled under the heading “use common sense people”.

rocketman
    Free Member

you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car

Spent an interesting mile or so on a tight country road with one of these filling the motorbike’s mirrors a few years ago (it was a proppa unmarked car)

I pulled over when it was safe to so and the driver gave me The Look followed by The Headshake

A little further down the road there had been a very minor incident and as I waited the police officer came over to me and ‘had a word’. The situation could’ve escalated quite quickly but I remained calm, noted his number and wrote a letter to the local police HQ. A few days later I got a response from the Chief Superintendent apologising for the officer’s actions and also clarifying the situation when being followed by *anything* with blue lights, unmarked or otherwise.

DezB
    Free Member

Surprised that there’s a law the same in the US as here… but then, I smell something a bit like cow poo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Well I never knew this – and a lucky escape!’ is closed to new replies.