Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Well… here I am… in A&E!
  • DrP

It’s true – I am an idiot! (Though I did manage to cook and eat home made Calzone on the fire before slashing myself to bits)

Essentially, I was cutting a soft sap stick to toast a hot cross bun, and did the classic ‘knife faux pas’ – cutting towards myself..

It’s a new knife (Mora fire knife) that is uber sharp (I can vouch for this) and just split the wood and went through my finger with ease!

Knives aren’t dangerous. Idiots with knives are.

However I do question you Bivvi motivation, clearly you were in a different part of the South Down when the monsoon hit ??

Secret(ish) bivi spot just North of Storrington.. Rain all the day, stopping just before we headed off.

Stay safe kids..

DrP

anagallis_arvensis

If shes like mine I bet the Mrs was really sympathetic.

Bunnyhop

Now that’s a proper manly cut.

I would have screamed blue murder.

I hope you mend very soon.

grantway
    Free Member

Man next time order a Take Away

MrNutt
    Free Member

I fail to believe that you didn’t have your in car kill room with you nor any of the “travelling doctor essentials kit” in the spare wheel space, this is clearly an elaborate ruse to cover up yet another cold blooded “harvest”

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey DrP that’s a nasty cut. 😯

Nice pics though. :mrgreen:

I want a Mora knife now.

DezB
    Free Member

Er, what MrNutt said!

Hope you didn’t ruin the night for the others ya big clumsy. 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Very VERY nearly did the same thing on saturday with an axe while cutting wood for my kelly kettle.

Also in a secret location, perhaps that’s the problem?

From now on I camp next to main roads

footflaps

From now on I camp next to main roads A&E

joshvegas
    Free Member

Going by the carparks, I think the cost of a pitch might be prohibitive!

TiRed

But the big question is… Was Duct tape enough for the First Aid? Or were those butterfly stitches necessary after all.

Heal fast. And I too want one of those knives now!

chris_db
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered the knife.

c

legalalien
    Free Member

Mora knives are incredible value. The Scandi grind bushcraft knives are really great to use. I have two (I also own a Sebenza for context and to show I’m a bit of a knife snob). Be aware though, that they are high carbon steel and will build up a patina and/or rust depending on moisture and humidity. Plenty of folks build up a great patina with various semi-caustic concoctions of fruit, onions, vinegar etc.

I have to say, as an ex-pat of quite a few years that it’s great to see the Great British piss-taking over the injury. I once snapped my Achilles’ tendon playing rugby and was told in no uncertain terms by the ‘team medic’ (I think ‘least drunk spectator’ is a better term) to gaffer tape it up and get back on the field. Not helpful at the time, but I look back on it with a sense of fond amusement.

I did use superglue on a cut once. Was at a party, opening a bottle of wine with an inappropriate implement, and made a sizeable incision on one of my fingers. Held it shut with Bounty for a while but it was too deep and would not stop bleeding. We were all drunk and some ex-military, so it was considered a field-expedient repair to just superglue it up to allow continued drinking. I have an awkward scar and no feeling in the top of one finger as a result.

Please excuse the ramblings. I am in an airport with time to kill and a lot of nice wine at my disposal.

legalalien
    Free Member

Forgot to say get well soon Dr P, you pillock 😉

DrP

Just noted the mod edit on the front page – apologies for those who’ve been put of their sausages with that…

DrP

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sausages! Thats what I crave!

I rate my mora pretty highly but its but its not a knife for waving around!

DrP

Or were those butterfly stitches necessary after all.

The steristrips are used OVER the ‘sewn’ sutures – this was more than a steristrip job! (though duct tape, super glue, and zip ties would also have been adequate…!)

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

Mora knife, mora problems.

DrP

Mora lotta laughs…

DrP

Solo
    Free Member

Mora lotta laughs…

DrP

So, now you’re considering moving into surgical work ?

binners

I thought you would have asked yourself the obvious question, while being all tufty-tufty, out in the wilds: What would John Rambo do?

Looks nasty that DrP. Hope you’re back to full fitness soon fella. You daft sod! 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

In a seriousness though what kind of first aid course would show you how to deal with this kind of thing, I carry a first aid kit that could probably deal with that properly atleast temporarily. Buggered if I would know what to do short of flushing it with saline eye wash couple of butterfly stitches and a bandage… then call the air ambulance 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

In a seriousness though what kind of first aid course would show you how to deal with this kind of thing, I carry a first aid kit that could probably deal with that properly atleast temporarily. Buggered if I would know what to do short of flushing it with saline eye wash couple of butterfly stitches and a bandage… then call the air ambulance 🙂

DrP

What I did was:
    – Pressure with sterile swab and ‘direct pressure’ (Squeezing it)
    – Wrap bandage around it
    – make way to place of healthcare provision

No point trying to steristrip it in the field as there was too much blood for them to stick, I knew it needed sewing up, and faffing about failing to fix it would have led to more bleeding and more mess.
    Pressure (over a dressing) as a temp fix was all that was needed.

If i was in the middle of nowhere, I’d have a)taken more kit with me, and b)used said kit to try to fix it myself.

I wasn’t, so I didn’t!

DrP

wwaswas

I’d have a)taken more kit with me

I thought taking a cheeseboard on a bivvi showed a fine sense of the relative importance of civilised living vs decent first aid provision 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

ah yes pressure.. knew i forgot something!

I once had to deal with my dad placing a set of sheep sheers inside his thing all 8 inches of it. Pressure was applied.

DrP

A cheeseboard and port. We’re not animals…

DrP

wwaswas

I once had to deal with my dad placing a set of sheep sheers inside his thing

When a few words conjures up a mental image that’ll stay with you for years.

DrP – I thought opening the port with a machete showed you’re not afraid to rough it just a little, though 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Oh my!

Thats one of my less fortunate typos!

DrP

Taken some time, but finished the write up of this particular unfortunate trip!!
    Blig-blag-blog…

DrP

willard

Nice! Glad you’ve got full function back. It looked nasty for a while.

footflaps

Nice blog!

DezB
    Free Member

Nice write up.

Also pleased this was bumped, cos I missed joshvegas’s “all 8 inches of it” previously 😆

big_scot_nanny

Great write up, love the fat bike action pics!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Glad I can be of assistance Dez

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Well… here I am… in A&E!’ is closed to new replies.