Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • well done BA, about time we knew who the cheapskates are
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42052743

British Airways is introducing a boarding policy that means those buying the cheapest seats will be called last.
    From 12 December, passengers will be assigned a number between 1-5 printed on boarding passes, with the highest figure reserved for economy fares.
    BA said the move is about simplifying the boarding process, and bringing it into line with other carriers, including American Airlines and Iberia.
    But BA was accused of operating a class system and further eroding perks.
    The number “one” will be given to first class passengers, with others assigned to other segments such as Executive Club or World Traveller Plus.

Though honestly I’m amazed they didn’t actually have a priority boarding sorted already.

dmorts

Though honestly I’m amazed they didn’t actually have a priority boarding sorted already.

About 2 months ago on the last BA flight I got, they called people forward based on “class” , e.g. First class, World Traveller Gold or something like that, World Traveller Silver, etc. then finally economy (or “all other remaining passengers”).

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d rather get on last. Plane isn’t going anywhere until we are all on it.

footflaps

On the last BA flight I got (about 2 months ago) they called people forward based on “class” , e.g. First class, World Traveller Gold or something like that, World Traveller Silver, etc. then finally economy (or “all other remaining passengers”).

been that way for decades….

dmorts

Good luck getting you luggage in a locker anywhere near your seat or even within cabin. This is the reason people queue up

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

From my experience that just means needing to squeeze your hand luggage 7 rows back and deal with the idiots who don’t get that row 27 is 27 rows back…

It’s also not aimed at the person who books the cheapest ticket

dmorts

been that way for decades….

Yes, I’m not sure what the story is

jimdubleyou

I’d rather be sure of putting my bag in the overhead locker.

Flight is going to be an arseache if I can’t get my feet under the seat in front.

jonnyboi

I like to sit near the back anyway, you get off quicker, nearer the toilets and the trolley is out of your way a lot sooner. Then again I just seem to fly easyJet or Ryanair!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

short haul Europe you have to pay for snacks – little point in paying extra for BA shirt haul

But priority boarding is not new, just annoying when you lose your gold card!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But priority boarding is not new, just annoying when you lose your gold card!!

Should be printed on your boarding pass, or is the UK that far behind on air travel?

legend
    Free Member

jonnyboi – Member

I like to sit near the back anyway, you get off quicker…..Then again I just seem to fly easyJet or Ryanair!

You can tell. BA tends to be front door loading only as they pay the extra 50p to let you use the airbridge

P-Jay
    Free Member

This, I’ve never understood this mad scrum to get into a seat you’ll be DYING to get out of again ASAP. I’d happily be the last on.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

To be honest, what London airways, sorry BA, do is largely irrelevant to anyone living north of Watford.

Couldn’t give a shit what they do. I think two sectors of my last 200 flights have been with BA.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Doesn’t make sense. Priority boarding already happens. It usually goes disabled/parents with babies/very old people first, then First and business class. Then Premium Economy and ‘Gold status’ members traveling in economy. Then load the aircraft from the rear to the front to make for quicker and more efficient loading.

Boarding on the basis of ticket price doesn’t make sense. There is a massive variation in ticket price depending on when you purchased your ticket. A lot of people are still walking to the gate when their tickets are called anyway because they’re either timing it to the second or grab that extra pint at the bar before heading for the gate.

Now if they’re trying out a different ticket pricing model where you can pay a premium for early boarding then fair enough. At least you know what your paying for.

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt matter if your flying with fellow brits….

the minute the first call is made regardless of whats said – its a **** rammy to get on the plane – it doesnt matter which country your in – if its a british airways flight with mostly brits you can watch it happen as if its in the script.

i do love it when the gate staff make a stand and scan their ticket then tell them to go away … rarely happens though.

im quite happy to let the scrum massive take place i just get on at the end. never had an issue getting my bag near me – except the 1 and only time i flew turkish to turkmenistan – with the ladies taking back huge bags of stuff to sell ramming the overheads to capacity and more.

jonnyboi

You can tell. BA tends to be front door loading only as they pay the extra 50p to let you use the airbridge

Ooh, it’s like a glimpse into the lives of royalty. ‘Doffs flat cap’

matt_outandabout

Why would I want to get on board a metal tube and sit in a cramped seat for more than one second longer than necessary?

Happy to be last here.

NZCol

If you fly domestic in the US you will be used to this with wave numbers assigned at check in.

BAs an embarassment frankly. I had a short trip to San Fran a few weeks back in business. At dinner time they didn’t actually seem to have any food left which was interesting. I eventually scabbed an economy meal ! And the layout is awful *1st world complaint*

footflaps

Should be printed on your boarding pass,

It is, so you can’t use an out of date gold card etc.

If you fly domestic in the US you will be used to this with wave numbers assigned at check in.

yep Delta has about 367 different classes, all of which get called one by one…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why would I want to get on board a metal tube and sit in a cramped seat for more than one second longer than necessary?

Saves the rush, easy to get settled in with less people around, luggage is always above my head or just in front and I have time to get sorted for the flight. An extra few mins is nice as normally I’ll be off well ahead of most people too.

footflaps

Saves the rush, easy to get settled in with less people around, luggage is always above my head or just in front and I have time to get sorted for the flight. An extra few mins is nice as normally I’ll be off well ahead of most people too.

This. Esp if you only travel with hand luggage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Much amusement on my latest BA flight, to Las Vegas sadly.

As above, boarding calls were made in order of priority. The gate area was heaving, so as soon as I heard the call, I strolled forward. Cue a chap barging past me, and a number of other passengers, yelling, “Out of my way! Priority boarding!”

He reached the passport/ticket desk just ahead of me, only to be told that his Bronze card counted for approximately the square root of bugger all. I was called forward and greeted with overly theatrical schmooze while he was made to wait in shame.

Priority boarding as it is works fine, if/when it’s enforced.

legend
    Free Member

Do it well and you’re snoozing before the doors are closed

oldtalent
    Free Member

Won’t affect me in club. I’m sat quaffing champagne whilst the peasant board.

footflaps

Priority boarding as it is works fine, if/when it’s enforced.

Last flight was to Lagos, Nigeria. The priority boarding queue was full of economy passengers as all Nigerians feel they should be first. It was actually quicker to board via the economy queue, which was completely empty….

jonnyboi

I’m not racist but……

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

British Airways hostess sacked for Snapchat rant against Nigerian passengers

There are certainly some people who assume that the rules dont count for them. See mainland China as an example.

trail_rat
    Free Member

This. Esp if you only travel with hand luggage.

yep people who travel with only hand luggage and thus the absolute maximum size bag stuffed to the gunnels then moan about not being able to get it right above their head….

breatheeasy
    Free Member

See, the chancers dont get sent to the back of the queue, they just sit at the front letting the next priority boarding customer through. Win/win for them – occasionally blag an early start into cattle class, or they are first in line to get on when their ‘offical’ time comes.

Now, the real chancers are the ones that have a ‘rest’ in a Club seat on the long walk to economy, and sometime forget to complete their journey. Well, until booted further down by the cabin crew…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now, the real chancers are the ones that have a ‘rest’ in a Club seat on the long walk to economy, and sometime forget to complete their journey.

Had one of them in my seat on a flight to Miami a few months ago. I politely pointed out the error of his ways. He refused to budge. Cabin crew ensured he budged. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or the ones that don’t know the difference between aisle and window…… Now gtf out my aisle seat.

DezB
    Free Member

1-5 printed on boarding passes, with the highest figure reserved for economy fares.

Maybe folk who book discounted flights will be in the 4/5 range. I fear for those with a 5, if it’s anything like the Virgin flight I was on last – they left people til last (like me and my son and another family) and tried* to say they would put us in whatever seat was available, which may not be together! The family had a 5 or 6 year old who they tried to sit separately! It wasn’t like we had bargain seats either – I’d paid full whack and booked mine well in advance. Bastards. I won’t be flying with Virgin again.

*Luckily, a nice chap moved seats so jr could sit with me.

slowoldman

I can’t see the issue unless they start sticking labels on your coat.

matt_outandabout

See mainland China as an example.

Also AbuDhabi on same home from China flight… 😯

footflaps

I think forehead tattoos would be better…

wwaswas

It’s BA – embedded RFID chips is more their style.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about FF tags on hand luggage? When I come to power they’ll be up against the wall. Especially anyone putting a bronze tag on.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

1-5 printed on boarding passes, with the highest figure reserved for economy fares.

Maybe folk who book discounted flights will be in the 4/5 range. I fear for those with a 5, if it’s anything like the Virgin flight I was on last – they left people til last (like me and my son and another family) and tried* to say they would put us in whatever seat was available, which may not be together! The family had a 5 or 6 year old who they tried to sit separately! It wasn’t like we had bargain seats either – I’d paid full whack and booked mine well in advance. Bastards. I won’t be flying with Virgin again.

*Luckily, a nice chap moved seats so jr could sit with me.

BA seats are always assigned. Anyone flying with children should be assigned a seat beside them regardless.

Basically this is a no-story story, but everyone will have their own seat assigned before boarding. It wont be a free for all with first one getting first dibs of the best seats or anything like that. As people have mentioned, they already do prority boarding for higher flying classes anyway.

I suspect there may be an element of paying for priority boarding in the future though. Though paying to be fourth out of five isn’t exactly a easy sell, not exactly going to show everyone you’re a high-flyer (see what I did there?!) by spending a fiver getting on the plane five seconds before Joe Bloggs in economy and still having to walk past all the Club class people already quaffing their champers.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Though, top tip for anyone flying BA with hand luggage – if they ask if anyone would like to put their bags in the hold as the plane is busy – if you volunteer you basically get on first regardless of how many Gold card members are standing at the front of the queue…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘well done BA, about time we knew who the cheapskates are’ is closed to new replies.