Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Welding bike frames into a dog sled- what type of welder?
  • PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I race sled dogs on the side of MTBing and am looking to combine the two by building my own dog buggy or scooter to MTB proportions as it strikes me as a potential winner compared to current buggies made of cheap dodgy ATB cast offs and BMX wheels.

http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?cat=DaxScooter
    http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?cat=rigs

What kind of welder do I need to de-construct some knackered bikes and start experimenting- do I need a full oxyacetaline set up with tanks etc of will a hand held blow torch suffice?

Anyone near Notts fancy helping?

soobalias
    Free Member

use steel frames, get a mig plant
    if you want to play with ally or ti, i wouldnt bother without a tig plant

oxy is great as a gas axe, but i wouldnt want to weld much with it.

this hand held blow torch idea, bin it.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Thanks, I'll get looking for a mig set up. I've a pile of old steel ATBs as donors.
    I'll try and get some evening classes on welding to get some practise I haven't done any major metal work since school fifteen years ago but can't wait to see some faces when I roll up to the start.

soobalias
    Free Member

a friend of mine has done similar projects for use with dogs, could point you in his direction if you want a chat/advice

find a local garage or fabricators and see if someone can show you the basics with a mig (less than 30mins and i could have you reasonably confident) you may also find a small old plant that is no longer wanted… not to mention a source of scrap angle iron etc.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Yeah, I'd appreciate your mate's details for some advice.

mpjones79@hotmail.com

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Welding bike frames into a dog sled- what type of welder?’ is closed to new replies.