Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weld repair on a cracked alloy wheel, will i die?
  • pedropete

Just had my T4 serviced & the mechanic pointed out a cracked rear alloy. Strange, as it flew threw the MOT 3 weeks ago. Any way, he suggested that a weld repair wasn’t really an option, as it would always be a weak spot. New set of alloys £600+. Weld repair around £35. I realise that the wheels on a camper have a high load rating, but is a weld repair really not an option? Any one have any thoughts?

maccruiskeen

New set of alloys £600+

You’ve only cracked one wheel

jota180
    Free Member

Is the spare an alloy?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Depends if you trust the welder. Personally I would get a single wheel off ebay/scrap yard.

properbikeco
    Free Member

why buy a set if only one alloy is damaged?

also scrappy may have a match for your damaged one…

pedropete

Aye, but I haven’t been able to source a single replacement alloy as yet (VW 5 spoke).

pedropete

I have considered all these options, but just wondered if anyone had any experience of a weld repair.

downhilldave

Had one repaired on my Golf R, no problems for me. Depends how bad the crack is Tbf.

pedropete

Invisible enough for the MOT tester to have missed it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Alloys on a van????

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My boss is getting one done on his 7 series tomorrow. I’ll let you know how he gets on.

downhilldave

Yeh, it’s an 11 plate. Sailed through the Mot on Wednesday at a VW main dealer. Had the alloys refurbed earlier in the year as the paint was flaking on the edges of the spokes in a couple of areas and it only showed up when they blasted it, very small/light crack. Tbf you really have to look to see it now. If it was just welded/cleaned up it would obviously stand out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weld repair on a cracked alloy wheel, will i die?’ is closed to new replies.