Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Weld failure – is it reasonable to expect a replacement?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Today I had a cycling component completely fail at the welds. I’ve owned it for just under 2 years, and used it exactly as designed. Would it be reasonable to expect a free replacement, as it appears that it was faulty by design or manufacture (one of the welds is certainly incomplete at the point it failed)?

It’s a very unusual part, and not from one of the usual suspects – on the contrary the brand is one with a very good reputation for standing behind their product, and bought from a shop with a similarly good reputation, and with which I’ve had very positive experiences in the past. So not interested in any sort of witch hunt, just wondering what is reasonable to ask for.

somafunk

If the component/frame in question can be clearly seen to have poor penetration then I can see no reasonable manufacturer not offering a suitable replacement. A welded joint should (if done to spec) be stronger than the original part in question, fwiw my father is a coded Welder to asme 9 6g (think that’s correct?) and does work on pharmaceutical/dairy/steam/power plants etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats the warranty on the part? If it’s 2 years or more then fine, if it’s less than thats as long as they thought it would probably be fine for.

rOcKeTdOg

If its lasted 2 years of off road use I’d say that was fair enough. Worth enquiring though

bruneep

Go on then…what is this component?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

on the contrary the brand is one with a very good reputation for standing behind their product, and bought from a shop with a similarly good reputation, and with which I’ve had very positive experiences in the past

Kona scandium failed on me, wafer thin tubing creasing at a butt, they wouldn’t even inspect the frame, other than copying the not interested emails from Kona, said saintly dealer wasn’t much use

nickjb
    Free Member

Wasn’t a Kris Holm frame was it? Mine snapped after far less than the intended use. Manufacturer admitted it was a weak spot and they’d strengthened newer models in that area but weren’t interested in replacing mine. Neither was the shop.

mick_r

I presume it is titanium (or at a pinch steel) – I can’t imagine any manufacturer being interested in repairing a heat treated aluminium welded component.

Would depend what your failure is, where it is and how structural the part is. I’d not accept a crack in the parent metal that has just been welded up (I work in a fatigue and structural test lab).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Personally I’d be going straight back to the supplier of the item BEFORE discussing it on here, especially as you dont actually say what it is (I can understand why).
    Fair enough if they tell you to do one, but at least give them a chance!

aracer
    Free Member

Was just wondering whether it was reasonable to expect anything, and how to approach the shop. Have now spoken to them, and sending photos – sounds like I might get a positive outcome, though if I don’t it won’t put me off using the shop or brand – it’s not like I’m not giving them a chance or wanting you lot to fire up your torches (I don’t think I’m going to be any more specific even if I do get it replaced). Apparently they have never had one fail before, so it sounds like it might be a manufacturing defect.

aracer
    Free Member

Just in case anybody is interested enough to try and work out the brand or the shop, I thought I should just close this by saying that the shop is replacing the part based on photos I sent of the failed welds (despite pointing out it was out of warranty).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Weld failure – is it reasonable to expect a replacement?’ is closed to new replies.