Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Welcome to the Highlands
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21741297[/video]

Wonder if they had winter tyres on.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I drove a courtesy car with standard summer tyres on this morning and found it sketchy and frightening. Normally I have winter tyres on all four wheels. Back in the B’lingo tomorrow thankfully…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This morning I towed the trailer down to town. Late yesterday afternoon there was a brief thaw followed by a harsh frost then snow fell. The result? Snow on top of ice. It was treacherous. Even with mud tyres on the Land Rover I had no control and found myself heading to the verge for grip trying to stop downhill.

Coming home all four wheels were spinning with the diff lock engaged driving back uphill. Never seen anything like it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

MUD tyres on ICE?? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Northwind

Love the way he just drives off. Don’t think that’s his car :mrgreen:

Worst conditions I’ve ever driven in, today… Highlight was coming across a landrover coming the other way. Pic might tell the story… First pic shows how far he was willing to move over to the left, about 2 inches, still in the middle of the tarmac and not even into the deep snow. Second pic shows the line I had to take to get past him, into the snowdrifts and through a drainage ditch. Wasn’t even that much snow on the road and it’s 2 lanes 🙁

Because obviously if one car has to do some offroading, it should be the mondeo not the landrover 😆

Kunstler

I once overturned a car on ice and it came to rest on it’s side just like in the video only it was on a corner with steep embankments on both side and at the bottom of a dip where oncoming drivers could see up other side and would think the whole run of road was a free run. The car needed moving out of the way but I was on my own.
    This was in a rural area and I knew there wouldn’t be many people about so I quickly climbed out of the driver’s side window and ran into a wood where I could see the lights of a large house.
    It turned out the house had been turned into flats so I knocked on all the doors and soon had a posse of burly folk to help me right the car before it caused a nasty incident.
    My helpers, to whom I expressed my gratitude and relief were a little less cheery than those in the video. The damage to the car was only cosmetic which never much of a worry as I always seemed to run my cars into the ground in those days. Much like I seem to do with a bike these days.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Welcome to the Highlands’ is closed to new replies.