Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Weirdness With Clutch Mech
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive got a xt clutch mech and when its engaged I get a weird squealching/stretching type noise when climbing seat or just coasting along, as soon as I stand out of the saddle it goes, to confirm it was this noise I also turned the clutch off, ride and again it instantly goes completely

I can also replicate the noise with the clutch on just pushing down on the saddle, also again turn the clutch mech off and push down on the saddle and the noise goes…..

so whats going on? its a xx1 cassette, xt chain and a absolute black oval chainring

shifting is perfect still, but its obviously something to do with the mech, or wear somewhere on the drivetrain

any ideas?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone? is it just a case of a worn chain? chainring? cassette?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I assume it’s a full sus frame?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep it is, if your thinking chain length, then the shop/dealer did it from day one and ive checked it since a new chain was put on a while ago and its not the sizing, its perfect infact with two extra links spare

teamslug
    Free Member

My Xt mech clutch mechanism has gone a bit funny and makes a noise when I change gear. I have had the cover off and lubed it but its still same. Coming from the barrel with the clamp around it on the clutch part. Its not smooth when you pull on the mech cage. Still changes ok..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

its defo from the rear mech, chain, chainring, not the shifter

guess I could slacken off the clutuch tightness, but then that negates the point of having the clutch on, as I said when its off its deadly silent

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any more thoughts?

Sui
    Free Member

it’s chain growth, it’s pulling the mech and the clutch is trying to [do it’s job] stop it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

but how come its suddenly started to do it? it didn’t do it for ages on a new chain/cassette/chainring?

chaingrowth I kinda thought it was but it makes no sense as the chain has been the same length always

otsdr
    Free Member

If you can reproduce the issue by pushing the cage forward with your hand, you can try opening it up and cleaning/lubing/replacing the “stabilizer unit”: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-deore-xt-rd-m786-stabilizer-unit-5y1-9802-prod34482/

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

it has to be something to do with the clutch I think given it disappears when its turned off completely (and you forget just how smooth shifting is with the clutch off 😥 )

ill have a look see if it makes the same noise by hand on the mech itself

nixon
    Free Member

I’d guess that it’s because the clutch has worn and is now slipping a little rather than moving linearly, so that whenever you’re getting pedal bob and thus chain growth it’s making said noise. Perhaps rather than loosening the clutch actually try tightening it a little bit, to try and counteract the wear.

As a side note I’ve just got a clutch mech and didn’t realise what a difference to shifting it would make when it’s on, obvious in hindsight I suppose but it doesn’t exactly engender me to running with it on, I like my smooth shifting. Good before a “gnar” run though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

that’s exactly what ive been doing tbh, running it off all the time then putting it on before a descent, no biggy, until I forget and it smashes off rips my whole rear end apart 🙁

ill have a look at the mech given its likely to be something to do with that

and yep your right, the shifting is far far superior with it off

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Weirdness With Clutch Mech’ is closed to new replies.