Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Weird slow motorcycle rear-ending cyclists crash!
  • lightman
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18[/video]

uselesshippy
    Free Member

How….
    Just how the ****?

brakes
    Free Member

she needs to pull her trousers up.

Northwind

Mulholland highway strikes! No idea what he was up to there but there’s millions of videos of people crashing on that corner, I guess there’s something confusing about the layout or something since he almost had to steer into the cyclists. False apex or something?

I’ll need to nip over to SVrider and see if it’s anyone I know!

legend
    Free Member

I pegged it as “looking at the thing you’re wanting to avoid”

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Complete incompetence on the motorcyclist’s part?
    Unfortunate for the cyclist to have his bleeding ass displayed all over the internet.

There’s a google maps link in the comments – it does look like a lovely twisty road, I can see why people ride it on bikes with and without engines. It does help to look where you’re going though…

Northwind

Hah, SVRider delivers… Chase camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Av5nQba0I3o

Thread of bikers mostly slating the biker, and then getting stuck into the one anti-cyclist div. <edit- oh and me being rude>

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3021209#post3021209

Doesn’t seem to be one of our guys though, I was hoping it might be with the mods on the bike.

amplebrew

As legend said, I would agree on target fixation.

Can catch out many and inexperienced biker.

Dickyboy

Mulholland does seem to attract its fair share of incompetents doesn’t it – probably more to do with LA bikers lack of experience of corners than anything else given its location

simon_g

It’s a lovely bit of road and close to LA – hence gets a lot of drivers and riders using it when the weather is good. That guy has plenty of videos of crashes (think he camps out there getting photo & video to sell to people), but to be honest it’s not that many considering the amount of traffic it gets on a sunny day.

That accident is classic target fixation – something unexpected appears in your view, you look at it, you ride towards it, you keep looking at it, you ride into it. I’ve done it often enough on my MTB 😀

Nasty crash but it looks like they both came out of it OK considering. A very bent Merlin titanium road frame though…

andytherocketeer

Seen loads of vids for that street, and it’s obviously popular for filming bike spacks, as evidenced by someone being there filming that incident.

Most of those I’ve seen before are all reasonably low speed, and most definitely not trying to replicate IoM TT, so there’s obviously something strange about that road. The guy (and others) are clearly there filming, knowing there will be spacks at lowish speeds. You’d think someone would be suing the ass off of someone and sorting out that road.

chip
    Free Member

I don’t understand the bikers line.
    He comes around the corner practically on the central marker then goes as wide as possible on the outer most marker to hit the cyclist.

If the the cyclist was two foot inside the marker I could understand it as daydreaming.
    Or if the biker was gunning it, then I could understand his line and lack of reaction.

I go around corners all the time and I have never hit anyone unexpectedly because I don’t drive to my expectations but to what I can see.

br
    Free Member

If the cyclist hadn’t been there he’d have probably crashed anyway…

globalti
    Free Member

The motorcyclist saw the bikers too late and slacked off the throttle; didn’t even seem to brake hard and the bike ran wide. The only option would have been to steer round them and he may already have been at his psychological limit of grip. Plenty of others lose grip on that bend judging from the videos; the tarmac looks quite old and may be polished.

madeupname
    Free Member

Braking or even backing off throttle will make the bike run wide…

If he had adequate grip, should have gone for tighter turn with more gas. (Unless he was a novice/numpty and had already stuffed up his line and was going to crash anyway!). If that had been the back of a car the biker would have suffered more, should consider if they are competent enough to be out on twisty roads…

Hope the cyclist is ok….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Weird slow motorcycle rear-ending cyclists crash!’ is closed to new replies.