Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Weird power steering behaviour…
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I am experiencing very inconsistent power steering. When turning I ‘feel’ easy movement and then stiffer movement and then easy movement again on each rotation of the steering wheel. Sometimes there is no problem at all, then later on on the same journey it is heavy again. I had a new pump put in last year. Is that really likely to be failing?

project
    Free Member

Its not a mini is it

Drac

Have you checked the fluid level?

trail_rat
    Free Member

What car My fronteras doing this 9/10 it would be fine then it will go tight loose tight loose and then be find again after a bit

Check all your ujs im the steering column – any bevel boxes make sure they are all well greased with no play. Get someone to turn/rock the wheel while you hold the ujs- looking for no play. All ball joints and tres are in good fettle ?

Garage are changng the rack on my car after changing the power steering belt didnt alleviate the issue for me ( id changed the inner and outer tie rods , upper and lower ball joints and wheel bearings +wheels and tires – as all were pretty shot)- they seem to think the pumps good and i tend to agree having had the gauge on the outlets.

My partner also used to do it – badly worn front near side tire ( at an angle almost) and really badly adjusted tracking was the cause on that – that is to say i got new tires and tracking done and have never had the issue again but it was consisantly there the tit loose tight loose pulsing feeling

parkesie
    Free Member

What car?

Sttering column uj worn out or,

Hydraulic steering could be low fluid a slipping belt, dying pump, knakered rack.

project
    Free Member

also check tyre pressures on front wheels and tyre sizes both the same.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Readin that back sounds like my garage are guessing at what to fix they are not.

I did most of it my self while doing a suspension and body lift to get the tires in.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Berlingo. Tyres are good, but I have really noticed it in the warmer weather this week – I’m running winter tyres – Vredestein Snowtrac3s.

Fluid level is good. I checked it and ran through the air-purge process last night. Could be a U/J. Will take a look.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Weird power steering behaviour…’ is closed to new replies.