• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Weird pain in fingers
  • SaxonRider

So, about six weeks ago, I got this terrible pain emanating from the big knuckle of my right index finger. Later that day, it shot down the finger, and made it immoveable for a good five minutes or so. It was simply excruciating.

Since then, the pain has not entirely gone away, and feels like the tail end of having touched a stinging nettle.

Now today, I was pumping up the tyres on my kids’ bikes, and holding the valve stem in place with my thumb and index finger, when suddenly a similar pain – though not as strong as it originally was in my index finger – shoots through the pad of my thumb.

I have not yet gone to the GP because I thought it would be one of those bizarre occurences that would pass on its own, but now I’m worried and won’t end getting to see a GP before Tuesday.

So STW… any realistic ideas?

SaxonRider

Help me, STW. You’re my only hope.

stoffel
    Free Member

Ah; sounds like nerve damage. The armwill probbly need to be amputated, to stop it spreading to the brain.

Esme
    Free Member

Any other symptoms? Swelling? Bruising?

I had something similar a few years ago. Several doctors had no idea, and eventually a consultant reckoned that a bit of “debris” had blocked a little blood vessel. Nothing serious in my case, but worth getting checked over.

RustySpanner

You’ve got your gloves on the wrong hand?*

*I am not a glover.

SaxonRider

@Esme: no other symptoms at all. No bruising; no swelling. In your case, did the pain eventually go away?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You fallen or done anything to your neck/shoulder/elbow/wrist lately?

pedropete

When you go to the doc ask him to take a blood test for uric acid levels- you may be experiencing a mild gout attack. I suffer from gout – usually in the big toe, but I find my knuckles/ hands feel arthritic before a full on gout attack & this manifests itself as a sharp pain in the knuckles/thumbs, which makes gripping stuff a right pain in the proverbial. I find beer is the biggest culprit, unless it’s German beer brewed under their purity laws.

project
    Free Member

As above Gout attack, drink plenty of water to flush the toxins out, urine smells strong, and dark colur, should be almost clear.
    Had a similar thing few weeks ago.
    Gout hits the joints furthest wy on the body, usually the big toe .

Esme
    Free Member

It doesn’t sound like the same thing, SaxonRider. I had that initial excruciating pain (like a wasp sting), then watched my finger rapidly swell up and turn purple. Maybe like a mini-DVT? But it went back to normal after a day or two.

It’s certainly worth getting checked out though, as others have advised.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Weird pain in fingers’ is closed to new replies.