Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • weird noise…
  • collinstiffee
    Free Member

Right I know this never works, but here goes.
    Bike, shimano XT rear and front. SRAM rear cassette (9)and SRAM chain (9. weird noise on pedalling. sounds like it’s from rear everything looks routed correctly, only noticed it with this new rear wheel. sounds like periodic chain chatter. happens more under stress (up hills) but not always.
    thoughts?
    don’t mind if I end up with a big list to check, so be as random as you like

wombat

Is it your knees?

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I’ll check it, but I’m sure it’s more a metal on metal sound

boxfish
    Free Member

Mech hanger secure?
    Rear skewer tight?
    Cassette on tight enough?

glupton1976
    Free Member

but I’m sure it’s more a metal on metal sound

Hip replacement?

p8ddy
    Free Member

Does the noise coincide with einstürzende neubauten starting to play on your ipod?

If so, I diagnose “Feurio”.

p8ddy
    Free Member

..on a serious note – does it happen on all cogs on the rear cassette? And on both chainrings on the front?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Front tyre pressure, definitely.

Amazing how noises travel & fool you……..

Happy pumping.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

turned all the screws at random and reset the whole thing. will take it out tomorrow for a play. sadly I cannot cycle with music playing. need to hear what’s going on.
    although,,

gears_suck
    Free Member

Have you recently changed some of the drive train. Eg. Chain or chain rings. If you have replaced some of it but not all, it could be the result of wear. Have you routed the chain through the rear derailleur correctly? Is the indexing bang on. Is the front derailleur rubbing the chain in some of the gears. I mean, if you don’t know what you’re looking for it could one of a myriad of random things.

matt_outandabout

Spoke loose? Newest bike in our house has Mavic Crossmax on, and one (loose) spoke has been making the oddest sproinking noise…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Loose cassette?

p8ddy
    Free Member

Collin – It MAY be the bodged plasterboard above your fireplace.

Or the ghost of the old Nissan Almera….

But to be fair – I’m guessing a crappy chain line might be the first thing to check. So noise from front derailer or chain chewing the cassette.

rickon
    Free Member

As above. Loose cassette. You’ll probably be able to move the first few rings if you try. Cassette needs decent torque, read the lock ring and use that amount, something like 20-30nm.

allthepies
    Free Member

Check the spokes, I had a similar noise under load and it turned out to be loose spokes.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

thanks all. It is a new cassette and new wheel set so I’ll double check spokes and that things are as tight as they should be. Being Sunday I’ll also drop into a church and see if I can get a quick exorcism, just in case it’s the Almera.

wait a minute, bodged plastering? Oi!!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Is the chain rubbing on the little tab on the rear mech cage? ie have you routed it correctly? Easy to get it wrong, and the way it looks like it *should* go, results in it rubbing.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Seems to have been sorted by resetting adjustments. Think there was a nit of chain chatter at the back and a bit on the front mech. Many thanks all who suggested possible sources, even the spirit of my old car.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘weird noise…’ is closed to new replies.