Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Weird handlebar choice.
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I am wondering if I should admit defeat and abandon the dropped bars on my road and rough stuff bikes. I like the choice of postion etc and have no control issues but too many injuries and the start of arthritis makes my wrists and elbows really sore after an hour or so. Most of this sort of bike put too much weight on my arms. I am looking at a drop compatable 29er but cost is an issue hear. Even lifted stems pput the bars lower than the seat. My mountain bike is better but I just don't want flat bars. What about some of the odd One Ones or Somas. H bars look fun but pricey. Any one got any suggestions? The ability to get my mates groaning about my strange choices also has a significant virtue!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mary bars? Work for me

clubber
    Free Member

A lot of 29ers have quite high front ends so a reasonable (say 20 degree) rise stem with low drop bars would be a good combo – Singulars Swifts have pretty high front ends – longer than normal fork along with fairly long head tubes (I'm running mine with a negative rise stem and flat bar).

tron
    Free Member

Just buy some handlebars that are comfy. If you must be niche as, fit some horrible grips or handlebar tassles.

clubber
    Free Member

He's not trying to be niche, he just wants a road bike in effect so wants road bars 🙄

yesiamtom
    Free Member

im running about 30mm of spacers on my inbred front end with a hope 35 degree 70mm stem and mid rise easton handlebars. Just about puts them a smidge lower than my seat. First ride last night with them that high and loved it. I think my saddle is a bit freakishly high for my height though.

Keef
    Free Member

I've got knackered wrists and elbows,and Arthritis in my left hand,I've been using Jones bars for 5 or 6 years,and would never go back.Really comfy,great controll,and good range of hand positions,they aint cheap tho,so perhaps the Titec copies may be worth trying,if you don't like 'em,you'll sell 'em easy enough.
    also use a 45 deg stem on my 'old school' bike,brings the bars up to a nice comfy level.

yunki
    Free Member

+1 for On-One Mary bar.. good amount of rise.. great hand postion.. good control.. very comfy and guaranteed to make your mates squirm and call you names..

sofaking
    Free Member

titec also do a flat bar now exactly like a jones bar

the j bar

Moses

+2 for Mary bars. Only £20 on ebay /Priceshaggers for some colours.
    I find them excellent for town and offroad.
    Mrs M had shoulder pain for years when cycling with straight bars, the Marys fixed that.

Baldysquirt

I've got some unused On-One Mungo bars you could have for a tenner plus postage. Fit either mtb or road stems quite happily.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Excellent. Thanks. keep it coming.
    Now what about shifters etc for these. I suppose a flatter bar would allow hydraulic brakes rather than cables but I would have to abandon my beloved Record shifters.
    Why aren't you lot working. I'm a supply teacher with nothing on today. Thats my excuse.
    Matt

Moses

Baldysquirt –
    Can I take the Mungo's please? I'll mail you.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I rather like the look of the Groovy Cycleworks Luv Handles. Not as much sweep as Mary/Jones bars.

clubber
    Free Member

I'll have your Record shifters (seriously – email in profile!)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Thanks but I'm keeping them!

sofaking
    Free Member

groovy cyles luv handles.
    nice and comfy but only a small sweep back

pedalhead
    Free Member

Are those the Ti version, Sofaking? If so, how flexy do you find them? 26 or 28"? Cheers.

finbar
    Free Member

Bah, Groovy Cycleworks ripped the name off Hoffman Bikes. Original Love Handles:

cozz
    Free Member

ive got the titec bars, I can get numbness in my hands on my old carbon easton bars, but since Ive had these its been a lot better mainly due to varied hand positions that can be found

sofaking
    Free Member

28 " version but not ti. Small amount of flex with rigid forks but not much.

singlespeedstu

sofaking.

Are they real Luvhandles or fake ones?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Weird handlebar choice.’ is closed to new replies.