Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weird front wheel problem!
  • FOG

My front wheel with an XT hub has developed a strange quirk. When you put the front brake on and rock the bike to and fro while stationary the wheel rolls half an inch or so. The disc doesn’t move but the rest of the wheel does. Not a headset issue, the disc appears attached solidly , there is no lateral play in the bearings, the q/r is fine and is sat perfectly in the drop out, what on earth is causing this? My other bike has XT hubs and certainly doesn’t do this. At the moment it seems to cause no problems but of course I fear the worse. Suggestions please.

wwaswas

Loose spokes?

Loose headset?

Rorschach
    Free Member

centre lock?

druidh
    Free Member

If the brake isn’t moving and the wheel is then the rotor must be loose. Is it a centrelock rotor by any chance?

Edit: of course it is, it’s XT.

Your lockring is loose.

crikey
    Free Member

Go and have a proper look at it.

Something that shouldn’t be moving is moving, and you’re not looking closely enough.

jameso

^ C-Lock can do this a little. Never worried about it, but I have noticed it.

FOG

!6 bolter so not a lock ring, back to the garage for a full dismantle

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I get play in the rivets that hold the rotor and the rotor’s spider together. It seems to come and go!!

shortcut

Check the calliper bolts and adapters are tight.

theocb
    Free Member

Is it a floating rotor?? (6 bolt or centre loc)
    If so then as others have said mate.. double check the rotor before a full strip down!

If it is a floating rotor (I’ve seen it on Hopes and Shimano), they do have a habit of developing a small amount of play between the spider and disc so you can rock a few mm back and forth!

singlespeedstu

It’ll be a combination of the rotor rivets being worn and pads moving in the brake caliper.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ used to say this could be an issue with centrelock, tho I’ve not seen it (nor he AFAIK)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weird front wheel problem!’ is closed to new replies.