Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Weird engine problem (VAG mechanics help)
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

Golf GT 2.0 TDi on 04 plate.

Was sitting for 4 weeks thanks to the volcano and being stuck in Spain.

Went to start it today and it just turned over again and again, then suddenly warnings STOP!, low engine oil pressure this happened a few times. Top up oil turn over and it starts to catch (acting a bit like a petrol engine) Catches and now runs fine with no warnings.

Was it just because it was sitting for a while or is it fagged and needs to go to the garage?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Diesel starved, slight leak allowing fuel to run back to the tank while the car sat for a while?

snaps
    Free Member

My Ibiza struggles to catch if left for more than a week & puts all the warning lights on – I'm pretty certain its the fuel leaking back to the tank & the cranking needs to build the pressure back up.
    Its fine if used every 3 or 4 days, its been like it for years – only an issue when I go on holiday.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Phew that's pretty much my thinking but managed to worry me though.

fisha
    Free Member

yup – needs the fuel line bled … if your battery is good enough, then you can crank and crank till it bleeds but it'll drain the battery quick time.

that being said, i've bled the fuel line, cracked open the feeds to the injectors whilst cranking, and even when you think it's bled properly it takes a good while of additional cranking to get it going.

when mine had that problem, the engine line repeatedly came on when cranking for longer than normal periods.

lastly, have a look under the car at the fuel lines running from the tank itself. it could well be that you have a leak in the fuel line. do you get a smell of diesel as you get out of the car or come tback to it.

andydicko
    Free Member

Just a word of warning Guys, don't crack the injector lines open on Modern diesels, firstly they operate at about 2000 bar (29500 PSI) and if the pressurised fuel hit your skin it'll cause major problems. Secondly if any swarf or small dirt particles get into the injector pipe it could have catastrophic engine failure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Weird engine problem (VAG mechanics help)’ is closed to new replies.