Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Weird ebay seller
  • SaxonRider

There is nothing wrong or shady about this transaction, but I purchased some wrought iron plant stands from someone in Bolton a week ago, and as soon as I won the auction, I paid and asked the seller if I could have a courier pick them up.

S/he said no, that it would ‘be better in person’.

So, thinking that this meant s/he just didn’t want me to use a courier, I said that my brother – who just lives in Whitworth – could pick them up on my behalf. Hence, I asked for his/her address.

Two days later, I get the same response. It would ‘be better in person’. It now dawns on me that this person will only let the stands go to me, personally, and won’t accept anyone else picking them up.

What’s up with that?!? They were only £20, so it’s not like either of us have a lot invested in this whole transaction, but I’ve never had a seller respond to me like a robot before, just saying ‘It’s better in person. It’s better in person.’

Weird.

scotroutes

They’re stalking you…

simondbarnes

Just get your brother to pretend that he’s you.

scotroutes

simondbarnes – Member
    Just get your brother to pretend that he’s you.

See above 🙂

thehustler
    Free Member

you’ve never heard of the 3rd party courier ebay scam?

SaxonRider

Um, nope. Scams don’t generally cross my mind. What is it?

thehustler
    Free Member

thehustler
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused why the OP hasn’t even already thought of this – presumably your brother is you are going to pay cash when he you pick them up – is the seller going to demand ID?

aracer
    Free Member

Is that where you repeat the same thing 3 times?

SaxonRider

I’m a bit confused why the OP hasn’t even already thought of this – presumably your brother is you are going to pay cash when he you pick them up – is the seller going to demand ID?

I’ve actually already paid by paypal (not Gift!). But no, I hadn’t thought of that. Silly, I guess, but I honestly don’t tend to think about how to work around stuff. That said, of course you are right. I should just do that.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Will you just come and collect your damn plant stands, I’m aching to meet you. In person.

Poopscoop

^^ Lol! 😀

Anyway,
    Sounds like an old Scholl seller perhaps newish to eBay?

Or the sex dungeon is ready and you’re the only component missing.

Either way, I’d send the brother. 😉

SaxonRider

Either way, I’d send the brother.

😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Doesn’t quite fit with what the OP is saying tho..

leffeboy

As above, there is a scam where a courier or someone else is sent round to do the pick up and then they tell PayPal it wasn’t sent so the funds are reversed. Offer to pay by bank transfer instead

shermer75
    Free Member

As above, there is a scam where a courier or someone else is sent round to do the pick up and then they tell PayPal it wasn’t sent so the funds are reversed. Offer to pay by bank transfer instead

All good to know, but the OP is the buyer not the seller lol

oldnpastit

Perhaps it’s a police sting operation?

Is the OP kind of a big deal in the local criminal underworld?

Dickyboy

Shermer75 – you shouldn’t accept PayPal without proof of delivery otherwise the payment can be reversed so as a seller I wouldn’t accept PayPal if buyer is collecting in person lol

leffeboy

All good to know, but the OP is the buyer not the seller lol

yes, but the seller thinks he is the scammer which is why they aren’t allowing a courier

martinhutch

sounds like an old scholl seller

Sounds a bit insole_nt to me. Give him the boot.

shermer75
    Free Member

yes, but the seller thinks he is the scammer which is why they aren’t allowing a courier

Fair point! Apologies, I’m a bit hungover and hard of thinking today!

Poopscoop

I still think the sex dungeon theory is more likely, and more fun. For the seller anyway.

Like I said, let the brother take one for the team..

shermer75
    Free Member

Although, to be fair, getting the buyer to pick up in person isn’t going to help them avoid the scam!

Poopscoop

If sellers eBay name is anything similar to Buffalo Bill I think you need to re-evaluate how much you need these stands.

If he is also selling lamp shades DEFINITELY send the brother.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Weird ebay seller’ is closed to new replies.