Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Weird computer goings on….
  • JackHammer

Hello,

So I built myself a PC about 3 or 4 months ago. It’s great apart from one thing. Sometimes if I click shutdown from the start menu it will shutdown, to the point that all the lights are off on the tower and the screen is shuttingdown to power saving mode etc. Then you turn your back to leave and the thing starts up again.

It also happens sometimes if you just shut it down from the windows login screen, even if I haven’t logged in yet during that session.

I’m struggling to work out the conditions that cause it to do this resurrection start. Seems random to me, as sometimes it just shutsdown and stays down.

Running Windows 10, i5 7500, 8gb ran, asrock mobo, nvidia 1070 gpu, 1tb hdd, 256gb ssd.

Any ideas?

EDIT: ooops wrong forum, sorry.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s become self-aware, you’re we’re all screwed.

mattyfez

Have a look what power settings are set to in bios and windows.

andytherocketeer

You didn’t douse it with champagne?

andytherocketeer

As above, check BIOS for things like Wake on LAN, Wake on USB, etc.

Cougar

As above, check BIOS for things like Wake on LAN, Wake on USB, etc.

I was going to suggest WoL.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Also worth checking:

Button battery on Motherboard
    BIOS – quick boot – disable [could cause odd behaviour]
    BIOS – power-back setting [behavior after power loss] – set it to NOT reboot after a power failure.

Windows – try a reboot, not a shutdown and see if anything changes. Reboots are true reboots, shut-down is, by default, a hybrid hibernate.

JackHammer

Thanks, I’ll try these tonight and report back.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Mine does this sometimes and despite repeated fiddling I’ve been unable to get it to stop. I now turn it off at the plug as well..

jam-bo

My laptop did that after a windows 10 update until I reset the power saving settings to default. Been fine since.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Weird computer goings on….’ is closed to new replies.