Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Weights – where to buy 2nd hand?
  • IainGillam
    Free Member

I seem to remember a few topics on lifting in the past so I’m hoping a few of you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Where do you go to buy decent 2nd hand weights? I’ve been scanning the usual suspects (gumtree and ebay) but can’t find any 7 foot Olympic bars with a good amount of weight plates at all really. Are there any decent forums such as this one with good classifieds sections?

Ta
    Iain

TheBrick
    Free Member

Harden the **** up.

This man won the Ras using concrete so can you.

sadexpunk

ive never found any bargains on ebay or gumtree, all ive got has been bought from here 🙂 just have to be in the right place (here) at the right time

robbo76
    Free Member

Got mine from the local tip

footflaps

Loads on Ebay last time I looked. You often get a complete gym being sold, so sets of 30 dumbbells etc. I bought new in the end as the Olympic bumper plates weren’t that much discounted for being second hand – only 20% ish.

EDIT: If you do buy new, Strengthshop is pretty hard to beat:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weight-plates/black-bumper-plates/150kg-bumper-plates-black.html

footflaps

How about this set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gym-Equipment-/161153926465?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item258585c541

Only slight problem is the seller wants about 10x what it’s worth: “I’m looking for around £6000/6500”!

ianv
    Free Member

Car Boot sales are good places to find cheap weights. Not many olympic bars/weights but plenty of the smaller stuff.

sc-xc

eBay is no good nowadays. Powerhouse fitness have a 145kg Olympic bar set for £239.

footflaps

Powerhouse fitness have a 145kg Olympic bar set for £239.

That’s cast, so no good for the Olympic Lifts. I’ve not seem a bumper plate set any cheaper than Strength Shop.

samuri
    Free Member

We just watched ebay for a while. Because it’s all come and collect stuff there’s bound to be something nearby after a while. I think we paid about 50 quid for a huge set of weights, dumbells, bars, a bench. Guy was glad to be rid of it all.

footflaps

Talking of ‘glad to be rid of’, I have a weight rack I bought, but don’t have space for. I’ll exchange it for a donation to the Philippines Typhoon appeal, but you’ll have to collect….

sadexpunk

where from mate? id be interested if near notts/lincs.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Check your local re-cycling centre, ours often has them in!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

here do you go to buy decent 2nd hand weights?

Define decent; are you talking an Eleiko bar with matching bumpers, a texas power bar and accurate cast weights, or a olympic sized bar with cast weights that might or might not weigh what they say they do?

The last, you could probably find in local freead type papers, recycling centre, pawn shops.

The others, you’d be lucky to find at all IMO

footflaps

where from mate? id be interested if near notts/lincs.

Cambridge, bit of a trek from Notts….

footflaps

The others, you’d be lucky to find at all IMO

People do upgrade. Have you got a local power lifting or OLing club, they might have a notice board?

footflaps

Just seen (on FB) strength shop have an offer on a OLY competition set:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weekly-specials/taishan-full-competition-plate-set.html

Very tempting….

kimbers

I got some off freecycle

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That looks a nice set for the money. Accurate, too (if specs are to be believed).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Weights – where to buy 2nd hand?’ is closed to new replies.