Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weight Training – Am i over doing it?
  • markfu
    Free Member

Can any knowledgeable lifters tell me if i am trying to do too much in one session please?

I only do weights twice a week, so i feel the need to do full body workouts each time i train. I train on Mondays and Thursday, so i think that i have enough rest. I try to avoid isolation exercises as i believe that compound ones are better for gains, and also avoid creating weak points, etc. I do 3 sets of 12, 10, 8 (Is this type of training outdated now?)

My program is as follows:
    Bench press, bent over row, shoulder press, deadlift, squats, dips, wide arm heaves, and upright row. I do this on both days as i feel it pretty much targets everything. I also change which order i do it in every week or two. I pay lip service to my abs at home, as most of these exercises hit the core aswell, and i’m not that fussed about cosmetic muscles.

I don’t feel overly exhausted at the end, but definitely tired enough. I run 3 times a week, hilly, off road. I’ve also just got back on the bike after an 18 month lay off due to living in the flat lands and losing my mojo (Now in SW Germany – lots of good riding potential)

I’ve no intention of getting huge, just a bit bigger, and a lot stronger. I’ve only been doing it for about a month, and a few people have told me that i’m doing too many exercises in each session.

Any clued up input more than welcome.

Cheers

footflaps

I do coached training and we only do a small set of exercises each session. So my 1 hour today was:

10 mins stretches / warm up.
    4×5 Front squats
    4×5 box jumps
    4×5 Deadlifts
    4×5 one arm rows
    4×5 over head press
    3x 1m Plank (front and both sides)

That lot took up a full hour.

zilog6128

Yes. Far too much. You’re probably OK at the moment because, having been at it for only a month, you probably aren’t lifting very heavy weights. Doing the big compound lifts (squats, deads, bench & military press) is a great idea, the rest of the stuff you could take or leave (especially as a beginner). If you’re working out twice a week you should really be doing 2 compound lifts each time and then not doing those lifts again for a full week. I would look at a program like 531, Stronglifts, Starting Stength or similar. 531 is my fave currently because i find it easier to fit in around my running/cycling. To be honest you only really need 30 mins – 1 hr MAX in the gym each time, any more is probably just wasted time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flap_jack
    Free Member

Simple overtraining rule – according to Charles Polaquin, if you’re still waking up with a boner you’re OK.

markfu
    Free Member

Cheers, pretty much the same as what others have been saying.

So with sets of 5 reps are you really pushing it on the weight that you lift?

I’ll check out those programs that you’ve mentioned (531, Stronglifts). Thanks

Flap jack, you mean people wake up with boners?? Must be my age or summink.

footflaps

The 4×5 are at the max I can lift for 5 clean lifts, might warm up with the first set 5kg down and the last set is normally a PB.

After 8 sessions (4 weeks) we swap to 3×8 and drop the weight quite a bit. If you do the same thing for too long you stop benefiting, so you have to keep changing the pattern to keep your body adapting.

zilog6128

So with sets of 5 reps are you really pushing it on the weight that you lift?

yes, for max strength gains and minimal size increases you want to be lifting as heavy as you can for around 5 reps (or less). But as flaps says, you don’t want or need to lift your max every time, you need easy weeks and some sessions with less weight but more reps. This is why I really like 531 as all that is built into the program so it requires minimal thought! I’ve been only been strength training for 11 months now but have been taking it pretty seriously and have done a LOT of reading around the subject. Pretty pleased with myself today as I set a new deadlift PR of 145kg which is almost double my body weight!

emac65
    Free Member

Dead lifts & squats should be at the start of the workout as they use the most muscles & probably shouldn’t both be done on the same day if you’re going heavy…

McHamish
    Free Member

Start off with a good compound exercise like the deadlifts, then do the rest in super sets. That might push it up a notch.

Include some chin-ups or pull-ups.

Then finish off with 2 or 3 lots of 20 burpees, 20 star jumps, 20 leg raises etc, to give you a bit of conditioning at the end.

McHamish
    Free Member

Re the reps, start of with 5/6, then once you can comfortably do 8-10, increase the weight.

PS. I’m not qualified in any way, it’s just the way I do it.

I also do weights now twice a week, my 3rd and final session in the gym is HIIT circuits with weights, albeit lighter weights.

sadexpunk

if youre just doing it twice a week and want a full body routine, then the tentigers full body workout from mens health mag is a good place to start, its what i used to do and was pretty pleased with results. theres a fair bit of discussion on it as well if youre inclined to read it all 😀

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Something I get on well with for keeping some upper body strength is, along with plenty of running, cycling, swimming and push-ups/pull ups at home, was as followes

DAY 1
    Bench Press – 3×10
    Pull up – 3×10
    Standing military press – 3×10
    Bent over row – 3×10

Day 2
    Squat – 3×10
    Deadlift 3×10
    Romanian Deadlift 3×10

Could do this as two work outs per week, ie. Monday and Thursday, or 4x ie. Day 1- Monday. Day 2- tues. Day 1. Thurs. Day 2. Fri.

Workouts are short but intense, work hard, rest short, don’t waste all your life in a weights room. Fits in all the big compounds with barbells and doesn’t waste time doing stupid concentration curls etc.

Useful addition to either day is dips. And make sure core work is done at home, pressups/planks before bed etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weight Training – Am i over doing it?’ is closed to new replies.