Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Weight training
  • TP
    Free Member

I knackered my ankle earlier in the year and while cycling is ok my usual winter keep fit activities of running and swimming (can’t swim without pushing off the side)are best avoided while the physio slowly repairs me.

I need to do something to keep the desk belly at bay so plan on doing a couple (sometimes three) weights sessions a week. Can anybody point me in the right direction/a good plan? I plan on using the local gym which has a good selection of dumbbells and weight machines but no barbells.

Thanks in advance.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Avoid machines and do freeweight and bodyweight exercises would be my advice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t you push off with one leg when swimming??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomsk01
    Free Member

I find it best to split weights sessions into different muscle groups, so day 1 could be chest and triceps, day 2 back and shoulders, day 3 legs, with a rest day between each. I tend to do 3 different exercises in each session, so for chest and triceps do bench press, close grip bench press and dumbbell flys, though its always best to do exercises you feel comfortable with. Obviously make sure you warm up properly first, and do plenty of stretching before and after

Loads of good info and exercises can be found at http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

MSP

I don’t understand how pushing of the wall in swimming places more stress on the ankle than cycling?

I take it you will also be a bit dodgy standing while lifting weights due to the stress that may place on your ankle?

wrecker
    Free Member

If you want to keep the fat down, look at weight circuit type stuff. High reps, low weight, nice and quick. I’d try to use the dumbbells far more than the machines.
    I wouldn’t go far a split routine; that’s bodybuilding.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

if you want to keep the belly at bay, look at your diet

TP
    Free Member

Molgrips – I can but remembering to do it for all fifty lengths is a different challenge. It’s just time to be sensible and stop doing the things that put me one step back.

MSP – It’s back to the habit, I’ve always properly pushed off from the edge of the pool, and once you get into the lengths and onto automatic as it were I forget to adjust. It’s at the point it doesn’t hurt at the time but I feel it the next day. I’ve always been a spinner on the bike and its easy to adjust the route accordingly. They’re also different movements, spring off the toes in the pool but the foot stays relatively flat cycling.

If I want to keep the belly at bay I should stop working at a desk. The belly is not really that bad it’s just I’ve gone from lots of activity to not so much while the body repairs. If it turns out to be permanent then I’ll eat less. Otherwise I’m fit and healthy.

I figured that a circuit type approach might be best. Is the accepted approach work everything? Any links to a dumbbell circuit session?

wrecker
    Free Member

Drop me a PM. I’ll send you a couple of ideas.

hmanchester
    Free Member

The high reps is good for fat loss and ‘toning’ thinking is best left in the 1990s!

Get strong, build muscle, reduce body fat through diet and other lifestyle factors.

Dumbells for compound movements such has bench press the shoulder press, bent over rows.

ZBodyweight stuff such as inverted rows, chin ups, glute ham raises.

Legs and posterior chain are the hardest without a barbell so maybe sub in some machine leg press type stuff with some dumbell lunges, box jumps, pistol squats, goblet squats.

I started with only dumbells and progressed well before getting a full olympic setup. Just don’t be THAT guy y who spends his time doing endless lat raises and medicine ball bench presses with the 6kg dbs in search of toning. Not only will you look like a tool, more importantly you will be wasting time and effort!

tinribz
    Free Member

Excellent link from tomsk01, liked the low volume progressive intensity article.

damo2576
    Free Member

Bang for buck, when doing gym work I had best results (size wize) with this:
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

In my experience worked for both mass and also as less frequent maintenance and time pressed all over gym workout.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

If you’re essentially lazy, like me, you might want to try the stuff recommended by Tim Ferris in the Four Hour Body. That’s what I’ve followed and made some good progress.

wrecker
    Free Member

FFS the bloke has said he wants to keep fat off not build muscle.
    Don’t tell him what he should want from his training.
    Leg press 🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

Weights won’t get rid of

desk belly

tony24
    Free Member

If u stick with compound lifts and lift heavy you will increase mucle and strength deadlifts etc also use alot of energy so combine with a good diet and heavy lifting you will keep the belly at bay. If you go to the gym and lift lifhtweights all night for high reps you are wasting your time its does not tone its you lifting a light weight untill lactic acid builds up .

Shandy
    Free Member

I would advise finding a gym that has a better selection of equipment, if possible. Your physio should be able to help with some weights, but if your ankle isn’t up to things like swimming, realistically you need to do specific rehab. I have done a lot of functional movement and mobility work for a knee injury that has made a massive difference.

Diet is the main way to stop yourself adding body fat, if you can sort your diet out and do exercise (that you enjoy) 3 or 4 times a week then you will shape up.

TP
    Free Member

Nice to see all sorts of assumptions are being made above. I’m doing all the rehabilitation exercises I’ve been given and after four and a half months my NHS physio appointment has come through so i will also have a second opinion. I live in deepest darkest Scotland so its this gym or no gym. While I do need to eat a little less (still eating usual exercise amounts four months later) I’ve yet to be called fat and I’m syill usually one of the first to the top of a climb, I’m just not feeling fit.

There’ll be as much cycling as I can fit in too but with a wife, twin toddlers and a full time job this is usually only twice a week at this time of year.

Thanks for all the input. I’ve found a plan that I think will suit me and see how the next few weeks develop, you never know I may enjoy it and keep doing it once I’ve been given the all clear.

hmanchester
    Free Member

So you gave us little information, took it badly when we then made assumptions, then did your own thing anyway.

Why did you post in the first place?

organic355
    Free Member

On top of my regular weights traiing and karate I have just started this medicine ball workout with an 8kg ball, its harder than it looks!!

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/ultimate-medicine-ball-workout

you can get a decent ball for £15, so you could do this at home.

http://www.rdxinc.co.uk/authentic-rdx-heavy-duty-leather-medicine-ball-3kg-5kg-8kg-exercise-fitness-gym/

zilog6128

^^^^ pretty sure that’s not an actual spam post, looks like you’ve inadvertently stumbled across the perfect formula though 😆
    FWIW rdx products are the cheapest & nastiest out there. All over eBay at the moment. Treat yourself to something decent!

hmanchester
    Free Member

Wrecker, yes absolutely leg press, along with the other things suggested.

Heavy weights and compound movements will make you stronger and healthier. Your diet on top of this will dictate whether you will put on muscle, lean out, etc.

organic355
    Free Member

FWIW rdx products are the cheapest & nastiest out there

I have to disagree with that, yes they are cheap, but so far I have bought RDX weight lifting belt, weight lifting gloves, knee straps, 2 medicine balls, inner boxing gloves/glove liners, martial arts shin pads & MMA shorts.

All have been pretty decent quality for the price paid, and no I dont work for them. Agreed not a “premium” brand but good value for money IMHO.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to be able to circuit train at lunchtime and it really seems the best compromise for strength, flexibility and fitness. Our PTIs have recently started including a lot of compound moves such as starting from a prone position and explosively jumping up with a medicine ball to throw it over arm at the wall, catch then re-set. Exercises everything as far as I can see and quite a lot of fun.
    I haven’t regularly done a weights session for about five years and now realise how mind-numbingly boring it is (I haven’t put on any weight without it).

_tom_
    Free Member

I used to do open bar stuff (squats, deadlifts, bench press etc) and I thought that was great. It’s not convenient for me to always get round my mates house to work out with him though, and I won’t join a gym, so I’ve started doing this workout with some dumbells my brother gave me – http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Noticing strength gains already and I’m looking a bit more defined.

zilog6128

All have been pretty decent quality for the price paid, and no I dont work for them. Agreed not a “premium” brand but good value for money IMHO.

Fair enough, you have tried a greater range of products than I did – I got a few different pairs of bag mitts which were utterly appalling, even considering the price. Perhaps their other stuff is OK!

I haven’t regularly done a weights session for about five years and now realise how mind-numbingly boring it is

IME a decent weights program will be too short (30-45 mins max including warm up) and FAR too much hard work to have time to get bored!

redted
    Free Member

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

I’m 12 weeks in, I still cant do 100 (I can do 68 though, and I did 12 in the initial test!) but I’m ripped to **** now, my stomach is flat and I’ve lost my moobs too.

You can even do it while you are watching telly, it takes about 30 mins a week.

Very addictive, get a few of your buddies on it and race them to 100.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Weight training’ is closed to new replies.