Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Weight saving – pedals??
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Already have light enough wheels/tyres etc and also cranks. Is it foolhardy to spend cash losing 1/3lb of weight form pedals?

takisawa2

No.

Offroading
    Free Member

no.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    racing_ralph
    Free Member

no its pointless or no its not foolhardy

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

What pedals do you have? I think the best spd’s in terms of weight vs cost are M540’s, 350g or so and fairly cheap.

Offroading
    Free Member

Look Quartz Cromo – about £50 and 260 grams.

hp_source

I guess so long as you lose no function or comfort from the change it’s a not a bad thing.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Time z freerides at 530g per pair

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Egg Beater SLs. Light, work great, look nice. Love em, even if they require occasional rebuild – like once every 2 years if you grease them now and again.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what was that response aimed at?

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Get some second hand 540s for £20 or so, a great cheap weight saving

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

My response?

That was aimed at first post – great pedals, and light.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Calulate £ per gram saved, not going to be much more effective than stationary weight saved .

druidh
    Free Member

Why ask? You know it’s always worth it – and there are loads of pedals lighter than those (rather porky) Times you have

mudshark
    Free Member

The lightest pedals I’d go for are SS egg beaters though I think Ritchey do some light ones that might be good. I’ve used egg beaters but prefer Shimano for reliability/cleat wear and use 540s though prefered egg beaters in use probably.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Z Freerides are really heavy compared to the lighter versions of Atacs you can get if you want to stick with Times. You can easily get them 2nd hand on e-bay.

druidh
    Free Member

Avoid Ritchey pedals at all costs. They look nice, weigh little and perform well, but they’re “return to service centre” for maintenance and repair. I’ll not buy from them again until they fix this (which they are for 2010).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

This is prompted by needing new cleats for my Times (which i love) and it is as cost effective to get new pedals with new cleats and flog the old pedals. I need 3 sets of cleats 🙁

xc-steve
    Free Member

I’ve recently changed my pedals, and as there such a vital thing I gave myself no price limit (within reason) provided they fit to my standard criteria of lightest but strong enough to last an uplift day. I narrowed it down to Ti Egg Beaters, Those Candy things or XTR. XTR won, being the cheapest of the best and because of the rave comments of their durability. Admittedly their quite heavy compared to other high end pedals but the price and durability won it for me.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Why are XTR better than m540s? bearings? materials?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Yeah small things, like all XTR parts. Stuff which most people scoff at but when you have them you convince yourself notice they’re better…

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

They’re only marginally lighter than M540 and way more expensive…a silly choice in my book, but I place vfm quite highly!

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I’ve just made a similar switch away from time zs, went for time atac rocs instead, same time feel, lighter

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Crank bros smarty – 282g and £20

Whats the catch?

Bimbler
    Free Member

My weight weeny roadie mate swears by Speedplay

Speedplay guff

njee20
    Free Member

Pedals are not the place to save chunks of weight. Having tried Xpedo Ti/ti, Ritchey WCS and Look Quartz Carbon/Ti they all fell apart irrepairably within 6 months and all cost over £150 rrp.

The Quartz are light, but are easily the worst product I’ve tried in my entire life, they just don’t work well! The Carbon/Ti ones seized solid after 2 rides, then the body snapped when I was taking them apart.

It’s the same of Eggbeaters, they’re light, but they fall apart regularly, and even with servicing the lightest ones won’t last more than a year or so!

XTR are light enough, dependable and will last forever, any lighter is a mistake IMO.

Candy’s will require regular servicing and still won’t last long, if that doesn’t bother you, then they’re good pedals.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Another vote for XTR here.

Reasonably light, robust, and durable.

Yes there’s lots that are light, and some of them are fragile.

SB

aviemoron
    Free Member

Call me f*rkin mad, but I’m running Eggbeater 4Ti on my bike! No justification whatsoever, but they have lasted nearly 2 years including 2 x Scottish winters.

Toasty

They’re only marginally lighter than M540 and way more expensive…a silly choice in my book, but I place vfm quite highly!

Much like M540s are exactly the same weight as M520s and double the cost I guess 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

520s are 380g and £23 540 are £32 and 350g

mboy
    Free Member

Crank bros smarty – 282g and £20

Whats the catch?

They’re SHIT!

I’ve got a pair… Now I’m a massive Crank Bros pedal fan compared to Shimano SPD’s, but the Smarty’s really are a let down. Done maybe 15 or 20 rides on these Smarty’s now, and they’ve as good as fallen apart. LOADS of play in them, total crap if you ask me.

Have Candy C’s on my other bike, no issues. Similar amount of use, they’re still like new. Totally rebuildable too (Smarty’s are throw away!), and a 2 year unconditional warranty.

Personally couldn’t use Eggbeaters (too little to stand on), but if weight saving is your only goal, you have to go a long way to beat the 4ti eggbeaters! Though they are silly expensive.

Offroading
    Free Member

There’s too much personal preference and bias towards pedals.

Njee has had no end of issue’s with Look Quartz pedals – mine have been fine so far ive had all three types and now own a set of the Carbon/Ti versions – which have had 200 miles put on them so far without issues. And i love how they clip in/out too.

I tried Eggbeaters and found i couldnt use them – such a small contact patch makes them useless for me. Candies were OK but creaked instantly and wore out after a few months.

Shimano pedals work – no doubt about it but you take the weight penalty. I tried Xpedo Ti/Ti too – and like alot of other pedals they wore out within 6 months and weren’t fixable – so are nice paper weights.

Consider too the Look Quartz CAN Be serviced, like Shimano and Eggbeaters although with them its more of a requirement rather than an option!

Anthony
    Free Member

For reference, the actual weight of a pair of XTR sd’s exc. cleats is 329g.

Glad I paid £55 from Merlin last year now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

these are pretty light………………

sq225917
    Free Member

Ritchey Micro Pro V4 Road, single sided goodness hang at the right angle to stamp straight into, great xc pedal with minimal footprint. use them on my road and XC bike.

Use em and bin em every two seasons, only £50 and light as hell.

onewheelgood

I used Candy SLs for years, afraid of the small contact patch of the Eggbeaters. Recently switched to Eggbeater SLs on the grounds they they are definitely the least weight for the money and they look really hardcore to non-cyclists, and I can’t feel the difference (Shimano shoes). So I’d say that the contact patch thing is a non-issue, as long as you are using decent shoes. If you are gluing your cleats to a pair of espadrilles you might have a problem.

smurf
    Free Member

XTR here as well (959 I think). Like them – again a good combination of weight, price and fit and forget.

smurf

GaryLake
    Free Member

Avoid CB – cleat life and bearing life (on the low and mid range anyway) is shocking.

Cleats last < 6 months if you ride regularly (I get 18 months+ out of shimano). If you’re dumb enough to use the bolts provided you will be drilling them out no matter how well you greased them and maintained them.

Bearing life on the candys was shocking, Acids were actually pretty alright.

I like the system, can’t live with the build.

Oh and in a crash, they have this amazing ability to lock you into the bike, I normally needed the bike picking up for me and pointing upright as I lay on my back and try and wiggle a foot free – I think there’s a certain angle (which is the one you usually end up in when crashing) where the pedal gets tighter, not looser when you twist out… 😯

Just gone back to shimano…

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Same here onewheelgood.

Switched from Candy to Eggbeaters cos I couldn’t tell the difference either, but E/B even easier to get into. The Candys did fail on me after about a year riding in all conditions – very often bad – but I didn’t grease them once. The Eggbeater SL have not yet failed after 2 years(5000 miles), though there is play. I have greased these from time to time, but not as much as I should. Love em, as I’ve said already.

Admit price of cleats annoys me, but life isn’t that bad.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Weight saving – pedals??’ is closed to new replies.