Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Weight saving 650b wheels?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Wheels waiting to go on the new bike are around 1900g for the pair, that’s Hope Pro2 Evo hubs and pretty light WTB Frequency i23 rims. Were these to become just spare wheels I’d like to get something that can save proper weight, say <1600g. What would you suggest?

Anything available with cartridge hubs and below the price of Enve carbon rimmed wheels? In the past I ran olympic rims and XTR hubs for a 1370g wheelset. Surely something properly tough at 1600g is possible.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

American Classic wide lightnings- they are around 1600g a set for 650b. My lbs quoted me £450 for a set.

schmiken

Mack hubs laced to Nextie tubular rims with DT Revolutions. Less than 1250 grams total.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hadn’t heard of them until now, but I think they’re cup and cone? Not the be all and end all I suppose, but really prefer cartridge. 1512g according to AC site, but the descriptions of the wheelsets isn’t there. That’d be an ace 1lb saving though.

matther01
    Free Member

AC are a bit prone to damage.

Currently building easton arc 27mm on DT Swiss 240 with revs, coming in at 1640g. Using arc 24mm would get you to 1600g

moneytrain81
    Free Member

If you aren’t against carbon, then I just got my Superstar AM Carbon wheels, 1627g for the pair on my scales. And they have a 15% off premade wheelsets code in august too. Cost £385 for them so can’t complain.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What about SRAM Roam 50? Anyone using them?

kevin1911

Money train, looks like they’re sold out of the 650b options on those wheels.

I’ve heard good things about DT Swiss 1501s. Quite pricey though.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

My order was listed as ‘back ordered’ after I ordered and they went out of stock. Asked them and they said all it meant was they just had to build them fresh from the individual parts in stock, so worth keeping an eye on them while that code lasts for august.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

DT 1501 looking good, will add to the list

damascus
    Free Member

Plus 1 for American classic wide lightening wheels

orangeboy
    Free Member

My rather overweight boss uses ac widelighning and they have been perfect so far.
    Either that or some light bicycle rims about £300 in your hand and some novatec hubs should make a good cheap stiff wheel set

onewheelgood

ZTR 3.30 with Crests are 1520g – I’ve got them on my XTC and I’m very happy with them.

jonnyrockymountain

Wide lightening here superb

njee20
    Free Member

American Classic hubs (which are cartridge bearing) on your choice of Light Bicycle rims. Similar price to Wide Lightnings, but I’d sooner have the carbon rims. My 29er ones are 1370g, you could go for a much wider/tougher rim and still come in under 1600.

julians
    Free Member

Just read a review on those american classic wide lightening wheels, and the main drawback (according to the review) is a slow pickup in the freehub, has that been a problem for anyone in the real world on here?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Should have stated this is for some pretty rough trail riding,maybe that muddies the water a bit.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve just had a new rear built up; Hope Pro2EVO on 35mm LB carbon rim.

Didn’t weigh it but it feels light in my hand, and rides really well.

Saving up for the front now…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Weight saving 650b wheels?’ is closed to new replies.