Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • weight of a Canon EOS 60D
  • clanton
    Free Member

Looking at possibly getting a small tripod for the above as a gift but need to know how much it weighs – there is an option for a 3kg tripod and another for 5kg. It has a zoom lens – I think 80-300mm?

Drac
    jaymoid

Depends on the lens there too, the 70-300mm L lens will weigh more than a 60D for example. Some tripods have the option of being able to hang your bag under it to weigh it down to stop it toppling.

I have a 60D, and ended up with a manfrotto 190xprob, but this isn’t really a small tripod.

clanton
    Free Member

Ok so body is 780grams, need to find out what the lens weighs…

She has a very big very nice tripod but looking for something a lot more protable.

dashed
    Free Member

So many websites out there with the weight / spec of bodies and lenses, including Canon’s own website… Surely that would be a faster way to find your answers than posting on a bike forum??

toppers3933
    Free Member

Go for the one with the bigger capacity. Gives some leeway.

jaymoid

Surely that would be a faster way to find your answers than posting on a bike forum??

If everybody followed the same logic there would only be about 3 posts a day on this forum! I like all the variety, but I get what you mean, this is finding out a fact rather than opinion.

Cougar

LMGTFY.

I’m not aware of an 80-300, but there’s a 70-300 and an 80-200.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_80%E2%80%93200mm_lens
    Weight: 1,330g / 275g / 260g / 250g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_70%E2%80%93200mm_lens
    Weight: 1,490g / 1,470g / 1,310g / 760g / 705g

So assuming a Canon lens it’s somewhere between a quarter of a kilo and 1.5 kilos depending on exact model.

Assuming the heaviest and adding the ~3/4Kg body weight above gives us a total of two and a quarter kilos, so the 3Kg limit tripod leaves us three quarters of a kilo spare for flash guns and so on.

Cougar

Incidentally,

Tripods are a fairly personal choice, there’s a million different models. “Is it strong enough” is the easiest question to answer. Unless you know what features she’d be looking for in a tripod you could end up with a well-meaning but expensive paperweight. I’ve still not bought one myself because I’ve spent a year looking for the perfect model and not found it yet.

cp

Drac’s link was to the D60, not the 60D.

Not much in it though, the 60D is 755g.

clanton
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have v little access to internet at work – and can’t very well do these searches at home! Knowing that there are loads of camera buffs on STW – and what a helpful bunch you all are – I figured this would be the best way to get the info I needed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘weight of a Canon EOS 60D’ is closed to new replies.