Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Weight Loss: should I eat breakfast before or after my morning commute?
  • Solo
    Free Member

Pffffffffffffttt.. I think you missed the bit where I said an 11 mile commute took me 45 to 50 minutes! I’m not exactly Wiggo here

I’m with you. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good sprint or higher pace ride, may be once or twice a week. But I know folk who, whenever they get on their bike. Have to go Max-attack. I guess they can’t help it.

To meet the demands of sustained, higher intensity exercise, the body will release other hormones and will need carbohydrates to fuel the activity. In those situations, if you haven’t carb’d-up correctly, then things might not turn out as expected.

🙂

GrahamS

To be fair, 45 mins is me pushing myself 😳

brakes
    Free Member

I’m loathe to change too much as it seems to be working so far.

if it’s working then just ignore me 🙂

I’m using the MFP app too (it’s really good isn’t it) and it suggests that my calorie goal is 1,270 per day (including 10 hours of exercise a week) and I’m a bit shorter and lighter than you. But my weight goal is to be achieved in 5 weeks so I guess it stands to reason that you can eat more than me you b****** 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

1,270 per day

😯

howellj1
    Free Member

Try just eating breakfast during your commute; Cornflakes and milk followed by boiled egg and soldiers. I think that would guarantee more weight loss. 😀

mogrim

Eat before, and limit yourself to a black coffee or similar when you get to work. If you eat after you’ll eat twice as much.

Personally I don’t need to eat after 11 miles, it’s not that far!

GrahamS

I’m using the MFP app too (it’s really good isn’t it)

Yeah it’s helping me lose weight – ergo I like it 😀

I even got to see my own nob yesterday without using a mirror. Not all of it mind, but it’s a start 😉

(it hasn’t aged well though 😕 )

t suggests that my calorie goal is 1,270 per day (including 10 hours of exercise a week)

I don’t think it includes the exercise goal you set in your calorie goal. Your 1270 should be a baseline which you add exercises calories to as you earn them.

The exercise goal just seems to be there to keep you on target – changing it doesn’t alter your calorie allowance.

my weight goal is to be achieved in 5 weeks

Oooof!

Yeah I’m looking for reasonably slow, sustainable loss cos I’ve got a fair way to go (7 kilos lost so far, another 5 to go before I hit “normal range” BMI).

I’m a bit shorter and lighter than you

My wife is on a similar allowance to you and she fits in a size 8 😀

you can eat more than me you b******

That’s Fat B***** if you don’t mind 😀

loum
    Free Member

Eat whatever roadkill you hit on the commute.

brakes
    Free Member

Your 1270 should be a baseline which you add exercises calories to as you earn them.

yep, that’s what I mean.
    I’ve only been doing it for 2 weeks.
    calorie intake is 1,600-1,800 on week days with an estimated -600 from exercise. 2,500 on the weekend when I’ll do a 2/3 hour ride = -1,500 kcals.
    I’ve found that the calorie target is fairly easy with the exercise, but I only have carbs (bread, potato, pasta or rice) at lunchtime.
    I eat a lot of eggs.
    I loves eggs.

GrahamS

I only have carbs (bread, potato, pasta or rice) at lunchtime

Do you stick to the MFP recommended macros then or did you set your own?

(I’m not very savvy when it comes to “sports nutrition” or any nutrition for that matter – hence this question and my rather blind adherence to what MFP says).

brakes
    Free Member

I didn’t know what they were until you mentioned them…
    MFP suggests carb/fat/proteins should be 55/30/15, my actuals are 40/43/17.

I don’t know much about sports nutrition either – my regime is a hybrid of:
    – eat what you want but count calories
    – low carbs with virtually none at dinner time – mainly lunchtime sandwiches
    – hardly any additional sugar
    – avoid processed foods
    – eat lots of eggs as they are yummy, low in calories and filling
    – exercise

GrahamS

Okay, looks like MFP recommends the same macro ratio to you. Not sure how it comes up with that one. I tend to be spot on for Protein but take slightly more fat and less carb than it suggests – so very similar to you.

I like eggs too – sadly they are as bad for you as smoking!* 😉

* according to recent nonsense in the Daily Mail (non-DM link)

brakes
    Free Member

only if you smoke at the same time and have a pre-existing heart condition and the bottom of the article says

there is no firm evidence that egg yolks are as bad for you as smoking.

good old NHS 😐

GrahamS

good old NHS

I think they did a pretty good job of carefully rubbishing the Daily Heil’s boggle-eyed headline without actually saying “they are deliberately misrepresenting a study to sell papers. Again.” 😀

Solo
    Free Member

only if you smoke at the same time and have a pre-existing heart condition
    Exactly !.

Its no surprize to me that Atherosclerosis and stroke are linked to smoking, along with a western, grain based diet, which has prevailed during the last ~50 years.

I believe that if you reduce your propensity for the onset of atherosclerosis, you will not see as much if any accumulation of arterial plaque, etc. I don’t see eggs as bringing on atherosclerosis.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Interesting thread. I’ve often wondered this myself but I’m too sleep deprived to trade time in bed for food in stomach!

I commute on an empty stomach but I’m still full of energy. I’m skinny if that’s relevant. My commute takes 25 minutes at a decent pace.

When I get to work I eat a huge bowl of porridge at my desk.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Weight Loss: should I eat breakfast before or after my morning commute?’ is closed to new replies.