Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Weight loss
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X8sUiN]WeightGraph[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

Started at the end of May.

Target of 2 pounds a week reducing to 1.5 and then 1 pound a week as the easy weight disappears and the hard to shift weight remains. Means a steady and sustainable weight loss without making me die.

Predicted uses the last couple of weeks to predict the trend

14 Stone = 196lbs = the final destination

Achieved = Monday morning weigh in after a pee but before a coffee.

Interesting that the actual weight seems to drop, level out for a while and then drop again. The one week of weight gain was a week stuck in a hotel. Cause and effect!

theotherjonv

But the whole point of the app is it can draw a trending graph – you don’t need to study daily detail and you don’t even need to look at the reading for that day. I’ve been weighing myself daily for years and feel much less detail-oriented and fixated with the app.

If you only look at the trend graph, and don’t study the detail or even look at the reading for the day why even bother taking it? Just take the trend ones. As WCA seems to be doing – who cares what the interim ones were, look at the (excellent) trend. (Good job WCA!!)

plyphon
    Free Member

MSP that video is great.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

As WCA seems to be doing – who cares what the interim ones were, look at the (excellent) trend. (Good job WCA!!)

Thanks for your kind words.

I take the interim ones because despite knowing what I a meant to be doing I occasionally stray and checking during the week is good motivation (for me) not to have that extra beer / wine / food that evening.

I know (logically) that daily variances make daily weighing kind of irrelevant but seeing an increase one day will give me the emotional kick to not slip again that evening.

This shows the person to person differences. Reading your earlier posts you see the daily weight increase and get demotivated – why should I bother?. I see the same and think – Must do better.

Both valid responses and neither is better than the other. You see the motivational posters saying “Winners don’t quit and Quitters don’t win!” – macho bollocks. If you don’t quit and you don’t win then your life is a continual kicking. Either change the game or accept that not everyone can be a winner and work out where you want to be in the following pack.

Wookster

WCA, what app is that?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Excel and the bathroom scales.

Ignore the predicted which is a bit complicated to explain.

Start by getting the actual numbers on one sheet and show the graph on another.

1st Sheet
    Column A holds the dates
    Column A 1st row = Start date
    Column A All subsequent rows = Row above + 7

Column B holds the target
    Column B 1st row = Start weight in pounds (or kilos or whatever)
    Column B All subsequent rows = Row above – 2 (or whatever you want as the weekly target. I changed mine after a few weeks when the easy weight disappear to Row above -1)

Column C holds the actual
    Column C 1st row = Start weight
    Column C Subsequent rows = Actual weight on the date shown in the same row on column A

Column D holds the target
    Column D all rows fixed at the target unless you want to move your target over time

Sheet 2
    Generate a graph based on sheet 1 and fiddle with the axis until you are happy

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you only look at the trend graph, and don’t study the detail or even look at the reading for the day why even bother taking it? Just take the trend ones.

Because, as I said, a weekly reading may not be accurate because of yesterdays daily fluctuation, so taking it daily makes the trend more accurate.

And, as I inferred, and WCA has just said

I know (logically) that daily variances make daily weighing kind of irrelevant but seeing an increase one day will give me the emotional kick to not slip again that evening.

Using scales that link to an app is a lot less work than WCA and his excel spreadsheet, I just step on my scales after my morning shower for a few seconds and that is it. I can see any daily gain if I want, but it is backed by the trending graph as well.

From daily weighing I know that baked potatoes seem to hold some sort of magic for me and help me to drop weight, even though I smoother them in butter. And I know that a Ritter marzipan bar is equal to one pound extra weight the next day. I wouldn’t know this if I did weekly weighing.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss’ is closed to new replies.