Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 560 total)
  • Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!
  • cheers_drive

Like a good husband to be I’m supporting miss CD on her pre wedding diet by following it too. It’s the south beach diet which as far as I can make out is very low carbs and no alcohol for the first 2 weeks then slow carb.
    I’ve just lost 5.2kg in the first week, I had put on 2kg in the 2 weeks before that due to my stag do, a wedding and business trip. I’m sure I read that a person can’t lose more than a kg of fat a week so what have I lost?

khani
    Free Member

A leg?..
    Edit..sorry, I missed the husband to be bit, your wallet….

donsimon
    Free Member

Your head?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Our collective will to live?

headfirst
    Free Member

control over your bowel movements? (aka, the ‘D Plan’)

jota180
    Free Member

This South Beach diet sounds like another one of these ‘live like our ancestors’ fad diets that seem to be popular on here.

In order to get back to normal average sizes we need to look back and see what they did different
    With that in mind, perhaps the tapeworm diet is the way to go?
    After all, most of our ancestors probably had them

bobbyspangles

you big fanny

wwaswas

you big fanny

would that weigh 5.2kg?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘live like our ancestors’ fad diets

They’re not fads. People ate like that for millennia!

wwaswas

People ate like that for millennia!

I’m going to eat like I do for millenia too. Or die trying.

donsimon
    Free Member

This South Beach diet sounds like another one of these ‘live like our ancestors’ fad diets that seem to be popular on here.

You could be right, from what I’m seeing the modern, up to date, diet of processed food is clearly the way to go. I think it’s called progress, innit?

weeksy

Well of course they did… they didn’t have the ability to eat any other way.

We went without medicine for millenia too… doesn’t mean it was a good idea.

How about water purification, should we go back to non-treated water ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How about water purification, should we go back to non-treated water ?

I’ll just check my Paleo ‘tablet’, I’m sure the answer is carved in it somewhere.

IainAhh
    Free Member

The south beach diet does work for quick weight loss but is really hard to maintain as it suggested.

The South Beach Diet Phases

Phase 1, The Strictest Phase of the Diet – Lasts 14 days

In the first phase, you eat normal-sized helpings of lean meats, such as chicken, turkey, fish, and shellfish. Vegetables are also allowed, so are nuts, cheese, and eggs. The goal is to eat three balanced meals a day, and to eat enough so that you don’t feel hungry all the time.

Diet Foods to enjoy includes tenderloin, sirloin, skinless chicken or turkey breasts, all types of fish, boiled ham, turkey bacon, whole eggs, fat-free cheeses, peanuts and pistachios, green vegetables, legumes, canola and olive oils.

Diet Foods to avoid include, beef rib steaks, honey-baked ham, breast of veal, all yoghurt, ice cream, milk including whole, low-fat, soy, and full fat cheeses, beets, carrots, corn, yams, fruits and fruit juices, all alcohol, all starchy foods such as bread, cereal, oatmeal, matzo, rice, pasta, pastries, baked goods, crackers, etc.

Expected Weight Loss: 8-13 pounds.

Phase 2, More Liberal Phase Lasts Until You Reach Your Weight Loss Goal

The second phase is similar to the first phase, but you reintroduce some of the banned foods and eat from all the dietary food groups. You can start eating high-fibre carbohydrates, such as whole-grain breads, which raise your insulin levels in a much milder way that do simple, starchy carbohydrates.

Additional Diet Foods to enjoy include, most fruits, fat-free or 1 percent milk, other low-fat dairy foods, whole grain starches, barley and pinto beans and red wine.

Diet foods to eat sparingly, include: refined wheat baked goods, potatoes, beets, carrots, bananas, pineapple, watermelon and honey.

Expected Weight Loss: 1-2 pounds per week.

Phase 3 – Weight Maintenance

This diet phase, which is an even more liberal version of the initial diet plan, lasts the rest of your life. It should be used to maintain your healthy weight. Agatston describes this phase as a “way of life.” Should your weight begin to climb, you repeat the diet plan.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve used up your carb stores (and not replaced them). Each gram of carbs you store also stores 4g of water or something, so there’s quite a bit of water tied up there.

You could be right, from what I’m seeing the modern, up to date, diet of processed food is clearly the way to go.

I’m fairly confident you can use the modern world to obtain a wider variety of healthy food than our ancestors did without having to eat processed food.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

you can use the modern world to obtain a wider variety of healthy food than our ancestors did

But that ain’t Paleo Molly!

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m fairly confident you can use the modern world to obtain a wider variety of healthy food than our ancestors did without having to eat processed food.

Like what?
    Pretty much everything is a variation on a basic set of foodstuffs, isn’t it?
    Back to your bread, traditionally made bread goes stale after 24 hours yet the modern crap will last a week. What’s the difference?

molgrips
    Free Member

Er like fruit that doesn’t grow in the UK, or – if you want to back to pre-agricultural times, pretty much any fruit and veg out of season. And dairy products including eggs.

I’m just taking issue with your post that seemed to imply the choice is either paleo or processed junk.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You entered the Nevis Tri yet Molly? How’s the training going?

donsimon
    Free Member

So you mean the difference between getting your Vit C from UK grown strawberries as opposed to those Valencian oranges.
    So you’re right in there being greater variety but not necessarily that the greater variety is offering any thing more than was available previously.

emsz
    Free Member

don, I can make bread that will last a few days. Just add oil…I use rape seed as it’s got not taste.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I always wonder why, if the paleo diet was so good, what it was that made out ancestors stop eating it?

molgrips
    Free Member

So you mean the difference between getting your Vit C from UK grown strawberries as opposed to those Valencian oranges

No, because in paleolithic times there was no agriculture, and no strawberries outside of June-September. You couldn’t even store locally grown winter veg either, because even if they had the means to store it without it going off/being eaten by bears, they wouldn’t have been able to grow a surplus without agriculture.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I always wonder why, if the paleo diet was so good, what it was that made out ancestors stop eating it?

Mr Kellogg.

they wouldn’t have been able to grow a surplus without agriculture.

Wouldn’t that be ‘find’ a surplus as if they were purposefully growing it then that would be agriculture?

wwaswas

Mr Kellogg.

Who was a bit of a nutter, from most of what I’ve read, for instance;

He was very much against sex. He believed that sex and masturbation (and eating meat) led to weakness, illness, and eventually death.

I don’t think it was quite so much a religious belief in him as a set of quack medical theories that he subscribed to.

He wasn’t the only person in the 19th century claiming that masturbation and other sexual expressions caused insanity, illness, and death, though– this was a fairly popular theory among medical writers and doctors of the time. They also prescribed arsenic and strychnine as medicines.

Just to remind us that everything wasn’t better in the old days.

I found this quote from one of Kellog’s books:
    “In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid [phenol] to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement.”
    No doubt.

donsimon
    Free Member

means to store it without it going off/being eaten by bears, they wouldn’t have been able to grow a surplus without agriculture.

*wonders how much Vit C can be found in bear meat*

He was very much against sex. He believed that sex and masturbation (and eating meat) led to weakness, illness, and eventually death.

Mr Borgnine would have disagreed…

emsz
    Free Member

wwasawas, did you see that thread a while back? I thought Jamie was being silly. I read some other stuff re Kellog, what a weirdo, but back then it wasn’t uncommon!!

That carbolic thing makes me cross my legs everytime I read it *shudder* Can you imagine!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Wouldn’t that be ‘find’ a surplus as if they were purposefully growing it then that would be agriculture?

They wouldn’t have been able to grow a surplus, because they weren’t growing anything.

Bored today Yeti? Or do you feel the need to nitpick absolutely every post I make?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Mr Kellogg.

Does this not make the name paleo rather misleading if we were still eating it up to 1900 or so?

According to Wikipedia it refers to the exclusion of grains and dairy products which were eaten long before Mr Kellogg came along.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I think that although our ancestors may (or may not) have been healthy due to their diets being different and simpler, at some point they must have begun to broaden their diet. Presumably taste was one factor, anothers might be that they felt better / had more energy / were healthier / could feed more for the same effort / greater variety etc. They didn’t make this choice because of the marketing departments of food companies and there is long history of humans between the paleo period and the 1900s when Kellogg etc. began processing food when food was reasonably healthy and people did OK.

Basically, I can’t see beyond it being a fad.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does this not make the name paleo rather misleading if we were still eating it up to 1900 or so?

We weren’t. Paleo means pre-agricultural, so no grains.

I too do not think that just because we evolved to eat particular foods doesn’t mean anything else is bound to be harmful. In reality we evolved (like all omnivores) to be very flexible and be able to eat just about anything. This is one reason we are so successful as a species (in biological terms, no argument about what defines success please).

Plus our ancestors used to eat wildly different things depending on where they were.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

MLC – I’m just trotting out the usual Paleo shite that comes up on these threads… trying to find the bad man that made us fat and absolve us, as individuals, from any responsibility from our own weight problems.

Bored – err, not really. I just thought I’d become as binary as you seem to have regarding these diet threads.

wwaswas

wwasawas, did you see that thread a while back? I thought Jamie was being silly.

missed that I think but I’ve been hearign odd stuff about Kellog for years.

I do wonder what medical ‘norm’ will be sneered at in a 150 years time and it’s proponents consigned to the ‘weirdo’ bin of history. My money’s on homeopaths 😉

emsz
    Free Member

I think trying to guess what people eat thousands of years ago and relating that to us now is pretty pointless. People weren’t fat 30 years ago let alone thousands…

there’s no need for special diets, eat normal portions of home prepared food, don’t snack, do some exersize. It’s really simple.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fair point Yeti.

Bored – err, not really. I just thought I’d become as binary as you seem to have regarding these diet threads.

I’m not binary at all, I just take issue with specific things people’ve said that I consider to be incorrect or misleading 🙂

I don’t think paeleo is bad at all, I’m sure it’s very healthy, but I do slightly disagree with the reasoning that it’s the only healthy way because it’s what we evolved to eat. And that all modern food is bad processed food.

there’s no need for special diets, eat normal portions of home prepared food, don’t snack, do some exersize. It’s really simple.

Depends on your and your aims. That’ll stop you being obese, for sure. But as we’ve said a million times, there are more reasons for weight loss than not being morbidly obese. Don’t say it’s simple unless you’ve been there.

People weren’t fat 30 years ago

Of course they were. Not quite as many, but they still were fat of course. My uncle is 70-odd, fat and has had three heart bypasses.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just take issue with specific things people’ve said that I consider to be incorrect or misleading

Cool, it has felt like you’ve been trolling a little… deliberately misinterpreting what has been said or taking a very polarised interpretation of a comment. Forgetting that though…

How’s your weight loss going at the moment? What current tactics are you using?

molgrips
    Free Member

How’s your weight loss going at the moment?

Rubbish. Too tired and preoccupied with family to dedicate much time to training, which is the issue. Stuck at about 86.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Clock is ticking at Big Ben Nevis… 😕

Bagstard
    Free Member

Why do people keep saying how simple it is to stay slim? The usual suspects tend to be young childless exercise addicts, what do they know about how easy it is for thirty something mother of three or someone with a gammy leg or…?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So Bagstard… how do the (slim) 30 something mothers that I know do it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Chance. Easy for some, not others. You know this Yeti.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 560 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!’ is closed to new replies.