Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Weight loss
  • sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

Hiya,
    You’ve probably heard this question before, but what is the best place to lose weight on a bike from? Wheels or forks?
    My wheels are ruddy heavy (29er Giant Anthem) and the forks are well over 2000g too (recon silver tk).
    I’m dealing with the rider weight loss ( fat arse)
    Just want to know if I should go and splurge on Hope wheels or Reba forks.
    Cheers me dears 🙂
    Caz xx

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rotating mass is a good start, so wheels.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Best place to lose weight? Rider.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I’m working on the lard arse lol, down to 12 and 1/2 stone now from 14 stone (I am 6ft 2 though)

Caz xx

butcher

Wheels will help with acceleration and hill climbing. Suppose it depends on what tyres you’re going to compliment them with too.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I was going to use the Racing Ralphs on any new wheels.

Caz xx

DrP

I managed to pull the chain on my ss tight enough to remove a complete link ths evening…..
    That’s at least 4g weight shaved off…

DrP

jambalaya
    Free Member

26″ wheels are lighter. IGMC.

Congrats on the weight loss by the way

Northwind

If you want to do it right, you need to get it in bits and weigh it. Otherwise you’ll probably end up pissing away money spending hundreds of quid on wheels when you could have probably achieved the same with different tubes or similiar. I’m assuming it’s fairly standard there- weight hides in weird places on OEM specs, but also sometimes things are unexpectedly light too.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I’ve stripped the front wheel down to weigh it and it’s 980g and the disc is 130g! It’s like a car brake disc, thick and chunky.
    I was going to weigh tubes and tyre but it wouldn’t fold down enough to fit on my cooking scales! ( used those scales coz I don’t ruddy cook lol)
    Going to strip the back wheel tomorrow and weigh all those gubbins as the cassette looks like it’s made out of cast iron lol.

Caz xxx

nikk
    Free Member

130 for the rotor is not too bad.

980 for the wheel is not great. I’d expect to get to about 750 front 850 rear without going mental, but it is still gonna set you back £500. I’d go with DT Swiss 240s hubs plus rims and spokes of your choosing from ActionSports.de

Shinamo XT cassette from Germany for a good priced, light cassette.

Tubeless is also a good place to look to for weight loss and a better feeling roll.

Tyres are easy to find crazy light ones, but make sure they are going to do the job you want them to, and be robust enough. No point having a super light tyre if it gets a 3″ gash in it 20 miles from home.

Unfortunately, a lot of the weight loss on a bike is from a little bit here, a little bit there. Which means ending up with a different bike to what you started with, unless you are buying the whole lot from new.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss’ is closed to new replies.