Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Weight Lifting Routines … which do you use?
  • 19ninety
    Free Member

Summers coming, time to buff up a bit! Weight Lifting is boring though.
    I have a bench/rack etc in the garage. I’d normally follow Strong Lifts 5×5, are there any other suggestions to take the yawn out of getting brawn?

Happy Friday BTW!

footflaps

I pay a coach to do mine. Changes every 6 weeks to keep challenging your body. Coming to the end of my current 6 week stint, but 3x a week I do:

Dynamic warm up: Stretches intermixed with 3x 5 reps over head squats with OL bar. Aim is to warm up lower back so I can sit in a full depth over head squat with weight through heals and a relaxed lower back.
    More warm up: Snatch Balance: 3×5 with 20kg, 30kg, 40kg – quite aggressive on lower back, hence need to be fully mobile

Main session:
    Snatches: normally 5×5 but can vary depending on what we’re focussing on that session
    Front Squats (full depth, paused), 4×5
    Wide grip pull ups 4×4
    Pistol Squats 4×5 each leg
    Romanian Dead lifts 4×8
    Wide stance (split jerk) overhead press behind neck 4×5
    Knee raises from Olympic rings 4×12

After that I can barely walk.

wiggles
    Free Member

Just started SL 5×5 after a good few years away from the gym.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    19ninety
    Free Member

Only 6 months off the weights here, first session is gonna hurt!

Albanach
    Free Member

I could scan the last 6/7 workouts from the persinal trainer at the gym and email you them if you want

sadexpunk

this is the one i use. well balanced routine but main difference is the ‘rest/pause’ element to it rather than usual 3X10. very knowledgeable guy put it together.

I hate routine – so just go to the gym and do a bit of everything. Probably not the best method by far, but I seem to get reasonable results.

Just got back into going after a 5 month lay-off with a ruptured bicep tendon. Strength has completely disappeared!

Currently motivating myself by looking at a picture of myself last July in Ibiza, then looking at my now flat chest and beer gut in the mirror 🙁

Managed to shift half a stone in the last fortnight though…

Me by davetheblade, on Flickr

mark88

Have a look at Wendler’s 5-3-1. I did the 5×5 before progressing onto a variation of the 5-3-1, it doesn’t need any fancy equipment so should suit your garage set up.
    It is a powerlifting specific programme so aimed towards increasing your squat, deadlift and bench weights but I put on a reasonable amount of size whilst following it.

sc-xc

I am doing Push/pull at the moment, really enjoying it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bog standard free weights after turbo sessions. Just after strength and zero bulk.

19ninety
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies folks, sorry for late reply, busy busy. Will have a look all the suggestions.

Not looking to get uber ripped really … cycling my primary focus (and I’m slowly dropping a few lbs), once I’ve burned off some fat riding it’d be really nice to be a bit trim rather than all bones :p Have to say I did really like the strength I had last year from SL5x5 … felt the the Hulk :mrgreen:

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

most routines work – some work better than others.

I prefer;
    fullbody, or upper/lower splits

reps, 3×10 or thereabouts for most lifts
    less reps for squat/dead/bench, more reps for curls/extensions/raises

every session, do some big lifts (squat/dead/bench/row/chins/overhead) and then the small ones. stick to a routine for 12 weeks, milk it until results dry up, then change.

stronglifts/starting strength/madcow 5×5 routines are all good
    lyle mcdonald’s 4 day upper/lower is good

I’m currently doing an olympic based routine, which is fun, every day is a fullbody day starting with (variations of) snatches + clean & jerk then squats & accessory lifts

footflaps
    Aim is to warm up lower back so I can sit in a full depth over head squat with weight through heals and a relaxed lower back

Minor point ff, but never never never is a relaxed lower back a good thing at the bottom of a full depth squat. Really, never. Back needs to be active and straight, all the way.

Weight also wants to be mid-foot with olympic lifts, weighting the heel is more a powerlifting stance thing where you have wide foot position and bar low on the back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Weight Lifting Routines … which do you use?’ is closed to new replies.