Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Weighing bikes – disappointment content
  • Kryton57

I dont thing ill bother doing that again.

Carbon “Race” Hardtail = 22.8lbs
    Anthem for Marathons = 26.6lbs

They both have cages and spare tubes on yet the “cheapest” fix is £500 -.75lb saving for some new wheels on the Anthem.

Both bikes have kcnc posts and stems, 1×11, mt zoom carbon bars, esi grips, Tundra saddles, xtr pedals and quaxar rotors with Racing Ralphs.

Im at the point where im shrugging my shoulders and thinking whats the point in spending any more, especially on the Anthem which is supposed to be 27lbs oem but clearly wasnt.

Internal *is disappoint* mild rant and over thinking headache over.

tomhoward

27lbs oem will have been without cages, tubes and pedals though, that’s got to be 1.5lbs easy. What cassette?

My carbon everything, cost no object, Pivot 429SL marathon bike is 27lbs on the nose. (With a 170mm dropper, Fox 34 forks and ‘sturdy’ tyres). Not sure a kg off will make it more comfy therefore faster…

Kryton57

Its an xt 42-11

My mistake – no spare tube on the anthem when i weighed it – both bikes are tubeless. I quite like those 429’s im suprised at the weight tbh.

theocb
    Free Member

My 150mm enduro 650b special comes in at a smidge under 26lbs, that’s with Pikes, a dropper and Hope wheels. (It’s an XL too) 😯

tomhoward

The crushing disappointment of using properly working scales I guess (@kryton, obvs)

mickmcd
    Free Member

Its an xt 42-11

Boat anchor

Kryton57

Oh yes, and they both have out front mounts on…

schmiken

My Spark 720 (with carbon tubular wheels, Dugast and XTR) came in at 24.8 lbs – was hoping for closer to 22. As long as it’s quick and reliable I don’t really care too much though!

Should say – measured using Park Tool digital scales.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So where’s the extra 4lbs on the anthem come from? Can’t all be frame and shock.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My old alu nomad with 36s weighs 25lb 😉
    Just make the number up if it will make you feel better.
    If not go ride and see if that works.

Kryton57

mrblobby – Member
    So where’s the extra 4lbs on the anthem come from? Can’t all be frame and shock.

The anthem’s wheels are 500g heavier, and the front rotor is 180 the HT 160mm. Anthem has a Reba 120mm the HT 100mm. Cranks on the Anthem are XT, on the HT are Raceface Turbine. Brakes on the Anthem are 2013 SLX, the HT is 2016 XT. Then as you say we have rocker links & shock to account for.

About £700 of investment, approx 700g lost so I suppose the exchange rate is right. Maybe i should get some Wide Lightenings to get it to 26 lol.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Its an xt 42-11
    Boat anchor

HG81 10spd cassette 360g
    XT 11spd 11-42 436g.
    +76g

Hardly a boat anchor.

TiRed

Sub 23lbs must feel light enough for racing, surely? Much lighter won’t make you faster. Senecod two days before the race will!

Kryton57

Although… my Anthem is less than the advertised weight – so without pedals etc – than the two bikes im looking at to replace it, an Orbea Oiz M30 or KTM scarp master. I should probably keep it 😀

legend
    Free Member

So just to confirm, you’re happy with the Anthem again? Seems to change on an hourly basis

Kryton57

Its what i have, albeit i thought it was lighter…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Im at the point where im shrugging my shoulders and thinking whats the point in spending any more, especially on the Anthem which is supposed to be 27lbs oem but clearly wasnt.

1. MFRs “underestimate” weights by 10-20%+
    2. As stated many times previously, the weight of your bikes makes **** all difference to your times.
    3. What happened to that new beginning of ignoring consumer culture that you’ve been undertaking for a few years now to “bring new meaning” (paraphrased) to your life?

Kryton57

Re no 3 – theres no consumerism here, just a weight reaction.

Speeder

You’d be better off throwing £500 at an alps trip – would do more for your speed for sure.

Trimix
    Free Member

The bloke with the lightest bike does not win the race.

Its easy to measure, so we all do it. But in the real world a kilo wont make a difference to us.

Perhaps we should weight the bikes with the rider on them – much better measurement and comparison 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Re no 3 – theres no consumerism here, just a weight reaction.

Seriously?

🙄

Kryton57

I havent bought / am not asking to buy anything?

legend
    Free Member

Thought you were getting lighter wheels?

rone

I have a 18.5lb rigid intense 29er. And I think it’s too light actually. For sprints my 25.5 Czar is usually faster as you can just keep it on the ground better.

It taught me a good lesson that chasing a lighter bike isn’t the absolute if the power can’t be put down as it’s too light. There is certainly flex in the frame too which doesn’t help.

Oh and I’m not light either.

Kryton57

Thought you were getting lighter wheels?

I said i could, not I am.

dawson

Just go for an extra dump before riding the ‘heavy’ bike and save the £500? 😉

BigJohn

Rule 1 in brochures and advertising: Tell the biggest lie you can get away with.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got two almost-identical racing recumbents in the shop, one with an alloy frame other carbon. The carbon one is 1kg heavier. But it’s so pretty 😀

tomhoward

quite like those 429’s im suprised at the weight tbh.

So was I, but I reckon an eye on weight saving rather than marathon comfort would get it to the ‘sub 23lbs’ Pivot claim without too much effort or (extra) expense.

170mm Reverb to (supplied) carbon post 400g off
    120mm Fox 34 to (optional swap) 100mm Fox 32, another 400g off
    Xc tyres rather than trail (ardent 2.4 front, ardent race 2.2 rear) ~2-400g off
    I assume sub 23 is without pedals so another 380g there.

So just playing with the options sheet and not adding heavy stuff gets it to 23.5lbs, but then i’d have flexier forks, a saddle permanently up my whoopsie, and punctures every 500 yards. And no pedals.

That extra comfort is what will be what gets me that extra lap, rather than 1600-2000g lopped off the weight. I picked up that 800g Framed sworks epic ht last weekend and it was daft light, not a chance would I want to be perched atop it for more than 2 hours, never mind 12 or 24.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I haven’t owned an MTB that’s weighed under 30lbs since (casts mind back) a Litespeed Obed hardtail I built up in 1997…

Inbred456
    Free Member

Your money would be better spent on a slimming world membership unless you’re already a racing snake! All the lads at work spend a fortune on carbon wheels and super light weight bits and bobs. Most of them would be better off riding more and getting fitter.

mick_r

How do you know the Giant was supposed to be 27lbs OEM? Giant never claim weights on their website (this caveat has been on there as many years as I can remember):-

“Weight- The most accurate way to determine any bike’s weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All Giant bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality.”

Our experience (right back to Mrs racing for them in the early days of carbon) is that Giants generally tend to be a bit conservative in the wheels and frame, often with rather generous rider weight limits – even for race XC and CX bikes.

tomhoward

How do you know the Giant was supposed to be 27lbs OEM?

Reviews often state weights

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Weighing bikes – disappointment content’ is closed to new replies.