• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by sgn23.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Weeride Child Seat Deluxe!
  • Frodo

How does one ride with this contraption!

My wife bought this last week so today off to the Man cave to assemble, test and commission, a trifling task I thought.

Seat installed, child installed, child helmet fitted – time for the off.

So first of all I could barely get on, nearly keeled over with said child. Rethink time, child off try again. Sill nearly keeled over getting on. So next time I stand on a seat to get going …unstable, legs akimbo is the best description I can muster.

So how does one ride it!

spacehopper

had mine on the full suss with a standard seatpost (dropper is down at its minimum height so the weeride wont mount on it..) for the first attempt..

found it very difficult to get started… and not much room for me to reach for the bars..

then swapped it to the hard tail.. which has a much shorter headtube.. longer top tube.. and most importantly.. i can fit it on the dropper post.. I raised the bars a touch too

Its much.. much easier to manage starts and stops with the dropper.. as i can sit on the seat with my feet on the floor, and the shorter headtube and raised bars give me enough room to manoeuvre around..

its still pretty ‘legs akimbo’ when riding though but just about manageable on the edges of the (flat) pedals..

im 5ft9 with shortish arms… which doesnt help!

Frodo

So what kind of terrain can you do with it. We have been on moderately rough tracks with a trailer.

Ta for the advice.

spacehopper

Ive only been on a couple of shortish canal towpath type rides with it so far.. she’s only just over a year old, so very much taking it easy at the moment..

paulwf

I found that it worked okay with a mid 90s MTB i had with a huge top tube – so I could still get between the weeride and the saddle. My son loved it, but for longer rides a trailer or rear mounted is better as you aren’t riding with knees out

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I used it one a Norco LT FS and it was fine. I always needed to lower the saddle a little more than its perfect height to allow me to swing a leg over the back.

It was okay for the short school run but legs out did make it uncomfortable for an extended ride. It was great whilst the boys were very young; I think they were in it from around 8 months.

Having used a trailer now (cheapish Halfords 2 child one) I ouldn’t go back to something bike mounted.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Old school push off required. Left foot on left pedal, hands on bars, push off with the tight foot and whence moving swing over right leg. Lowering the saddle helps, optimum pedal stroke not really required especially as you’ll be a bit bow legged anyroads.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The boy is still in his at 3. We love it because we can chat away.

scruff
    Free Member

I have one for sale, check my profile for last classifieds posted. 😉

tinybits
    Free Member

What yokaiser said – and the reverse when you’re coming to a stop. Plan ahead!

pictonroad

Got one on a Kona Minute, 5 yr old on the back, 18mth in the wee-ride. Key to comfort is the old school swept back bars, if you plan do do much riding with it I’d recommend swooping for some cruiser style bars whilst it’s in use. No idea how I’d ride it with standard bars…

mark90
    Free Member

Have had mine on an old school ’98 Orange O2 and more recently a Dialled PA. Running the seat a little lower than usual helps with the mount/dismount and bow legged pedalling. Find it much more stable and the weight centered than when using a rear child seat. Have taken jr 90 around Ashton Court and Leigh Woods trails no problem, I wouldn’t do that with the rear seat, it’s so unbalanced. Though he is 2 now, stuck to easier/flatter/smoother rides when he was younger (from 9 months). He loves the ‘bumps’ 😀

DT78
    Free Member

Using mine on an old gt hard tail. Bought pedal extenders to help with the knees out issue

Lummox

I’ve added another hole further forward on mine, moved the entire seat forward as far as possible and drilled a new mounting hole. Added a riv nut and jobs a good un. Still can’t avoid the bow leggedness but it’s definitely a lot better.

[IMG]http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/Lummox1329/Snapbucket/F43F6BEC-891F-499A-A7AD-37B3FE2CC012_zps7xtelo03.jpg[/IMG]

sgn23
    Free Member

She bought the wrong seat.
    What you wanted was an ibert Safe-t-seat which has all the benefits of being front mounted but without bashing your knees legs-akimbo, because it puts the child over the bars not the top tube. I’m selling one on ebay 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Weeride Child Seat Deluxe!’ is closed to new replies.