Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Weeride
  • Gotama
    Free Member

My daughter is coming up to ten months old now so starting to think about getting some form of bike carrier for when it warms up. I like the idea of the weeride but:

1) Has anyone fitted one to a bike with cables on the top tube? It’ll be going on a swift so the brake line runs down the top tube and I can’t work out whether it will rub/fit or not.

2) How do you play it with daytime sleeping. From what I’ve heard babies/young kids fall asleep pretty rapidly in the seats. Does that mean you only head out during nap time to avoid buggering up their sleeping or is it a case of if they’re having fun they generally stay awake?

Ta muchly

willyboy
    Free Member

Because it clamps either end onto your head-tube/ seat-tube it doesn’t really sit on the top tube. On my Voodoo hybrid there is a bit of clearance underneath.

Our little lad manages to stay awake generally as he seems to enjoy it. Must admit though he hasn’t been in it for more than 40 minutes at a time.

ps he has just grown out of ours so if you want a cheap ‘deluxe’ one send me an email (its only been used about 10 times).

igm

WeeRide is pretty good. Doesn’t affect cables much. I had to adjust ours (drill) to get it to fit my wife’s small frame, but I can’t imagine that’s a problem on a Swift.
    Our two both fell asleep to some extent – but it didn’t affect their sleeping patterns the way falling asleep on the car did.

tonyd

Clearance will be fine, as above it fits to headtube and seatpost. Avoid nap times if possible but don’t worry too much, WeeRides are pretty good for them falling asleep – the big thing on the front is comfy enough for them but you might end up with a head on your wrist 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok ta guys. Willyboy – interesting; will speak to wife to confirm and drop you a mail.

timmys

Just bought a weeride that I’m hoping to get my 10.5 month old going in soon. Any tips on getting him used to a helmet? I’ve popped it on him and he doesn’t seem that impressed, with him trying to pull if off!

tonyd

Put yours on too. Mine tell people off now if they see them on bikes without helmets. Can be a touch embarrassing!

jam-bo

Just bought a weeride that I’m hoping to get my 10.5 month old going in soon. Any tips on getting him used to a helmet? I’ve popped it on him and he doesn’t seem that impressed, with him trying to pull if off!

My boy was like that first off but fine once moving. I’d get him set up, get on the bike, plonk the helmet on him and deal with the complaining until I got moving when he promptly forgot about it.

Now he’ll quite often wear it round the house not wanting to take it off. I draw the line and going to bed with it on…

timmys

My boy was like that first off but fine once moving. I’d get him set up, get on the bike, plonk the helmet on him and deal with the complaining until I got moving when he promptly forgot about it.

Cool, thats what I figured – fingers crossed! So far it’s just been trying to adjust the straps which has proved hard enough!

NZCol

I tried a Weeride and an i-Bert. The iBert is way better and my daughter loves it (14months). Also means you can actually ride properly as it sits quite a bit more forward but doesn’t really impact on how the bikes rides. Fits in < 1 minute as well which means we can move it around on various bikes.
    For helmet, stick them in the seat first as that distracts them then say Wheeeeeeee a lot as you go down hills 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I have the Weeride deluxe and my son loves it. He’s now 2 but started at about 14 months. He’s never fallen asleep in it but he’s also never slept in a buggy, car seat or anywhere not a quiet, dark room!

Your knees are very slightly splayed when riding so long rides (an hour plus) do feel a little harder than otherwise but that could also be the weight of a child on your bike. Gentle off-roading is better with the child’s weight centered.

My son hated his hat the first time but now loves being on the bike so much, he’ll often go and get “Patrick’s hat, daddy’s hat” and stand near the front gate saying “bike thank yoooooo, yes please bike”

As above, I can’t imagine clearance being a problem. However, even though my bike’s got a 1 1/8″ steerer, because it’s carbon, I didn’t want to damage the bike. The front clamp only has a small area so I added a 5mm spacer under the stem and clamp the front around that.

One thing that worried my wife was that the child is hidden from motorist coming from behind who might have given you a wider birth. I bought a cheap hi-viz vest and wrote ‘child on board’ in nice big lettering.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Weeride’ is closed to new replies.