Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Weekly photo challenge. 9.5.11 – 15.5.11 – Steps & Follies
  • Two themes this week as I don’t think there’s enough follies around to do them on their own.

Ideally, you want someone to take a picture of you riding down, or up, some steps.
    If, like me, you do most of your riding on your own and don’t want to try some sort of extreme danger Panda, you’ll have to just take a picture of your bike next to the steps and we’ll have to take your word for it that you rode them.

Follies are a bit thin on the ground in some areas, so include any building that is not what it seems. Mobile phone masts disguised as trees, fake ruins, that sort of thing.

The rules;
    1. Take a photo of your bike with something that matches the theme in the background.
    2. Interpret the theme any way you like.
    3. Pictures should be taken between the dates in the topic title.
    4. If you post a picture you can either suggest a theme for next weeks challenge or vote for someone else’s suggestion. First suggestion to get two supporting votes becomes next weeks theme, probably

midlifecrashes

Lets kick off with a couple from the shy and retiring Wentworth estate.

Hoober Stand

Just 50 yards away is this little gem of a wood too.

Keppel’s Column

slugwash
    Free Member

Si does steps….

racefaceec90

gah i cannot enter (i presume follies refer to an artful architectural building of some description,am i right?) cannot think of any where i live?(probably are some though)and i cannot ride down/up steps (want to be honest) 😳 just bough my first camera in 18 years so any excuse to take photos 🙂 but you can bet your bottom dollar that i will enter the next one that you set (unless it’s anything like taking a photo whilst skydiving/flying/slapping a tiger e.t.c 😉 p.s apologies for waffling 🙂

DeeJay
    Free Member

@Raceface – riding along them – sort of 😀

.duncan
    Free Member

Do Stanage “steps” count? 🙂

GRAEMEJONES

Cheeky steps leading into Primrose Woods.
    How about a Stellar theme for next week? No, not the bland Euro-Fizz :lol:,things like Telescopes, observatories etc.I suppose something like The Rising Sun if you get stuck 😉

OCB
    Free Member

Cellular telephone ‘tree’. I was curious about fairly rubbish looking digital camo pattern on the dipole covers, but didn’t have the lens to resolve it well enough tonight. A heavily bearded man taking pictures of a bit of infrastructure was already beginning to draw attention, so I’ll need to pick my time carefully if I’m going back for another look with a big camera. 😉

I also found a few pretty little steps leading down to a footpath, but couldn’t get a decent picture of me on them, so it’ll have to be a “bike and some steps” picture – I don’t think it’s especially challenging to imagine them being ridden tho’.

‘Stellar’ sounds doable … (barring the aforementioned fizzy-drink perhaps (an’ no further pun intended there either)). Complete trivia now (but kinda related at a stretch): There was a cycling-friendly pub-turned-cafe between Asburton and Denbury called ‘The Rising Sun’ for a while … (just sayin’). 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

I’M CHEATING. I just wanted to post a photo of something very few people on here will have ridden. 101 steps down from the car park in East Portlemouth (Devon) down to the ferry landing, and it’s a bridleway, winner.

slugwash
    Free Member

Sambob, is someone still flagging all the doggy-do in the vicinty of the East Portlemouth steps?

View from about halfway down…

These steps would be great for downhill step racing with the handrail seperating two riders racing at a time in a series of heats. 🙂 Any locals up for that one evening?

OCB
    Free Member

Loike a local version of that Valparaiso Cerro Abajo Race malarkey – (and almost as time-consuming to get to as well).

Maybe the start of a series, I can think of several other sets of narrow, steeply lethal steps (mostly in Brixham it must be said).

Curious thing to designate this as a bridleway, unless it’s always been one – there’s no way I’d ask a horse to go down more than a couple of steps.

sambob
    Free Member

You local slugwash? I’ll be there from the 16th of july for 3 weeks. I know exactly who the flagger is, and yes she probably is still doing it. I’d be well up for stair racing though 🙂

CheesybeanZ

MrsbeanZ does steps

Only one suggestion for next week, stellar.
    Sounds a bit difficult as there’s not that many telescopes around, but we’re only two days away from a full moon, so how about making it moon and stars ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Weekly photo challenge. 9.5.11 – 15.5.11 – Steps & Follies’ is closed to new replies.