Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Weekend project: replace car exhaust.
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Man fail is increasing in this thread. Get some rust in your eyes – it’s one of things that still makes a man…er a man in 2017

jambourgie
    Free Member

Get it done man!

😀

It’s happening! Kind of.

Well, today is ‘reconnaissance day’. Just offered her up and everything looks right. Can’t actually do the job now as, it’s hard to see from the photo but the drive is on an incline. Jacking up the rear will be very very stupid. So will need to find a flat spot.

All nuts thoroughly lubed. Plan of attack decided upon. The brackets holding the front section to the cat will need to be cut – angle grinder at the ready.

My question today is: how best to make the sections fit? As you can see from the photo, the two sections will slip together with some paste and brackets, but as they are they’re a little tight. Embiggen the overlapping one? Squash the smaller one with a bracket? Don’t want to mess up the seal here. But want to make sure they fit together now before I get the old one off.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Also, looking at the supplied kit, there are three brackets. I’m assuming that one is to connect back-box to mid-box, and the other two are to connect mid-box to cat (two brackets on the one junction). On the existing exhaust there seems to be a sleeve here, held in place with two brackets with the rusted nuts and bolts. I’m hoping that my new exhaust slides over the cat pipe…

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ve never lived if you haven’t smashed your fingers to bits fitting an exhaust.. I once did an old Alfa GT Junior one that had been on the car from new, not that there was a lot left on it but what there was was a random snake of razor shards attached by perished rubber fixings..
    Mind the front inner engine mounts were just the same.

I loved that car 😕

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Done once. And never again. Best tool to apply is a visa card.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Weekend project: replace car exhaust.’ is closed to new replies.