Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Weekend in Hong Kong – any must see or do ideas?
  • Castrol
    Free Member

Hi,

Spending the weekend in HK soon to meet up with some friends. Want to make the most of it so would appreciate any tips on things to see and do. Any decent bike shops there by any chance?

Thanks,
    Matt.

csb

Flying Ball Bicycle Company on Cheung Sha Wan Rd. Legendary. Used to be dirt cheap – you could get a Cannondale M500 there for about 300 quid in 1997. Mad aquarium fish shops down the road too.

ben
    Free Member

I asked the very same question a few months ago.

Lots of great advice offered on that thread. Things we did and enjoyed in no particular order:

Star Ferry from Kowloon to HK island.
    Wan Chai & Lan Kwai Fong for crazy nights out.
    Luk Yu tea house for awesome dim sum (24 Stanley Street).
    Tram up to Victoria Peak.
    A wander through Kowloon at night.
    Walking around Soho area in the day, visiting a temple or two.
    Cable car up to Big Buddha.
    I think it was someone on here who recommended Sevva (Prince’s Building, 25th Floor, 10 Chater Road, Central), it’s a v. nice rooftop bar to watch the sun go down and the lights of HK & Kowloon come on.

Enjoy!

Castrol
    Free Member

csb,

Thanks, on the list.

ben,
    Thanks for the suggestions and link, will have a read of that tonight. Are you based in Asia?

Regards,
    Matt.

enfht
    Free Member

Titty bars in Wanchai 🙂

Raindog
    Free Member

Afternoon tea in the Penninsula Hotel is fun, silver service from waiters in white coats and cakes ! Wonderfully colonial, no shorts allowed though. Not the sort of thing one would usually do, but a great memory.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Floating Chinese Restaurant in Aberdeen Harbour. Try the outdoor street restaurants. May look dirty and full of locals but the food can be amazing. I used to eat in these all the time and never any problems.

One thing you must do above all others is go up to the top of The Peak. Best way is to walk – you will see so much more and it’s actually not as far as you’d think. There is a series of outdoor escalators (the mid level escalators) that take you pretty much half way up to the peak – very unusual and very interesting. Try and take a ride on the old trams too.

mike_p
    Free Member

What Raindog says, but I went for a G&T (or two…) in the top floor bar at sunset

ben
    Free Member

Hi Matt,

I am indeed based in Asia, I live in Singapore. Where are you based?

Sevva is no shorts and flip flops too if you decide to go.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I loved Big Wave Bay to get away from all that^

headfirst
    Free Member

I’d get a ferry out to Lamma and enjoy the beaches and seafood restaurants.

Castrol
    Free Member

Many thanks for the great ideas. Just suggested the bike shop to the SO and she didn’t say no….

Ben,
    I live in Bangkok at the moment, really enjoying it.

Regards,
    Matt.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hijack – Ben, last week of Nov.

Beer? 29th or 30th..?

ben
    Free Member

Matt – hope you’re managing to stay dry!

Captain, how the devil are you? Last week of Nov. sounds good to me, I can make 29th or 30th.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Excellent! Do you still have my email? Can’t track yours down at the moment, had to reset a few things on my tablet!

All well here. In the US, hence being up at this ungodly hour!

If it’s the 30th, I am flying back out of Changi T1 at about 2230, but can always sneak away from work nice and early…!

Paulaner Bräuhaus at Raffles Plaza, perhaps? Din Tai Fung for some Xiao Long Bao as well?

Anyway, back on track for the OP, many of my suggestions were on the original thread. I can recommend some interesting places in Macao if you fancy a little trip away….! 😈

ben
    Free Member

I should have it somewhere, I’ll have a look.

Sounds like we have a plan. Shall we aim for the 29th if you’re flying out on the 30th? Mmm Xiao Long Bao.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Marvel at the size of the shoppig centres.
    Take a trip out to the new territories / border / sai Kung
    Visit Stanley and shek o
    Take a trip to one of the islands – I prefer Cheung chau
    Racing at happy valley
    Depending what time you’re going – hong kong sevens
    Go for a meal at jimmys kitchen (hong kong side) and have a sattelite

stewartc
    Free Member

Ex-pat based in HK here.
    As per the earlier suggestions, make sure you try at least the Star Ferry an the tram, photos at the Peak are a must….
    For bike shops try also Bull Bikes in YMT and there are plenty of places you can hire a bike if you want to ride while here.
    If you want to ride please feel free to check out the MTB.HK group on Facebook, I am a member myself and we usually arrange rides over the weekend (usually on Lantau Island), sure we can arrange a bike to be available.

Most of all, enjoy the visit.

samuri
    Free Member

Floating Chinese Restaurant in Aberdeen Harbour. Try the outdoor street restaurants. May look dirty and full of locals but the food can be amazing. I used to eat in these all the time and never any problems.

Agreed, I got taken there many years ago on a flying visit. Fantastic food. It was a bit disconcerting having the food killed at our table but at least we knew it was fresh.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Weekend in Hong Kong – any must see or do ideas?’ is closed to new replies.