Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Weekend in Dumfries area-riding options?
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Going to Scotland this weekend and riding kirroughtree Saturday but where do we ride Sunday?
    Choice is either Dalbeattie or Mabie.
    Never been to Mabie and haven’t been to Dalbeattie for 5-6 years so it may be very different. (Been to Ae more recently and not that fussed about it so not going there)
    Which would you chose and why?
    Cheers
    Steve

bungalistic
    Free Member

I personally prefer Mabie just because of all other “not really secret” trails that are there, though the red loop itself is still quite fun.

Haven’t been to Dalbeattie for a while but I remember quite liking some of the sections, quite a it of fireroad if I remember rightly.

How about Drumlanrigg, it’s a bit natural feeling for the most part and if you have the energy afterwards you could always do Mabie too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

You can do both Dalbeattie and Mabie in a day, with a long lunch (café just next to the Dalbeattie carpark, or Mabie House Hotel) in between 🙂

That’d be my choice.

vmgscot

Drumlanrig…or something in the Lowthers if you fancy more natural loop – Durisdeer Loop or Mennock Bridge/Wanlockhead loop

Gary_M
    Free Member

As you’ll be passing Dalbeattie and Mabie on the to the M74 i would do one of them Personally I like Dalbeattie but then again I’m biased as I stay just 40 seconds ride from there most weekends.

Trekster

The easiest one to get to and back onto the 74 is Mabie, turn off the bypas where you see the massive cranes being used to build our new hospital. Both trails are fun in different ways. Dalbeattie rewards a bit of commitment and effort, Mabie is good old fashioned uphill followed by downhill if that is your preference.
    Living within biking distance of Ae & Mabie with D’bettie being a 1/2hr drive away.
    I recently cycled through Mabie, over a big hill to Dalbeattie on my new “gravel bike” 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Weekend in Dumfries area-riding options?’ is closed to new replies.