Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weekend in Bridlington
  • jeffl

So I have the weekend away in Bridlington with the family. Wife and kids aged 6,8 & 13 plus the parents/grandparents. Other than the seaside and general mooching around any specific recommendations?

everyone
    Free Member

Ex-local here! Sewerby hall could be worth a visit, it’s perfectly walkable up along the cliffs.

I’d say that the South Beach is more sandy (and busier) but I prefer the North beach.

Apart from that I can’t really think of anything outstanding, sorry!

Edit: If you like birds (puffins in particular) then Bempton cliffs aren’t too far away.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s an easy train ride to hull…

johndoh
    Free Member

Drive to Filey and spend some time rockpooling along the base of the Brigg (check tides though).

Or Scarborough for the mock battles at Peasholme Park (no idea if they are on this weekend but with it being a bank holiday they may be)?

skulldigger
    Free Member

The leisure world near the beach has a good swimming pool (built only last year) and is reasonably priced. Just make sure you go online to book your time slot, this prevents overcrowding. There is also a gym hall and saunas etc too.

If you like sea birds head to Bempton 🙂

jeffl

Thanks STW. Mum/Gran want so see the puffins so Bempton is on the cards. Any suggestions on decent chippies?

wrightyson
    Free Member

You’ve gotta go to the rock factory. We all loved it. Once rescued a puffin at bempton and took it to the rspb. Flamborough lighthouse is also well worth a visit. Best tell the Mrs to go up first whilst you watch the littlest one battle the last few steps up. Love that coastline, Filey holds a special place in the wrightysons family hearts. Be there camping (Flamborough) four weeks today, hope it bloody warms up.

everyone
    Free Member

Sewerby fisheries is a good bet, if you wanted to stay in town then Audrey’s used to be pretty good although that was a few years ago now so might have changed.

metcalt

As another ex-local I’d echo everyone’s suggestions. You can walk up the North Beach to Sewerby steps which come out next to the zoo and near the hall (tide dependent). The landtrain can take you back to town if tired of walking.

I’d add:

Danes Dyke is a nice place for a walk although its only a small wood, if you’ve seen Dad’s Army you might spot some of the filming locations.

Flamborough Headland is also a good place for a walk if the weather is clear, you can see right up to Robin Hoods bay on a good day. There’s some nice bays with loads of rockpools at North Landing and Thornwick Bay, spent many an hour scrambling around there as I grew up down the road. Just watch the tides though, they have a habit of quickly cutting off routes back despite the place you’re stood on being dry. There’s a few pieces of old ships and a couple of good caves to explore.

If it’s raining there’s an OK cinema in the arcades and more 2p slider machines than you can shake a stick at.

solidrooster
    Free Member

If it’s a chippy tea you’re after you won’t go wrong at Jack’s Chip Shop. It’s on hilderthorpe road near town centre. Sit down or takeaway. Make sure you try the chip spice as well.

solidrooster
    Free Member

Oh and don’t trip over the manhole that installed in the shop doorway.

shermer75
    Free Member

You might well be

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weekend in Bridlington’ is closed to new replies.