Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Weekday night rides South Wilts?
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

As above, I'd like to join some people sometimes who go out night riding in the area. Have looked at clubs, can't make the day for Newforce, SPAM don't have any rides listed, would consider Dorset Rough Riders – bit of a trek for me though.

Anyone know of other folk I could join, clubs or informal groups?

(Mr Mod please move to other forum if poss, ta)

beaker

When you say south wilts where are you? I'm 10 miles south of warminster.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Hi Anna

Red planet bikes of Swindon used to do night rides every tuesday.
    Bit of a trog I know

http://www.redplanetmountainbikes.co.uk/intro.html

chipps

Thread hijack – Alfred's Tower ride, midday on Boxing Day. Might see some of you there then. 🙂

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks SD, Swindon is a bit far for me… (3 bike shops in Salisbury, no rides from any of them. Hmmm. *has thought*)
    Beaker, Salisbury – guess you're near Shaftesbury then?
    Chipps, Alfred's Tower looks interesting, would like to do a ride round there, but prob can't make BD.

hh45
    Free Member

Alfred's Tower, Boxing Day, thats 2 miles from me – what is planned? Are we all invited?

chipps

Alfred's Tower (and White Sheet Hill on a dry day) are a fun afternoon out, Anna.

The Boxing Day ride has been going for about 15 years, there's usually anywhere from two to a dozen riders, some mince pies and a fair amount of slow-paced slithering around in the woods before we all head back home for chocolate coated brazils, port and James Bond.

beaker

Anna, Yes near Shaftsbury. I've only just moved here and have yet to find my OS maps.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just out of interest, why is the Boxing Day ride in the south? Isn't that a royal pain in the arse to get to? Not for me btw, it's about 10 miles from my house 🙂 If I can sucessfully avoid christmas I'll be there. The miserable bastard "no presents" email is shortly to be dispatched…

chipps

It's not the only Boxing Day ride, but this particular one has been going a while.

I go along because I'm at my Mum's for Christmas. You didn't think I was actually from Yorkshire, did you? I'm a Somerset boy.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I like the look of White Sheet Hill Chipps, love all the ancient history connections in the area. Could be a good opportunity for me to practice my route planning and compass skills!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(3 bike shops in Salisbury, no rides from any of them. Hmmm. *has thought

Only one of them is any good, mind you…..! Why not ask the chaps at the only good one if you can put a note up on their message board by the door?

beaker

There must be more than a couple of people that ride around these parts…. I'd certainly be keen on getting out in an evening.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I'm keen too. Lights haven't arrived yet though. Dependant on when troutie sends me my lights that i have on order. Looking for night rides around the end of the month hopefully.

Anna-B
    Free Member

CFH – that was the thought I had. It's not clear to me though which one has your allegiance 😉

Beaker – I tend to agree with you, where are they all! Lovely countryside to ride in round here and let's find some more people to force into going on night rides.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Where are you based MM?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Andover. But prepared to drive between 20 to 30 miles. Too scared to ride on my in the dark. 😳
    Edit; Wednesday and Thursdays are not good for me.

beaker

I moved from Andover a couple of months ago Mulletus… Its a random question I know but what bike do you ride? I did see one or two nice ones occasionally

ziggy
    Free Member

Well count me in for the Boxing Day ride, I was up white sheet hill only this morning, it was fookin' howling up there and had all the grip of ice!

I'll hopefully be sorting out night rides from the Warminster area soon, I'll update this thread when I have confirmed details.

St.Alfred's Tower is just on the left behind that clump of trees 🙂

Anna-B
    Free Member

Me too…. Any minute now someone will be along with that scary night ride picture and we'll all be set back a few months. How far you prepared to drive beaker?

Edit in response to MM edit, Tues and Fri good for me, can't do Mon/Weds/Thurs.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I ride a Cube AMS Pro. Where are you based now?

ziggy
    Free Member

I'll take a picture of the same place in the dark tonight 😯

captain_bastard
    Free Member

count me in for Alfreds Tower ish night rides. went for a two hour solo night ride tuesday, first for a lonnng time, was fun, but bit spooky

Chipps – was it you that drove a sooty van?

chipps

Yes, I used to have a fine red Sooty van.
    Not ridden Alfred's Tower in the dark for years. Must take my lights down for Christmas.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Chipps, thought that was you! boxing day ride sounds like fun

Ziggy – let me know about the night rides

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

" I'm a Somerset boy."

I did not know that!

I usually have familial duties, so I'll be there in spirit. Hope to see you on the Q's in Dec anyway (oldfart's ride)

Anna-B
    Free Member

OK Ziggy look forward to an update, in the meantime I will try and organise/advertise night rides from a bike shop in Salisbury.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anna, if I'd known I would have mentioned it when I was in there earlier today!

Oh, and by the way, just don't ask about the difference between petrol and diesel, seriously….! 😈

hh45
    Free Member

What time on Boxing Day?

cinnamon_girl

Ooooohhhhhhhhhh! Chipps – is the Boxing Day ride suitable for a wuss? If I am not working, I could be tempted cos haven't ridden this area before 🙂

Rich – get that "no presents" e-mail sent! Opting out of Xmas is so liberating, so much so that I'm doing it again this year 8)

beaker

MM i'm living just south of Warminster. I only asked what you rode as I've seen a Cotic and a few other nice bike dotted about.

Anna, It depends really but mostly it depends on work and other commitments. I grew up in Warminster and theres a few rides around there that are ok.

chipps

Anna, it's a bike ride on Boxing Day – how fast do you honestly think we're going to go after all that Christmas food the day before? It'll be a hipflasks and mince pies ride. The tracks at Alfred's Tower are good for sociable pootling at any time of year.

Does anyone know if there's still a New Year's Day 'cross race there? I raced it about ten years ago – and came second last if I recall…

Anna-B
    Free Member

Anna, it's a bike ride on Boxing Day – how fast do you honestly think we're going to go after all that Christmas food the day before?

There's your answer cinammon girl!

(Chipps it's no use insisting, I won't be in the area on boxing day!)

tree-magnet
    Free Member

beaker – Member
    Anna, Yes near Shaftsbury. I've only just moved here and have yet to find my OS maps

I'm just south of Shaftesbury in Sturminster Newton. Wed night night rides from Torico at 1800. Loads of riding round you as well, give me a shout if you're interested.

Conespanner

Beaker – the Cotic seen in andover is mine.

MM – Shame you can't make Thursdays as there are a few of us go out in the dark. I've been riding Andover trails in the dak for five years, spooky!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Conespanner, out of interest, what time do you go out on Thusrday? I'm at college that day but usually get home around 7.15-7.30ish. Do you ride locally at the weekends too. Been looking for local riders as i'm not very good at motivating myself for local rides on my own, prefer company.

Conespanner

Hi MM,

Sorry we go out about 6pm, I have to be home to say goodnight to my little one and one person that comes out lives near Southampton so he likes to get home.

Tonight it was going out in the daylight coming back in the day, I can do an alternative day occasionally once you got your new lights. I'll contact your e-mail and arrange a w/end meet. Be warned I'm old and slow.

Gilles

night ride on Friday evening, near Warminster= great idea.please add me to the list.
    Cheers.
    Gilles, not a somerset boy.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Conespanner – Weekend meet sounds good. I'm oldish and enjoy slow. 😉
    Gilles, what's this Friday evening ride you speak of? Have I missed a reply?
    Boxing day ride sound fun. Would love to come along to that one providing Mrs MM allows me to put off plans for an extra day.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

MM – you'll be lucky!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Weekday night rides South Wilts?’ is closed to new replies.