Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Week off work with the family – ideas please!
  • clubber
    Free Member

My wife and I have a week off work early in the school holidays. We have a 5 year old and a 1 year old.

We haven’t organised anything to do yet… We don’t really want to just spend a week at home doing nothing and not feeling like we’ve had a break, not to mention that the kids will start going nuts so I’m looking for inspiration on things to do together.

We had initially planned to go camping for a couple of nights not too far away (we’re in Bristol so looking at Devon) but my daughter’s not been sleeping well recently and I’m not sure I fancy being stuck on a campsite with a screaming kid… Maybe something for next year.

I had considered just doing a load of day trips (Lego Land as an example) but with the kids at 1 and 5, there’s a huge difference between what they’ll actually enjoy and get some enjoyment from and it may well work out that it costs almost as much as the option below.

So, another option is a last minute holiday but that’s looking pretty expensive unsuprisingly though we could do France for about £1k (£500 ferry with car, £500 eurocamp type thing in mobile home)

Have I missed anything? Any great ideas out there…?

Thanks all!

joeyj
    Free Member

I will probably get lots of abuse but Centre Parcs is great with the kids as there is loads for them to do. You don’t have to spend too much either take food with you couple of nights out in the restaurants and the pool normally keeps my two happy (6 & 20 months)

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

week in Cornwall Mousehole get a cottage and enjoy the good life

bearnecessities

Mousehole get a cottage and enjoy the good life

..and some stargazy pie?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

..and some stargazy pie?

oh yes washed down with a local cider !

got to say Mousehole is by far one of the most amazing places and the kids will love it…

joolsburger
    Free Member

Go to the Gower/Pembrokeshire in a static caravan and chill out on the beach, eat well, have a drink and spend time with your kids.

the-muffin-man

Go around the corner to Tenby – much quieter than Cornwall and beaches are just as nice.

Manorbier is my favourite beach – lovely bay, good waves, huuuge rockpool area for kids to explore, castle in the background.

Or Barafundle Bay – the (easy) walk over to it keeps numbers down to a bearable level.

There’s loads to do in the Tenby area.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, no, no! Pembrokeshire is horrid. Don’t go there.

😉

lambchop
    Free Member

A couple of Beach days, a day at home maybe take 5 year old to cinema, or local swimming pool or just get a paddling pool in the garden, a couple of locallish day trps and that’s your week sorted. Get up early and hoof it down to north Devon for a day on the beach and fish n chips for tea! Or head inland, Wookie Hole, Lacock Abbey, loads of places within an hour of Bristol. Just take it day by day.

jekkyl

Get abroad, the weather just cannot be guaranteed in the this country. Spain, portugal or southern france, try to get last minute with all inclusive to save more expense, so all you have to focus on is having a good time.

fasthaggis

If there are any decent cottages left ,I would go with Joolsburgers Gower plan.

Have I missed anything?

You could have started this thread 6 months ago.

There is no such thing as too much planning 😀

Ha ha ha ..stealth edit 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There is no such thing as too much planing

If you are looking for a flat surface, or a nice smooth riding powerboat then yes, I would agree.

avdave2

At least one argument should be possible, especially if you can do something that involves navigation.

clubber
    Free Member

🙂

thanks all.

I think we’re probably going to go for a trip to Brittany at the moment – a bit more expensive (but not really that much) but in theory, better weather, kids clubs and for me nice roads to cycle on…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Week off work with the family – ideas please!’ is closed to new replies.