• This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by skolt.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Week in Moab Utah area – where to go please
  • willt
    Free Member

Hi

I have a week in Utah flyinging into Salt Lake City and out of vegas I would love to hear on recommendations on where to go and stay etc. The trip is at the end of April. Thanks

navajo77
    Free Member

Nice , you could go and post me the tickets ….

DavidB
    Free Member

Zion National park and hike up to Hidden Canyon

willt
    Free Member

We are taking our own bikes and hiring a car so mountain biking each day and beer each evening so can’t see us hiking sadly.

crazy-legs

We are taking our own bikes and hiring a car so mountain biking each day and beer each evening so can’t see us hiking sadly.

Canyonlands, Bryce, Arches and/or Zion National Parks at sunset. That’s four evenings right there which are better than sitting in a bar drinking beer…

Porcupine Rim and Slickrock are probably the two most iconic trails. Porc Rim works best if you can get someone to drive you up to the trailhead and then you can follow the whole route back into the outskirts of town. Without that initial lift it’s a long old trek up to the trailhead!

willt
    Free Member

Thanks is Fuita worth a trip as well?

crazy-legs

I only did one ride in Fruita, it’s a bit of a trek out from Moab and we did it as we were driving to Colorado rather than as a specific trip out from Moab.

Fairly sure that I only scratched the surface though but I think if you’re driving big distances you’re probably missing loads of stuff just for sitting in a car.

You can do rafting, horseriding and 4×4 trips from Moab too.

Dave
    Free Member

For a weeks riding stick to Moab

AlasdairMc

I’m watching this with interest as I’ll be out there late September. I looked at riding the Kokopelli Trail but the logistics look a bit tough unless I can sort a water drop somehow.

honeybadgerx

We were out there in October as part of a longer trip, just had the three days with bikes, did slickrock, whole enchilada and Moab brands. Absolutely amazing place, I’d recommend riding as much of the whole enchilada as you can, though in April the upper sections may be snow bound. People in all the bike shops are super friendly, so to an extent I wouldn’t worry about planning too much, just pop in an see what they recommend.

We stayed in kokopelli lodges, some cool little self catering hut things that looked like they were made by IKEA, can recommend them if you want to go self catering.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are the lifts in park city open? Great one to do on the way and escape the desert. There was a moab feature in the mag best of stuff recently but you have to do whole enchilada, slick rock is the oldest not the best and bar m is a good warm up. Captain ahab is meant to be great and portal very interesting. It’s a days drive down to zion but on the way to Vegas, download trail forks too.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I’m watching this with interest as I’ll be out there late September. I looked at riding the Kokopelli Trail but the logistics look a bit tough unless I can sort a water drop somehow.

Warning! The vast majority of the Kokopelli trail is pretty featureless dirt road, though the scenery is pretty special 😉

markgraylish
    Free Member

Are the lifts in park city open?

I imagine they will be, but the trails will be under deep deep powder in April 😉

stever
    Free Member

You’ll have no bother at all filling a week without travelling. Amasa Back, Hurrah Pass, Jackson Hole, Poison Spider, Hidden Valley, Portal Trail, blah blah. Porcupine is a desert island ride.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with Fruita if you’ve only got one week to ride. Yes, it’s definitely worth going to if you have been to Moab before and/or you had more time and/or you happened to be passing through.
    Having said that, I’d recommend the Ribbon trail in nearby Grand Junction over anything in Fruita (unless you’re after very mellow riding cos the Ribbon isn’t that!)

BearBack
    Free Member

Sedona, superb riding, no snow likely.. You can add in the touristy things enroute from Vegas. Hoover dam, grand canyon. Flagstaff is a big college town and I hear it’s worth a look. But, not ideal out of salt Lake. Better from Vegas or Pheonix.
    St George is next on my list enroute to Moab as cheap flights into Vegas are hard to ignore.

konagirl
    Free Member

I agree with not trying to fit too much in. There is way too much to see and experience around UT / AZ. With only a week and recovering from jet lag, you’ll spend a day driving from SLC to Moab and then 1-2 days minimum to Las Vegas. Add stops at Zion / Bryce or the very long way round via Monument Valley and Grand Canyon (south rim only in April) and a day visiting Arches or Canyonlands and time will fly. Also don’t dismiss all the other ways to enjoy the place (rafting, canoeing, boating, overnight hiking, slot canyons).

footflaps

I found Fruita bit of a disappointment; I’d just stick to Moab for riding. Fair old drive from SLC as you’re the wrong end of the state.

rexated
    Free Member

Whole Enchilada is a must do in my opinion, get the shuttle from Poison Spider bike shop.

And, Captain Ahab. Captain Ahab, and if you can squeeze it in, Captain Ahab.

Slickrock trail is not all it is cracked up to be, although it is iconic in MTB lore so ought to be done.

I’ve stayed at the Bighorn Lodge – fairly cheap and basic but does the job.

Eclectica cafe was pretty good, if you want to sample the hippy Moab scene.

Take lots of water on your rides – it’s dry out there….

willt
    Free Member

Thanks we were hoping to do but of a road trip with 2/3 days in Moab then other spots going toward Vegas. Thanks so far keep it coming.

footflaps

Moab has loads of accommodation options, we just rocked up and found a Motel with space (there were lots). Loads of places to eat out as well. Most trail heads are a short drive each morning.

Don’t wake up at 3am, trip over your riding buddies kit bag and split you head in two on the corner of the bathroom wall in the motel room. My only hospital visit in 6 weeks of MTB riding in the US…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The Whole Enchilada – or as much as is open in April – if doing the whole lot, I’d miss out Jimmy Keen Flats – Last time we rode it at my behest, and there was nearly a mutiny later in the day.
    Hymasa to Captain Ahab then Hymasa to Rockstacker
    The Magnificent Seven – and you’ll want to revisit the trail network at the start of the Mag 7 to have fun exploring. Go easy on the Portal.
    I’ve also enjoyed Sovereign Singletrack, but some of the more recent singletrack mix’n’match networks are great, although maybe not so technical.

WRT Fruita, a day at Kokopelli Trailhead is a good warm up. If you clean Moore Fun, I’ll buy you a pint.

The Ribbon at GJ is superlative. At the bottom of the gully, attack the killer hike-a-bike climb up to the top of Lunch Loops, then do some combo that includes Eagle’s Wing, Tail and Holy Cross to finish. We rode this stuff until one of the group puked themselves empty.

chipps

Dave and stever have it right. I’d go straight to Moab, take a 12 pack of beer into a bike shop and get a big list of where to ride and stay for the whole time. I’d ride in Moab every day and then drive to Vegas in one go. But I’m biased.

Or you can do Moab, day or so in Fruita, then down to St George and Hurricane, then Vegas. Or go south to to Flagstaff and rode there and Sedona. I’d still stick to Moab though. Everywhere else will be nearly as good as Moab. 🙂

markgraylish
    Free Member

Moab has loads of accommodation options, we just rocked up and found a Motel with space (there were lots). Loads of places to eat out as well

OP: check the dates you will be in Moab as there’s a huuuuuggggeee Jeep/4×4 jamboree around April and accommodation is likely scarce or expensive and the pubs/restaurants will be VERY busy

molgrips
    Free Member

Take the biggest bike you have, and also flats.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol. Molgrips what are the flats for? Was very happy on my 160/140 full sus

On driving its not far. From zion/virgin down to Vegas, just dull

molgrips
    Free Member

I got sent on a ride around Jackson Hole, and on the way down it was a little bit.. precarious, with a long drop. Flats would’ve helped the confidence issues.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah, one of those things swap to flats before a holiday and ride crap. Just learn how to unclip 😉
    [video]http://vimeo.com/150631581[/video]
    Upper Porcupine on the whole enchilada riding some small drops towards a cliff edge

nedrapier

Find a rafting trip down Westwater Canyon (Nat Geo’s “Best 1 day rafting rip in the West (of US)”. Get that sorted when you arrive, they might not run every day at that time of year.

rone

Moab and area is terrific. A real alternative to wet and damp riding.

We did a lot of the easy bits – Dead Horse Point (Thelma & Louise) and Bar M, Circle O (Just slickrock!).

Hired Turner Sultans from Chilli Pepper Bikes. Cheap and Accommodating.

Incredible old school diner

We had to go in the Summer due to Gf’s Teaching job. Was hot, so rode from 6pm or 7am.

rone

I got sent on a ride around Jackson Hole, and on the way down it was a little bit.. precarious, with a long drop. Flats would’ve helped the confidence issues.

Any recommendations for routes and accommodation in Jackson Hole?

Any other thoughts are the area – we are putting together a trip from Vegas to Glacier N.P and have been told Jackson Hole is great.

ampthill

Not much to add. I’d probably want more than 3 days in Moab. I loved the slick rock trail. It might take you a while to get use to breathing at alttitude so perhaps more modest rides for the early days

PS this was a while back. Did it all on a rigid bike….

Dave
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8IaPmx8m0[/video]

Fill yer boots…

skolt
    Free Member

Just subscribe to this guy on Youtube – best riding around Moab I’ve seen.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Week in Moab Utah area – where to go please’ is closed to new replies.