• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Week in downtown NYC – how to spend evenings ?
  • allfankledup

Am off to New York on Sunday morning, and am there until Friday night with work.

I’ve been there before a few times, but always for department meetings where folk fly in from all over the place. This time I am there to train some staff during the day, but have evenings to myself.

Am staying down near Ground Zero and interested in ideas about places to visit and eat (given I am working in the day)

I want to walk the highline again, am going to see a Yankees game (rangers tix start at $350 as they are in the eastern conf finals for the Stanley cup) and a trip out to Long Island on Memorial Day.

Give me some ideas folks…ta muchly

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John’s Pizza, Times Square – http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

Virgil’s Ribs – http://www.virgilsbbq.com/

Top of the Rock.

eskay

Been a while but Greenwich Village had a nice vibe about it in the evening and some good places to eat.

Moses

Use Craigslist to find a temporary friend to show you around.

allfankledup

Done top of the rock a couple of times – but in daylight. It has cracking views, an evening trip could be good. Have avoided the empire stae building so far, more cost and bigger queues.

Loving the Craigslist idea, but saving my cash for coke and hookers at the Isle of Man classic tt in August.

Moses

YOu’ve got a dirty mind.
    Craigslist also has a friends only section – so no payments needed. In fact you could probably charge for your company if you’re well-spoken and presentable.

BillMC

Bleecker St: drink in the Blind Tiger, eat in Fish (opposite). Both excellent. Buy stuff from Dave’s, Avenue of the Americas (check it online). Walk the Williamsburg bridge, check the Brooklyn brewery, the recycled clothes shop, the hipster cafes, the single speeders. That skyline walk/park thing is very pleasant. Check out if Jeffrey Lewis is playing in town (usually v cheap but good). West 4th is where Dylan used to live and where the Freewheeling cover was photographed.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Go to Williamsburg in Brooklyn, great atmosphere and loads of great places to eat and drink.

MrNice
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Down around Ground Zero is pretty dead (by NYC standards) in the evenings. Obvious stuff for downtown like a stroll around and explore China Town / Little Italy / SoHo / Greenwich Village / Meat Packing. Some great NY bars in Meat Packing these days. Up 5th Avenue to Central Park. Trip to the top of either the Rockerfeller (my favourite) or NY State. Definitely worth seeing whats on for the Memorial Day weekend in the city and Long Island/Coney Island.

peterfile
    Free Member

Dead Rabbit

Pigface
    Free Member

Head out to Rockaway, it is great.

jkomo

‘Le Bain’ club night in the bar at the top of the Standard hotel, roof top bar 360degree views of the city.
    It’s a gay night, so quite fun, went with wife and sister and no one seemed to mind. Probably wouldn’t get in the communal bath though.
    Edit- Wednesday night I think

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Week in downtown NYC – how to spend evenings ?’ is closed to new replies.