Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Wedding/Interview Gladrags.
  • tails
    Free Member

So I have one of each coming up and need to be a suit hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Was thinking of buying a black suit with perhaps pink shirt and patterned pink tie for the wedding and then the same suit with perhaps a white shirt and black patterned tie for interview

By pattern I mean the tie is one colour and the pattern only apparent face to face.

tails
    Free Member

oh and m and s make decent suits? I'm not after saville row so you need not waste your time.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds good to me but I would go charcoal grey.

And tan shoes for the wedding, black for the interview.

hels
    Free Member

Laughing at the idea of turning up to an interview in a Wedding Dress. Would it help or hurt one's chances ? You could say that you want the job so much you had to pop out of your own wedding for the interview, showing dedication and er teamwork, if not good planning.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I would spend lots on the tie/shoes and I would have a white shirt to stage the pink tie.

Isn't pink a bit two/four years ago though? How about lime/acid green?

tails
    Free Member

charcoal grey

😈 see there is a little bird in my head saying similar as all the wedding photos I have seen people wear grey, just black seems so much more universal.

midlifecrashes

Sounds like a good plan except for the black tie. Waiter's uniform and funerals only, IMO.

tails
    Free Member

LOL @ hels not my wedding!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Charcoal is almost black. And black feels too funereal IMO.

TooTall
    Free Member

Black isn't a good idea – darker grey or darker blue would be more suitable.

M&S are fine for joe average size/build and won't break the bank. Designer names are just that – names. Ensure you take a shirt & decent shoes along when trying on the suit – and someone else to look objectively at you – so many people get them too tight and usually not enough room across the shoulders.

tails
    Free Member

Black isn't a good idea – darker grey or darker blue would be more suitable.

But is this a fashion thing as when i think suit I think black. I have never been to a wedding (first of my mates) and have never worn a suit to interview so advice greatly received.

Are there magazines for this kind of stuff, as I remember years ago this girl I knew had a magazine of haircuts which bizarre as it seems is actually not a bad idea.

ebygomm
    Free Member

At the weddings I've been to, the only people in black suits have been the male staff.

Philby

Dark grey, charcoal or dark blue suits will last for years – a bit like the little black dress for women, never out of fashion and can be used in different situations with the appropriate accessory. Avoid black or anything with pin/chalk stripes. And agree on the shoes – get a really good pair of leather sole shoes which again will last for ages.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I just wear the same sort of suit and shoes I'd wear to work – not aware anyone really cares! Dark blue or darkish grey suit/ black shoes.

tails
    Free Member

At the weddings I've been to, the only people in black suits have been the male staff.

Okay grey it is, I have a mental image of the grey I want. Also double breast single breast blah blah??

TooTall
    Free Member

Black is a fashion thing and so, for a suit, should be avoided if you want to wear the suit for more than one event.

Single breasted – double breasted is for old tubby men to get around the girth. Two or three buttons – no more. NO TURNUPS on the trousers. No more than a single pleat on the front of the trousers. Make sure the trousers are long enough but not too long. Cheap shoes will make a cheap suit look even cheaper.

Nothing wrong with a classic single-breasted suit – a well-fitting suit of any price will look better than anything that doesn't fit, regardless of price. Oh – cotton shirt with no pocket on it, proper collar, long sleeves and a tie that doesn't look like a footballer tied it for you.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Also double breast single breast blah blah??

Single every time at the moment. Three buttons isn't it this year?

And crotchless leather chaps.

tron
    Free Member

Single breasted – double breasted is for old tubby men to get around the girth.

Eh? Eh? EH?

Double breasted makes you look bigger, and should only be worn if you're a bit of a racing snake. And you're a lawyer in a 1980s/90s film.

Single breasted jacket, 2 or 3 button depends on fit – In my view, I look better in a 2 button. 3 Button to me is for skinny blokes with two button collars. Who arrive by moped.

As others have said, Navy or Charcoal Grey are decent colours to go for. Some people will question the wisdom of black shoes with a navy suit, but I feel that you need black shoes for an interview, so grey would be a safe route to go down. Interview clothes need to be safe and dark coloured for most industries.

I agree with everyone else about a black tie with a black suit for interviews. Not good. Get a decent but fairly sombre tie – stripes or paisley if you like, but in a sane colour.

M&S do some of the best suits on the high street according to one of the Saville row boys who has his own blog. Sales are fairly regular, so if you can, try and time your purchase well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And whatever you do, don't convince yourself that you are a 30'' waist if you are a 32'' – get a suit that fits. Spend ages looking at it in a mirror – does it scrunch on the shoulders? Does the seat hang off your arse? Are the sleeves the right length (if you stand relaxed and straight you should just be able to touch the sleeve with your fingertips if you clench your hand up).

A cheap suit that fits will look much better than an expensive one that doesn't.

wwaswas

make sure you lift your hands up and see what happens when trying on.

a suit cut so sparingly that the shoulders are up past your ears as soon as your hands are lifted over waist height is no good to anyone.

tron
    Free Member

get a suit that fits

I find it's best to take a woman with you for this. I'm firmly of the "If it's big enough, it fits" school, and I've lost patience after 15 minutes in the shop.

lunge

Go for charcoal grey, single breasted, 2 button from M&S or Debenhams
    Get some nice back shoes and a good black belt (never wear a suit without a belt and if you do go for brown shoes make sure the belt matches the shoes)
    Get a well fitted white shirt, wear it with a pastel tie for the wedding and something more sombre for the interview. I think navy blue looks good with grey so would go with that.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion, I feel, has nailed it with every post in this thread.

Just do what he says… exactly what he says!

theflatboy
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    never wear a suit without a belt

if your suits/trousers are made to measure/bespoke then you're going to have trouble wearing a belt without belt loops unless you specify them for some reason.

tails
    Free Member

What do you think of this? I don't normally venture into debenhams but think I might.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh… buy some good cufflinks too, but never buy a tie pin.

lunge

Colours looks about right but you will need to try it on to see how it fits. I have a Karl Jackson suit and it is quite long with suits me as I am a beanpole, it may not suit others.

warton
    Free Member

No pink shirt
    always wear belt with suit
    single breasted

TM lewins do great suits and shirts for little money, check them out, and they will know what fits you and what doesn't.

I've got a TM lewin suit and it fits better than my Paul Smith suit that I was fitted for, go figure!

hels
    Free Member

Thats rather smart.

Are male models getting all super skinny now too ? Not much fat on him. Or maybe it's airbrushed.

thebunk

Charcoal grey wool 2 button single breasted to get you through all life's suit wearing situations.

Fit is most important, so if you don't conform to industry standard sizing you can often find 50% off made to measure in House of Fraser, Debenhams etc. M2M means it will deffo fit, and you can choose material and lining.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Debenhams have a sale on made to measure on right now. M&S have a huge suit sale on.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Never wear black to a wedding.

As for business/work black is too negative and has the potential to make you look pasty and can be hot, it also very noticable if it dis-colours and fades.

Did I also notice someone on here recomend tan shoes with a black suit 😆

You want advice on suits etc and you come to STW? I mean really! A forum for keyboard warriors who wear missmatched sports kit to get sweaty in. If you really want advice try this or here

tails
    Free Member

This looks good but really at the top end I want to spend, as I don't wear suits daily or even monthly.

M2M means it will deffo fit

that would be great apart from I'm doing that idave diet/eating plan.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Practical Matt – Have you learnt to turn left yet?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Oh… buy some good cufflinks too, but never buy a tie pin.

Yep – cufflinks and a shirt with foldback cuffs (can't remember the proper term for them – basically cuffs designed specifically for cufflinks)

M&S have a huge suit sale on.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

*Top tip*
    To really impress the wedding party, find out what colour theme they have got going and get a tie to compliment it.

brassneck

If you're in that London and like the mod look, Merc do some nice suits not overly expensive – I've had years of gigging, weddings, christenings etc. out of mine.

ourmaninthenorth

Was thinking of buying a black suit

Stopped reading at that point… 😯

carriegold
    Free Member

I am stunned at some of the good advice I've seen here. Who would have guessed you all scrubbed up OK? 😛

BTW please, please DO NOT wear brown shoes and/or belt with a dark blue suit.

theflatboy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    *Top tip*
    To really impress the wedding party, find out what colour theme they have got going and get a tie to compliment it.

get your tie to tell the colour theme it likes what it's done with its hair?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Wedding/Interview Gladrags.’ is closed to new replies.