• This topic has 101 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ready.
Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Wedding songs: First dance
  • zinaru
    Free Member

my mate (and my best man) was adamant that his first dance was going to be ‘the birdy song’ by the tweets but his wife said no way.

when i got married we didnt have a first dance as such but when we signed the paperwork after the ceremony ‘long time coming’ by crosby stills and nash was blaring… emma and i had only been together for over 20 years before we got married (and she asked me!).

if we had to choose a first dance tune it would simply have been something we both loved and easily be ‘archangel thunderbird’ by amon düül II which as been a track thats been with us forever…

Nico
    Free Member

‘archangel thunderbird’ by amon düül II

Good grief, I haven’t heard that in over forty years!

zinaru
    Free Member

nico – i wasnt born when it was released!
    ive have loved all that stuff for years. julian cope’s book has a lot to answer for on my impressionable mind!

BillMC

I had the great misfortune of being at a mate’s wedding where they chose Bob Dylan’s ‘Lay, Lady Lay’. The embarrassment was visceral.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

We had Smack my Bitch Up, it was lovley

bombjack
    Free Member

Louis Armstrong – We have all the time in the world.
    Mainly ’cause its from our favourite Bond film.

ThePinkster

To drunk to ….. B52s (?)

Dead Kennedys actually.

I’m getting married on Saturday and we’re not having a dance. t’s only a small do & the whole ceremony doesn’t start til 4 in the afternoon and the meal afterwards (all music provided by a pianist who has played with such luminaries as the Manchester symphony, Rod Stewart, several big bands, etc.) There will just be background music after the meal for drinking to.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dashed 😀

fasthaggis

Little trip to heaven – Tom Waits.
    One of the artists we both love.

I whisked her round the floor without breaking any toes.
    Result

steve-g
    Free Member

Yesterday………….all my troubles seemed so far away, now it seems as though they’re here to stay, oh I believe, in yesterday.

We had “I swear” by some boy band I don’t know the name of, a cheesey classic that Mrs-g, or Miss-soon-to-be-g I suppose she was chose.

I wanted “You are the best thing” by Ray Lamontagne so we had that second. I still lie to people who ask that this was our first dance to avoid the embarrassment.

jimdubleyou

We had “I swear” by some boy band I don’t know the name of, a cheesey classic that Mrs-g, or Miss-soon-to-be-g I suppose she was chose.

Grounds for Divorce – Elbow.

bodgy
    Free Member

We had Newton Faulkner’s acoustic cover of ‘Teardrop’ by Massive Attack.
    “Love; Love is a verb, Love is a doing word.”

user-removed
    Free Member

adamant that his first dance was going to be ‘the birdy song’

My mate played bass on the ‘B’ side of that single. Jazzer Rowson – a talented man.

NJA

We chose – I Love You Because You Understand Me – Jim Reeves, slow dance lyrics with real meaning.

We got up to dance and the DJ announced the song we had chosen followed by the words ‘But I haven’t got that one so here’s the Power of Love by Jennifer Rush’

One very unhappy pair of newlyweds.

It was 1985 but Jennifer Rush was the worst of the three Power of Love songs released that year, and he only had to ask and we could have lent him our copy of ‘I love you because’.

durhambiker
    Free Member

We had Love Walked In by Thunder, and we were both absolutely steaming by the time we got round to doing the first dance. Cracking night that, from what I can recall. Getting your friendly local to host your reception is the way forward. Didn’t cost us a penny, and they even got a local brewery to do us a special ale.

gaidong
    Free Member

“Scarborough Fair” for us, for some convoluted stereo-fail related reason. It was as bad as it sounds.

kcr
    Free Member

+1 for the ceilidh approach. We had a Circassian Circle, so everyone was on the floor for the first dance. More fun than watching two people shuffling round on their own.

timber

Lottery Winners on Acid – The Crimea
    Think it makes more sense if you listen to the lyrics.

Like others, we didn’t really fancy the attention of a first dance, so after a ceilidh, we just slipped it into the playlist and it was the first song we danced together to, after legging it to the dance floor from different parts of the building to find each other.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Miracle by foo fighters. Little known but awesome song…

2tyred

Mrs Tyred and I have been together for 20 years and have two kids but we’ve never got married because we can’t agree on what the first song would be.

I want Cave Bitch by Ice Cube, it’s a deal-breaker for me.

No Cave Bitch, no wedding.

Figure it’s saved me a fortune, every year.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

We had the “You and Me Song” by The Wannadies
    Combination of shuffling and pogo-ing.

Ace. nearly 15 years ago and everytime I hear it I smile.

ready

My brother in law had It Takes Two – Rob Base. Good call!

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Wedding songs: First dance’ is closed to new replies.