Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wedding ring repair (wedding ring content)
  • sandwicheater

Caught my bar/hand on a tree on last nights ride.

Noticed this morning my wedding band is now a lovely oval shape. Just managed to get it off with a great deal of effing and grease.

18 carrot white gold so unsure how brittle/soft and if my ham fisted bashing will get it back to shape.

Can a jewellers sort it?

Ideas to get back to shape?

legend
    Free Member

Yeah a jeweller can do pretty much anything you want with it.

Do you always wear your ring when riding? The idea of a “de-gloving” makes sure that I never do!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

just needs a quick reshape with a slightly conical ring bar thing. easy job.

Edit ..for a jeweller i mean.

RoterStern
    Free Member

All you need is a ring mandrel and a rubber mallet. Just put the ring on the mandrel and tap gently with the mallet. As it is rubber it won’t stretch the gold and you just tap it round until it is snug to the mandrel and then it is round again. A quick polish to get rid of any scratches and jobs a good ‘un.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

All you need is a ring mandrel

That’s the fella…I was close with ‘slightly conical ring bar thing’ 😆

sandwicheater

😯 Just googled ‘degloving’ images.

Shall never wear my ring again on a ride.

Cheers guys, to the jewellers I go.

gogg
    Free Member

I wear mine on a piece of string around my neck when not on my finger. Never gets lost that way (lost in a pocket for a couple of months was a twitchy time).

jekkyl

Og good god I just google image searched degloving as well. 😕

njee20
    Free Member

I have nothing to add, but to say I know a chap who degloved his face in a particularly grim crash. 😯

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve always left my ring at home…seeing those images will stop the missus from asking me to wear the ring when riding!!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Until you’re breaking in a brooks.

llama

careful you don’t split your ring

painful

bigG
    Free Member

I will continue to wear my ring pretty much all of the time, and only remove it when there’s a genuine risk of degloving my finger. I can’t think of many bike related crashes where I’m likely to end up with something caught between ring and finger.

Call me a rebel if you want but if you’re that worried about this, do you also coat your balls in cotton wool when walking downstairs and wear eye protection when picking your nose? Your finger might slip, imagine the carnage!

sandwicheater

How did you know that I like my balls all warm and wooly?

I ride with/without gloves and a great deal of our trails have those tree things.

You never plan to have an off but I can easily see how a branch on the ground could snag on my ring when I have an off. Just never considered it before.

graemep
    Free Member

I’m fatter than I was when I got married and have tried to remove my wedding for cleaning without success.

I always wear gloves when riding, but do you think maybe wrapping a bit of elastoplast around the ring will lessen any chance of de-gloving in a crash?

waveydavey
    Free Member

Or get yourself a ring wrapper.

sandwicheater

Divorce and sell the ring for bike parts, think that’s what I’ll do.

CountZero

Just googled ‘degloving’ images.

I can’t understand anyone not wearing gloves when riding, just to protect from brambles, raspberry fingertips and grazed palms after an off, or damage just from hitting a tree, which I’ve done slaloming through the trees on the cheeky trails in the FoD; gloves with carbon knuckle protection are a god-send doing that.
    The thought of riding without gloves makes me queasy.

hammyuk
    Free Member

De-gloving isn’t necessarily about something getting between the ring and the finger – it’s almost never that way round.
    Almost always the ring itself gets trapped whilst the finger continues to move……

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I lost my wedding ring on honeymoon so don’t have this problem. The wife wasn’t too happy of course !
    Understatement of the year

trevron73
    Free Member

I had two wedding rings both bent out of shape from working ,so last month i took them to a jewelry repair shop and asked the man to melt them both down and make me a new super sized one. He let me watch him do it all in the workshop – melt them down in a mini furnace,then he made a mini bullion bar (that looked amazing)heated and rolled it down,then joined and smoothed the join, before giving it to his wife who buffed and polished it ,it took 45 mins start to finish and cost £12. I am in Thailand though? It was fascinating all the same .

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

PSA: DO NOT DO AN IMAGE SEARCH FOR DE-GLOVING!

I rarely wear gloves and always wear my ring… that’s going to change!

back on-topic. I have a stainless steel wedding band and it was slightly ovalised. A small jewelers dorted it for me for a couple of pounds whilst I waited.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wedding ring repair (wedding ring content)’ is closed to new replies.