Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • wecommend me a wormery
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

as it says really

enough for the output of a couple (no kids)

needs to look nice too

danti

Just get any plastic barrel (eg water-butt with a reasonably tight fitting lid)

Drill half a dozen holes towards bottom of it to help with drainage, (not too big for the little blighters to escape through!) or put a piece of rag over the holes.

Get some “brandling?” worms from your local angling bait shop, you don’t need too many (20 turned into about 200 in a year!). Don’t waste money on “tiger” worms as this is all they are.

Put some soil & damp newspaper at bottom of barrel then put em in with kitchen/garden waste on top (they always seem to work their way to the top of the tub). They don’t like citrus waste or rhubarb leaves (poisonous!).

It tends to take 6 months for them to munch through my large water butt of waste and I use a fork to empty it and then put the younger ones back in for the next load. Let the older ones loose on the garden.

Job done.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Or http://www.thewormhotel.com

although it might not come under good looking…

bruneep

or find a minging mutt from your local cooncil estate.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Just grow them in your ordinary compost heap. I had a wormery once, got fed up, and didn’t maintain it. After 18 months of neglect, the half dozen remaining live worms were thrown into my normal plastic compost bins.

Hey presto, now I have thousands of them munching away. Whenever I pull out a particularly wormy ball of compost from the door at the bottom, (You regularly get tennis-ball sized orgy-fests of solid “worm”!), I drop those bits back on the top, and use the rest of the compost as normal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘wecommend me a wormery’ is closed to new replies.